PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Athletes negotiating in public..what is to be gained??

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pats726

Veteran Starter w/Big Long Term Deal
Reaction score
I'm curious about players that are in contract disputes..what they do, say...basically their PR...and wondering what one does and what they hope to accomplish in their actions and words.
A few cases in point...Law in one offseason went on the "Feed my Family" tour with grumblings about his contract, yet he was in camp Day one and was totally professional about it.
Seymour said little if nothing, was at the offseason workout program and charity events, but NOT in minicamp or training camp. His holdout was direct, but he kept it from flaring up and it was a lot easier to get to a win-win situation.
Branch said little other than a mistruth about what he planned to do early on and a brief basically no coomment chat during the summer. He said little, but his actions, from refusing to negotiate in good faith, to demanding a trade off of showing up training camp on a contract he was under for not being franchised to holding out, to holding out of camp, spoke loudly. Also, his agent talked for him in various ways. The way it ended was little surprise since it was hardly close to a win-win situation.
With Samuel, I am really unsure what and why he is spouting off so much. The inconsistency of at first saying he was "honored" to be franchised has now turned into words of the Patriots NOT appreciating him. What is he gaining by going public by all this??
Years ago, players usually went public to get the aid of fans to put pressure on management to get more money, and in some cases of outstanding play (Seymour) a player doesn't have to say anything to have fans on their side. I think with the Patriots, it's a bit harder because of the salary cap and the team's rule of NOT overpaying and the fans understanding of this.
But what is Samuel gaining by spouting words now?? Is he attempting to get fans on his side?? The Patriots know where he stands as do other teams...so what is he trying to do..just cause problems?? And how is that REALLY helping him??
I truly think sometimes more gets done with keeping negotiations quiet and professional than bringing them public.
Although each of these cases is different, it's obvious to me that with Samuel, it is closer to what happened with Branch than with Seymour and that most likely it will not end in a mutial agreement.
I do think it's interesting that Samuel's agent had supposedly wished Samuel not go public.
Comments???

Last edited:
He's partially looking for an audience outside his immediate family who will listen. But he's mostly telegraphing to the other 31 teams in the league his belief that he is ripe for a trade deal because he ain't playing here (t's getting personal). The public display is often more convincing to other GM's than the individual phone call from an agent testing the waters. And it signals they may have a little trade negotiation leverage as a result. Teams often need to believe that if they gear up for a run at a player, there is a real good shot they will land him. As opposed to being used to drive up the price for that player (which in turn ultimately impacts their potential future signings at the position) and close the gap between him and his present employer.

In Adam's case, as an example, 31 teams apparently believed (and some were reportedly led to believe) he was never not going to be resigned by NE, and they were not about to waste time and effort courting him as a result. Once word got out that he was in fact a real FA, the Colts pounced. And the Cowboys kicked themselves in the ass (literally and figuratively) for allowing themselves to be lulled into not doing due diligence.

Last edited:
He's partially looking for an audience outside his immediate family who will listen. But he's mostly telegraphing to the other 31 teams in the league his belief that he is ripe for a trade deal because he ain't playing here (t's getting personal). The public display is often more convincing to other GM's than the individual phone call from an agent testing the waters.
But in this case, Samuel CAN talk to other teams..as opposed to player under contract..so doesn't he also lose public support if they deem his greivances unreasonable?

But in this case, Samuel CAN talk to other teams..as opposed to player under contract..so doesn't he also lose public support if they deem his greivances unreasonable?

He doesn't really care about public support, especially if he believes he won't be playing here (or at least for long). It's like the old adage, there is no bad press, just press (Vick being an example of an exception to the adage).

Asante may have felt he was falling off everyone's radar with mini camps opening across the land and all. I mean, when was the last time you heard his name mentioned beyond in passing other than locally. He wants the NFL to pay attention to him. He is available, and he wants them to take note of it. This is the time to start his get out of jail campaign.

Briggs was roundly criticized for starting his too early - in March. Now, a month before the deadline for long term deals with franchised players, is when you start biatching what about me? Where is my security? I'm sure Briggs will be heard from soon, considering Chicago hasn't even offered to talk deal with him and Washington tried to get a trade done pre draft. Not to mention Freeney (unless Irsay has placated him by publicly contradicting Polian's public stance that the time isn't right for a long term deal for Dwight). He's attending camp this week, but not participating. But I doubt he's dumb enough to play for $9.5M when a long term deal would easily net him guarantees of upwards of $30M.

Asante is just pre-positioning himself ahead of the pack lest their biatching trumps his down the stretch.

As a franchised player, however, isn't any team willing to sign Asante obliged to give up 2 #1's? At salary demands approaching Nate Clemens level, I suppose it will be 2 years before the receiving team would be able to afford a #1, tho. I like him, but he just aint that good.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes