PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Atlanta Breakdown

Status
Not open for further replies.

Box_O_Rocks

PatsFans.com Supporter
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
For those of you who aren't familiar with our efforts last season, some of us did some breakdowns of the games to try and get a little better understanding of what went on. Pats1 and myself have started a division of labor for the Atlanta game, he will be working on the first three series or drives (as NFL.com calls them http://www.nfl.com/gamecenter/drives/NFL_20060811_NE@ATL). I've done a breakdown of the 4th drive or the 2nd Offensive Series (O2) for New England.

The format is for a macro created by Patsfan37 when he was formatting each breakdown and posting them on his website last year, then his consulting business took off forcing him to work for a living. ;) We've stuck with it in case the opportunity to work together again develops this season.

m: down and distance
r: the play and the result of the play
o: offensive formation
d: defensive formation
b: blocking
c: coverage
a: analysis
n: notes

This series is O2 01:44 0:58 NE 47 3 -5 Fumble
O2 - NE 2nd Offensive Series
1:44 - left in the quarter (1st)
0:58 - time of drive
NE 47 - starting yard marker
3 - number of downs in the drive
-5 - number of yards in the drive
Fumble - result of the drive

You can see this was the critical strip sack series that gave Atlanta such good field position.

So here it is:

O2 01:44 0:58 NE 47 3 -5 Fumble

Score: 3; 3

m: 1st and 10
r: Stretch play left, 3 yds
o: L-R Gorin, Yates, Mruczkowski, Stevenson, O’Callahaghan
2 TE left Rasby inline, Watson flanker
2 WR right, Caldwell in slot, ?? outside
Cassel, Maroney
d: 4-3, SLB on Rasby’s left shoulder, MLB over LG 5 yds deep, WLB over RG 5 yds deep, secondary rotated right, SS came online over Watson, RCB came up in press coverage outside.
b: RDE ran free; O’Callaghan cut RDT; Neal chased WLB; Mruczkowski driven into the backfield but tied up the LDT; Rasby blocked down on the LDE; Watson blocked down on the SLB; Gorin pulled and blocked the SS; Yates pulled and cut both the MLB and WLB as they bunched up on the edge.
a: Maroney was turned back inside by the SS into the pursuit down the line by the unblocked RDE. Looked like he didn’t trust Gorin to get the block on the SS though Gorin did a nice job on it. O’Callaghan and Yates threw nice cut blocks, the WLB just outran Neal to the edge. A better blocking decision would have been for Gorin to ignore the SS leaving him for Yates and beat the MLB to the edge sealing him inside - Yates could have kicked the SS outside allowing Maroney to cut behind him and outside Gorin’s seal.

m: 2nd and 7
r: Pass Caldwell, incomplete.
o: WR 2 left, 1 right, Watson at TE R, Maroney. Caldwell wide left, Childress in motion-slot left to right.
d: 4-3, press coverage left side, SLB online outside TE, slot motion backed the defender off the line.
b: Watson stayed in doubled LDE with Gorin; Yates drove the LDT to the right; Mruczkowski helped Stevenson with the RDT; O’Callaghan kept good position on the RDE.
c: Man coverage with a S in centerfield; all three LBs slid a couple steps to the left and spied; Maroney came underneath into the LB clump; Childress squared out right underneath the unidentified WR’s corner route.
a: Cassel did not come out from under center cleanly, starting with some kind of baby step, then dropped three steps and set himself poorly, overthrowing a wide open Caldwell.

m: 3rd and 7
r: Strip sack, fumble recovered by Atlanta.
o: Shotgun, RB (Faulk) left, Watson flanked right, 2 WR right, 1 left.
d: 4-2 nickel, secondary soft.
b: Watson stayed in to help O’Callaghan, blocking the RDE back inside then releasing outside as a dumpoff; O’Callaghan picked up the RDE off Watson’s release; Stevenson stood up the RDT; Mruczkowski was unoccupied; Yates stood up the LDT; Gorin rode the LDE downfield; Faulk acted like he was going to chip the LDE, but had to take a step outside to avoid being stepped on by Gorin and missed his shot before running a squareout left down the LOS.
c: Slot receiver was bumped inside the 5 yd mark; LBs dropped into shallow zones outside each hashmark.
a: Gorin was supposed to have help on the play, but Abraham’s rush was strong enough to force Faulk to sidestep out of his chip angle; Cassel took a seven step drop but didn’t react to Abraham’s rush by taking a step up into a very nice pocket.
n: In the game thread I put the blame on Gorin for not keeping Abraham off Cassel, but with Faulk unable to get his chip on Abraham and Cassel too inexperienced to feel the pressure and step up into a well formed pocket, I have to give Gorin credit for doing a better job then I gave him credit for. He isn't our best pass blocker, but in this case he had good position and didn't get the help he needed to make the play work. He did okay for a reserve LT working against a premier pass rusher. Faulk did a good job not to trip Brandon, but missing his chip didn't help the situation, Cassel could have salvaged the play and probably will in the future as he learns more.

On the Gorin play where he surrendered the strip-sack to Abraham, I immediately said to myself if it were Brady, that he would have stepped up and completed a ball. That one was on Cassel more than anyone. That said, Gorin did not exactly cover himself in glory. Kazcur's return is highly anticipated, by myself at least.

Richter said:
On the Gorin play where he surrendered the strip-sack to Abraham, I immediately said to myself if it were Brady, that he would have stepped up and completed a ball. That one was on Cassel more than anyone. That said, Gorin did not exactly cover himself in glory. Kazcur's return is highly anticipated, by myself at least.
No question Kac showed he could get the job done at either OT slot, but Gorin is a decent RT, just not who I want on the blind side, watching tape I could see where the coaches made allowance for him, his teammates let him down. I give him a passing grade on this play, if only because I knew going in that he needed help and it would have been okay if Faulk and Cassel had done their part.

Last edited:
Box_O_Rocks said:
No question Kac showed he could get the job done at either OT slot, but Gorin is a decent RT, just not who I want on the blind side, watching tape I could see where the coaches made allowance for him, his teammates let him down. I give him a passing grade on this play, if only because I knew going in that he needed help and it would have been okay if Faulk and Cassel had done their part.
Agreed - reasonable. Like Richter said, Cassel didn't seem to sense the pressure coming like Brady probably would. Gorin did keep the DE outside. I think you are also saying that Faulk could have helped if he had executed a brush block on the DE as he came out of the backfield.

arrellbee said:
Agreed - reasonable. Like Richter said, Cassel didn't seem to sense the pressure coming like Brady probably would. Gorin did keep the DE outside. I think you are also saying that Faulk could have helped if he had executed a brush block on the DE as he came out of the backfield.
Yes - if you watch Faulk on the tape, you can see he had to take a step back and outside to avoid being stepped on by Gorin as Abraham drove into him. Faulk makes a feint at Abraham, but it looks like he changed his mind and chose instead to get to his dumpoff route for Cassel. Since I know he is a devastating pass blocker in his own right, I think he got out of position and had to make a split-second decision to hit Abraham from behind (possible foul) or get out on his route - tough call.

Here's the TD series:

D3 00:46 0:04 NE 21 1 21 Touchdown

Score 3; 3

r: Pass to Jenkins, TD.
o: I formation, WR to each side, TE R.
d: 3-4, CBs soft;
DL Wright, LeKevin Smith, Santonio Thomas
LB Colvin, Gardner, Beisel, Banta-Cain
RCB Samuel
SS Sanders
FS Hawkins
LCB ??
b: LT was beaten by Banta-Cain; LG slowed S.Thomas and got help from the C; C and RG doubled L.Smith before C released and RG was nearly beaten up the middle; RT stood up Wright.
c: Samuel in man; Colvin dropped into a middle zone on right side; Beisel picked up the up-back underneath; Gardner picked up the TE up the seam.
a: Play action got no bite from LBs, good read; The pass left Schaub’s hands at 3.5 seconds on a 5 step drop; Banta-Cain had the 7 step drop nailed, beating the LT, too bad it was a 5 step drop; Sanders probably came up on the TE coming up the seam, leaving Samuel alone outside on the taller receiver; nice high toss to a taller receiver, Samuel had good position but was out jumped.

Extra point good.
Score 3; 10

I'm working my way through the first drive as we speak.

Some early notes:

-Gardner made a good play on the first stop.

-Wilfork was the victim of a non-called block in the back which sprung Dunn for 17.

-Warren can't get off any blocks so far.

-The Pats used a Cover-3 zone for Atlanta's first passing play (15 yd. sideline completion)

Last edited:
Box, Pats1,
This ... again ... is so helpful and illuminating.
Best account of the game i read !

Great stuff as usual boys, thanks for the hard work you guys put into this.

O3 00:42 3:03 NE 20 7 64 Field Goal

Score: 3; 10

Kickoff: bounced between Kight and Andrews, recovered/kneeldown in end zone by Andrews.

r: Maroney counter up the middle, 8 yds.
o: Kight split left, Childress right, 2 TE right-Watson inline, Thomas flanker, Childress in motion inside to slot, Maroney at TB.
d: 4-3, all LBs 5 yds deep shaded right, SS up with LBs to the right, RCB soft, LCB press, SS moved down on the line with WR motion, RCB shifted in and down a couple steps closer to line.
b: Childress locked up the SS; Stevenson turned the RDT out and drove him; O’Callaghan dropped as if in pass protection drawing the RDE downfield; Mruczkowski turned the LDT left and steered him wide; Yates pulled behind Gorin blocking the LDE; Watson went upfield and took on the SLB; Gorin went upfield and took on the WLB; Thomas led Maroney through the hole and cleaned up the MLB and the SLB who had thrown Watson off; Kight had the LCB locked up upfield.
a: Blocking booboos, Watson was shaken off by the SLB, but stood him up enough that D.Thomas’ block drove the MLB into him clearing the running lane (they were still 5 yds upfield); Gorin was shaken off the WLB who was out of position and was dragged 4 yds by Maroney; Yates did a nice job of staying with the LDE who saw the play developing and tried to pursue upfield, he got a piece of Maroney to start slowing him, but he did it reaching over Yates who was working him the whole way; Childress and Kight had nice blocks for WRs.

m: 2nd and 2
r: Run off right side, 5 yds.
o: Childress split right, Kight split left, 2 TE right-Rasby online, Watson flanker, Maroney TB, Childress in motion inside to slot.
d: 4-3, D-line shifted left (RDT on nose) SLB on line over flanker, LCB press, RCB soft-came in a little with motion, SS in the box outside the SLB and 3 yds off the line.
b: Mruczkowski sealed the LDT left; Stevenson turned the RDT left and ran him around in a circle; O’Callaghan and Rasby drove the RDE back into the MLB and WLB; Childress stood the SS up; Watson turned the SLB inside; Yates pulled and ran into Watson’s block taking all three to the ground; Gorin checked down on the LDT, then picked up the LDE.
a: Atlanta’s line offset left created a two-on-one matchup on the RDE; Maroney ran into Childress’ block, knocking Childress off that block and allowing the SS and RCB to wrap him up; Childress locked onto the WLB coming off the SS and kept him out of the play; The scrum of O’Callaghan, Rasby, RDE, MLB, WLB caused O’Callaghan to go down, Rasby picked up the MLB off the release, the RDE was out of the play.
n: Childress has been excellent in blocking on back-to-back plays; The second string O-line is doing some pretty impressive run blocking.
n: End of the 1st Qtr

r: Pass to Watson on crossing route, 44 yds.
o: I formation Maroney TB, Evans FB; Kight split right close-in, 2 TE left-Rasby online, Watson flanker.
d: 4-3, line shifted right (LDT on nose), SLB over Watson, LCB in tight to formation, SS up with LBs (9 men in the box).
b: Gorin stood up the LDE; Mruczkowski stood up the LDT and handed him off to Yates; O’Callaghan rode the RDE out and downfield; Stevenson rode the RDT out and downfield-RDT spun back inside which didn’t lose Stevenson but ran him into a waiting Mruczkowski.
c: Evans took the MLB outside to the flat; Maroney sucked up the WLB and SLB underneath; Rasby came underneath dragging the SLB who released him to the SS; Kight ran a deep pattern drawing the RCB and FS; Watson drove the LCB deep, then broke off into a crossing pattern.
a: The Pats’ were in a run formation with everyone in tight, this sucked nine men into box, allowing the two speedsters (Watson and Kight) to put pressure on the upfield coverage and force the FS to commit; Nice pocket by the O-line; play action to Maroney froze the LBs.

r: Maroney sweep right, 9 yds.
o: Childress wide left, Kight wide right, Maroney at TB, 2 TE left-Watson flanked next to Gorin with Rasby on the line outside him, Childress motioned a step inside then set.
d: 4-3, SLB online outside Rasby, WLB online outside O’Callaghan, SS up to the left of the MLB, RCB press, LCB soft.
b: O’Callaghan got inside the RDE; Stevenson cut the RDT; Yates stood up the LDT; Rasby blocked down on the LDE; Watson came behind him, hand checked the SLB and released him for the MLB which he whiffed on; Mruczkowski pulled and checked the SLB off Watson’s release; Gorin pulled and cut the MLB off Watson’s whiff; Childress took down the LCB.
a: Excellent blocking by all but Watson got Maroney to the corner where he threw off the SS’ tackle attempt and rumbled just inches shy of a 1st down behind Childress’ block.

m: 2nd and 1
r: Maroney dive left side, loss of 3 yds.
o: Kight split slot right, 3 TE, Watson right, 2 left-Rasby online, D.Thomas flanker, Maroney TB.
d: 4-3, SLB over D.Thomas, LCB in tight with LBs, SS in box with LBS (9 men in box), LCB press on Kight (9 1/2 in box).
b: D.Thomas blocked LCB upfield; Rasby drove SLB off the line; Gorin stood up the LDE; Yates chipped the LDE then blocked the MLB upfield; Mruczkowski got inside the LDT and lost his leverage; Stevenson stood up the RDT and released him to O’Callaghan, then missed the WLB shooting the hole; Watson stood up the RDE.
a: On 2nd and inches, NE went to the run from a power formation working against 9 men in the box; Atlanta was ready, but only Mruczkowski losing his leverage on the LDT prevented the 1st down; The play was designed to go inside where Atlanta had their defense stacked, Cassel could have checked to a pitch left for Maroney and had a shot at a TD with the Atlanat D sucked in as tight as they were (inexperience or coaches apron strings?).

m: 3rd and 4
r: QB scramble, 1 yd.
o: Shotgun, Evans left, Childress split right, Kight split left, TE right-Watson flanked in 2 pt. stance, unidentified WR online outside Watson, Childress in motion inside for trips right.
d: 4-2 nickel, press coverage left, soft right and nickel.
b: Gorin picked up LDE and rode him outside and downfield; Yates stood up LDT; Mruczkowski doubled LDT with Yates and drove him left; Stevenson stood up RDT; O’Callaghan dropped too deep allowing RDE to come underneath him and flush Cassel; Evans chipped the LDE and circled out for a dumpoff.
c: LCB in man on Kight, bad TV angle for rest.
a: Cassel forgot where his dumpoff man was, focusing on the right side where the trips were trying to get open; Cassel scrambled right, the RDE and the MLB were able to sandwhich him before he got the first down; Evans as the dumpoff on the left side appeared wide open for the first down.

m: 4th and 3
r: Gostkowski 34 yard FG
n: Squeezed the kick just inside the right upright kicking from the right hashmark.

Score: 6; 10

Last edited:
Great, great analysis guys. This kind of stuff is the reason we have the best, most intelligent message board.
I was really impressed with the play of O'Callaghan and Stevenson. Stevenson gets overlooked, but I felt he was a steal for a sixth rounder. ND's OL was a huge reason they were sucessful last year.
I noticed that both Watson and Thomas do not even come close to blocking like Graham. Did you see that TE trap we tried to run with Thomas? I remember Graham absolutely destroying Marcus Tubbs of the Seahawks in 2004

Last edited:
Ichiro said:
Great, great analysis guys. This is why kind of stuff is the reason we have the best, most intelligent message board.
I was really impressed with the play of O'Callaghan and Stevenson. Stevenson gets overlooked, but I felt he was a steal for a sixth rounder. ND's OL was a huge reason they were sucessful last year.
I noticed that both Watson and Thomas do not even come close to blocking like Graham. Did you see that TE trap we tried to run with Thomas? I remember Graham absolutely destroying Marcus Tubbs of the Seahawks in 2004
Watson's blocking that I've seen so far matches where he was last year, poor with fits of brilliance. Thomas has had one block on what I've rewatched and he took out two LBs, I imagine it was a fluke, but it showed what he could be in a couple years.

Imagine our running game with a healthy Graham, Kaczur and Koppen. Watch out!

Box: Totally agree with your assessment of the strip sack play. Gorin blocked about as well as could be expected. It's not like Abraham came free. Faulk probably didn't need to risk chipping the guy because he figured that he was already headed behind Cassel, and therefore Cassel needed only to step forward and complete a pass. That was mostly on Cassel.

Pats1: If you want to mention blocks in the back and missed calls, I saw a hold on almost every play against our first string defense linemen, and a couple blocks in the back, and a take down. I hate it when teams realize that they can simply cheat on every play because the refs can't see what happens right in front of their eyes.

I was encouraged by seeing most of our O-line look okay, but then, Atlanta doesn't have a great Defense. That big D-Lineman, Jackson?, that Atlanta drafted seemed to give us the most trouble in the second quarter and onward. Big dude!

Box: How would you grade our O-linemen as far as who was hot and not hot? I thought Mruczkowski looked bad on a couple plays, and I thought our rookies looked good. I remember you said that O'Callaghan had a bad senior bowl, but he is supposed to have good potential as a mauler.

5 Rings for Brady!! said:
Box: How would you grade our O-linemen as far as who was hot and not hot? I thought Mruczkowski looked bad on a couple plays, and I thought our rookies looked good. I remember you said that O'Callaghan had a bad senior bowl, but he is supposed to have good potential as a mauler.
Let me get some more tape under my belt before trying to grade them. As it was, I thought the second string did a nice job so far.

guys..any takes on dean pees as the defense coord and play calling last nite..probably too early to judge in the preseason but any observations from last nite ?

5 Rings for Brady!! said:
Pats1: If you want to mention blocks in the back and missed calls, I saw a hold on almost every play against our first string defense linemen, and a couple blocks in the back, and a take down. I hate it when teams realize that they can simply cheat on every play because the refs can't see what happens right in front of their eyes.

You may be right, but on the play I'm working on right now (Dunn 1 yd. run), the exact same thing happened. Wilfork engages with the C, LG turns and puts a shoulder into Wilfork's back, sending Wilfork to his knees, LG quickly turns downfield.

This time though, Wilfork, from the ground, grabs at Dunn's ankles to stop the run.

Last edited:
SVN said:
guys..any takes on dean pees as the defense coord and play calling last nite..probably too early to judge in the preseason but any observations from last nite ?
Too early, but I have a good feeling - no wait, that's the breakfast drugs kicking in.

pats1 said:
You may be right, but on the play I'm working on right now (Dunn 1 yd. run), the exact same thing happened. Wilfork engages with the C, LG turns and puts a shoulder into Wilfork's back, sending Wilfork to his knees, LG quickly turns downfield.
A block in the back along the O-line isn't necessarily illegal, I'd have to look at the play before I started cussing.

Last edited by a moderator:
bump to get this back at the top where we can find it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Back