PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Atheists'/agnostics' thread

gomezcat said:
OK, I'll try to start an argument. Lapsed Catholic atheists are better at guilt than Jewish ones.

I'll tell you about guilt.

The Protestant mother makes her son feel guilty.
The Catholic mother makes her son feel guilty about sex.
The Jewish mother makes her son feel guilty about sex with anyone who's not his mother.

Mike the Brit said:

The Jewish mother makes her son feel guilty about sex with anyone who's not his mother.

:rofl: . Have you had some brave pills today, or something?

gomezcat said:
:rofl: . Have you had some brave pills today, or something?

I like to think that I'm an equal-opportunity insulter ...

Mike the Brit said:

Hey, hey, I thought this was an Atheist thread.

Although that WAS pretty funny!

shmessy said:
Hey, hey, I thought this was an Atheist thread.

Although that WAS pretty funny!

Yes, it belongs in a Woody Allen thread....

I LOVE - and wonder - how Cardinal Law - that lying pig - got a 14K a month stipend in a luscious Vatican apt. for life. How do people live with themselves? Say a Novena? Cross themselves and it's all over? Apparently, yeah.

That fu kking pig Law got REWARDED for sweeping abuse under the rug, but prior to that, had the absolute balls to stick his hand out to parishioners over how bankrupted the Diocese was due to paying out victims. What a scumbag.

I have zero respect for the Catholic Church, and no-one calls that Nazi Youth Ratzinger to account for the child abuse in Bavaria when he personally reported to John Paul. The only thing that's worthy about the Catholic Church is art. They sukk balls at everything else.

Last edited:
They sukk balls at everything else.

Sounds like someone else we know.

NFL_new_york_jets_1.jpg

Meh, I'm not even a proper atheist. Takes too much faith. Agnostic is even stretching it. But consider me a fellow-traveler. They mentioned some stats on the McLaughlin Group as part of their "coverage" of the Day of Reason, some atheist rally in DC.

Bizarro. Pete Stark in California ("Representing the Bay Area," Nixon's priest intoned...) is the only avowed atheist in Congress, but the website for the Day of Reason says there's 28. The question: what is it about our politics that would make people be closeted atheists?

The answer infuriated me... some panelist said people can't trust you if you don't believe in an afterlife.

Holy crap -- where does that put me, as a Jew? Most Christians thing I'll be a crispy critter when their Friends in High Places get a hold of me... and I'm not scared of that. And for that matter, Jews are pretty ambivalent of the character of the afterlife/resurrection. None of it is required belief.

Is that why we can't be trusted?

See I thought it was because we owned the banks and the media...

:)

Meh, I'm not even a proper atheist. Takes too much faith. Agnostic is even stretching it. But consider me a fellow-traveler. They mentioned some stats on the McLaughlin Group as part of their "coverage" of the Day of Reason, some atheist rally in DC.

Bizarro. Pete Stark in California ("Representing the Bay Area," Nixon's priest intoned...) is the only avowed atheist in Congress, but the website for the Day of Reason says there's 28. The question: what is it about our politics that would make people be closeted atheists?

The answer infuriated me... some panelist said people can't trust you if you don't believe in an afterlife.

Holy crap -- where does that put me, as a Jew? Most Christians thing I'll be a crispy critter when their Friends in High Places get a hold of me... and I'm not scared of that. And for that matter, Jews are pretty ambivalent of the character of the afterlife/resurrection. None of it is required belief.

Is that why we can't be trusted?

See I thought it was because we owned the banks and the media...

:)

I can relate to not wanting to be open about being atheists. One day the local church was in my neighborhood going door to door telling people about the church in hopes that some people in the community might walk in.

The old lady about 65 walked up to my door and I didn't mind. We spoke for a short time, and she realized that I wasn't utalizing words like, amen. The kinds of things people of faith say to each other. So she started to dig and it was obvious to me, so I jumped the gun and told her I want comming to here church as I was atheist, and I kindly sent her on her way.

The following week, my door bell rang, the old lady was back, but she wasn't alone. She had brought 5 other followers including the preacher. They attempted to understand me, in hopes that they might find something to change my heart. In short time they accused my mother that she raised me wrong, or mybe my father was bad. Or something bad happened in my life like a loss for a loved one.

I had never been so pissed off. I told them they had to leave. I watched them go, not door to door but back into the car parked outside my home. This trip was made special just for me.

So yeah, I don't walk around telling people I am atheist, I would hate to have to talk to Santorium in congress if thats where my job was.

So yeah, I don't walk around telling people I am atheist, I would hate to have to talk to Santorium in congress if thats where my job was.

Santorum hasn't been in the U.S. Senate since January 2007.

Santorum hasn't been in the U.S. Senate since January 2007.

NO WAY! I was totally confused, you know the guy has been on T.V. for almost a year, his entire life is on the internet, and I had no clue the guy was no longer a member of congress. Thanks for the help.

You know, I understood that he thinks I would burn in hell, but I missed the part where he was kicked out of office in PA, and the people elected the democrat Robert P. Casey Jr.:rocker:

NO WAY! I was totally confused, you know the guy has been on T.V. for almost a year, his entire life is on the internet, and I had no clue the guy was no longer a member of congress. Thanks for the help.

You know, I understood that he thinks I would burn in hell, but I missed the part where he was kicked out of office in PA, and the people elected the democrat Robert P. Casey Jr.:rocker:

He's like a bad penny.

I consider myself an atheist, but the thing about atheism, if you're too much of a purest, it's really just a religion. I suppose I would say the likelihood of God is greater than the likelihood of the Easter Bunny, Santa Claus, or the Tooth Fairy (though that unexplained quarter under my pillow as a little boy remains a mystery). In favor of God is the fact that there are people I hold in high esteem who believed in God, such as Jesus, Martin Luther King, and Gandhi. In addition, I hope there's God, and I hope he's not bin Laden's, Santorum's, or even Romney's God, though I suppose then I'd hang out with my friends in hell. But, hell is supposed to be quite hot, and I prefer cool weather. Technically, I suppose I'm an agnostic, but that implies a little more doubt than I really have. Also, I think a belief in atheism is a message that we have only once chance in eternity to do things right, so it's important to try as hard as we can. Those who believe in God and an afterlife maybe don't have to try quite as hard, especially if the only requirement God has is to serve His egotistical nature, as some people seem to believe.

I consider myself an atheist, but the thing about atheism, if you're too much of a purest, it's really just a religion. I suppose I would say the likelihood of God is greater than the likelihood of the Easter Bunny, Santa Claus, or the Tooth Fairy (though that unexplained quarter under my pillow as a little boy remains a mystery). In favor of God is the fact that there are people I hold in high esteem who believed in God, such as Jesus, Martin Luther King, and Gandhi. In addition, I hope there's God, and I hope he's not bin Laden's, Santorum's, or even Romney's God, though I suppose then I'd hang out with my friends in hell. But, hell is supposed to be quite hot, and I prefer cool weather. Technically, I suppose I'm an agnostic, but that implies a little more doubt than I really have. Also, I think a belief in atheism is a message that we have only once chance in eternity to do things right, so it's important to try as hard as we can. Those who believe in God and an afterlife maybe don't have to try quite as hard, especially if the only requirement God has is to serve His egotistical nature, as some people seem to believe.

I hope there is no god as the world would seem dull to me if there was a god or gods. If i ever had to face judgement in the face of a god or gods, I would tell them to screw off. First off I wouldn't feel as if they were better than me, even gods have to put things in perspective, as all things are relative to one another.

I have lost to my own logic and I am an Atheists all the way, no doubt.

I consider myself an atheist, but the thing about atheism, if you're too much of a purest, it's really just a religion.

Yuuuup! It's the extremists (like in everything) that ruin it for the rest of us. Atheism becomes a curse to even C&E Christians because they read a story on the news of some "Freethinker" group trying to take down a cross as a memorial to a hero. Ridiculous. The middle is where it's at!

Touched by his Noodly Appendage,

RAmen.

Atheism is too depressing. I'd rather walk around in ignorant bliss thinking that the God I believe in is probably quite annoyed, if not pi$$ed how complicated the whole thing has become and just leaves us alone until our time is up, then he decides if you'll spend eternity rooting for the Jets or rooting for a team that actually has a chance to win it all.

Atheism is too depressing. I'd rather walk around in ignorant bliss thinking that the God I believe in is probably quite annoyed, if not pi$$ed how complicated the whole thing has become and just leaves us alone until our time is up, then he decides if you'll spend eternity rooting for the Jets or rooting for a team that actually has a chance to win it all.

There's really nothing depressing about it. I guess it's all in one's attitude about things.

Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Back