PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Atlanta draft with Dimitroff

Status
Not open for further replies.

PonyExpress

In the Starting Line-Up
Reaction score
I was counting on Atlanta drafting McFadden to appeal to SEC fans and bring back the fan base to the empty Georgia Dome. With a sharp guy like Dimitroff there, I don't think they'll take a rb that high for PR purposes. More likely Matt Ryan if Miami passes, or Chris Long as another Kerney.

For some reason Falcons' fans don't want to draft a qb with their top pick. At least that's what you can read on the draftcountdown messageboard.

http://www.nfldraftcountdown.com/forum/showthread.php?t=16365

They have 2 second rounders ( Houston and their own ) and they probably believe they can find a good qb in a later round or trade up later in the draft. They have some many holes to fill and a rookie qb would struggle anyway so they might just draft BPA, regardless of position. It's not like their one qb away from competing for a playoff spot.

If Carroll becomes their HC, I can see them trading for Cassell ( Dimitroff drafted him, Carroll coached him ) or drafting USC's John David Booty in a later round.

BTW I think, of all slumping franchises, Atlanta is the hardest to turn around in the right direction.

Last edited:
For some reason Falcons' fans don't want to draft a qb with their top pick. At least that's what you can read on the draftcountdown messageboard.

http://www.nfldraftcountdown.com/forum/showthread.php?t=16365

They have 2 second rounders ( Houston and their own ) and they probably believe they can find a good qb in a later round or trade up later in the draft. They have some many holes to fill and a rookie qb would struggle anyway so they might just draft BPA, regardless of position. It's not like their one qb away from competing for a playoff spot.

If Carroll becomes their HC, I can see them trading for Cassell ( Dimitroff drafted him, Carroll coached him ) or drafting USC's John David Booty in a later round.

BTW I think, of all slumping franchises, Atlanta is the hardest to turn around in the right direction.

Falcon fans are really just SEC fans slumming it. They don't believe in the ACC, they don't believe in BC as a football power, and Ryan is the opposite of Vick, someone the fans embraced for many years. So they have a regional bias against him for many reasons. However, IMo Ryan will be a great pro and the fan base will be proved wrong. Once that happens, they will love the pick. The problem is, there are alot of internal problems on that team, and I wonder if some of Vicks buddies on the offensive side of the ball will accept the next #1 Qb, with such a different style, with open arms. Dimitroff and the next coach may have to weed these people out and completely change the team's culture away from the "Dirty Birds" and back to the "Grits Blitz" style of the Bartkowski era.

make no mistake, Rich McKay still has final say on all personnel matters.

I think the Browns would love Atlanta's second round pick, since they have no first. I think the Falcons should send their second rounder and a 2009 #2 or #3 to Cleveland for Brady Quinn (well ahead of the draft). That would free up their first pick for best available player at a need position (could be McFadden) or a draft day trade down.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/10: News and Notes