Welcome to PatsFans.com

At what points is Obama responsible?

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by Patters, Jan 20, 2009.

1. Patters

Patters Moderator Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +261 / 10 / -11

The righties aid that 8 months into Bush's term, Clinton owned 9/11. In other words, Bush was not responsible for what happened during his term. At what point is Obama responsible? If there's an attack on American soil by September 11, 2009, is it Bush's fault? My view is that Obama is responsible for what transpires after 30 days in office. There is no excuse for him to be fully up and running in 30 days. He's a liberal Democrat, so perhaps I hold him to a higher standard than that to which conservatives held Bush.
  2. BelichickFan

BelichickFan B.O. = Fugazi PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +507 / 13 / -11

#24 Jersey

And the Lefties said "it happened on his watch" - which means it starts today. Change, baby, let's see the change.
  3. Patters

Ratings:
    +261 / 10 / -11

I think Obama takes the fall for what goes wrong after 30 days. I think that's reasonable. I would even add to that the fact that Obama at least shares responsibility for the first 30 days, since obviously Bush is not in a position to do anything. But, you ignored my question, Are you giving Obama the same grace period of 8 months that the righties gave Bush?
  4. BelichickFan

Ratings:
    +507 / 13 / -11

#24 Jersey

I didn't really agree with your point. I never blamed Clinton for 9/11; although I didn't blame Bush either. It's something that happened that could only have reasonably been stopped by Clinton killing Bin Laden when he had the chance; Bush had the chance later and also failed. Obama's "grace period" would depend on what happened and whether it was reasonable to be stopped.
  5. Harry Boy

Harry Boy Look Up, It's Amazing PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +657 / 2 / -9

You don't plan and execute an attack like 9/11 in 8 months, the Muslims were down in Florida learning how to fly a plane but not land it while GW Bush was down in Texas drinking Jack Daniels and playing baseball.

If the Muslims attack us this year on 9/11 I will blame GW Bush "unless" got that, "unless" unless the Messiah gang lowers security standards that Bush has in place, especially Wiretapping, a good President has to know what his enemy is talking about Clinton didn't and look what happened.

DEMOCRATS LOVE JESUS THEY WERE ALL PRAYING TODAY.

Tonight My Head Is Bowed In Sorrow
    I Can't Keep The Tears From My Eyes
    The Dingobats will Now Run The Country
    And Trouble May Fall Down From The Skies
    Harry Boy Jan 20, 2009 A Day That Will Go Down In Infamy
  6. Patters

Ratings:
    +261 / 10 / -11

By the same token, 9/11 could have been stopped had Reagan not chosen to arm and train the Taliban, bin Laden's key allies. And, we go even further back. Had Truman chosen not to recognize Israel, perhaps 9/11 would have been prevented.
  7. IcyPatriot

IcyPatriot ------------- PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +1,036 / 9 / -19

#87 Jersey

I think there's no excuse for Obama not to be ready right now.
    Bush had to deal with a dysfunctional information service.
    Supposedly the FBI and CIA were not in sync ... well who knows where the truth is there.
    Obama has been better briefed than any President before him ... he should be ready now.

BTW ... I think he is ready ... because heads have rolled
    over this issue, it's in their best interests that Obama is ready.
  8. BelichickFan

Ratings:
    +507 / 13 / -11

#24 Jersey

Blah, blah, blah, it was much more direct for Clinton.

To answer your question, Obama would bear a lot more responsibility given some similar attack as we as a country and government should take terrorism much more seriously now.
  9. MrBigglesWorth

MrBigglesWorth Rookie

Ratings:
    +16 / 0 / -0

I guess today Obama bought up all of Bush and Cheney's bad assets. I call this the Obama bailout.
  10. PatsFanInVa

PatsFanInVa PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +555 / 7 / -9

He became responsible at noon today, as Bush became responsible on the day of his inauguration.

Problems naturally have (and had) preceding events; the economy's course seems constrained to some non-ideal outcomes, for example. But he will be judged by an ability to make some progress under the proposals he seems focused on pushing early and with great vigor.

The effects of Bush's contributions are well documented, and his most ardent partisans continue to say that despite the ruinous results of Bush's actions, that each of his failures trace back to a democratic predecessor or a democratic congress.

These are not serious voices to be taken seriously.

A president is responsible from the day he takes office, for his choices and the effects they have.

PFnV
  11. Leave No Doubt

Leave No Doubt PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +10 / 0 / -0

You people who are screaming for "change" tomorrow (or maybe yesterday lol ;)) better be careful what you wish for. W. left quite a legacy behind him and Obama is under the microscope starting tomorrow. I doubt anyone here actually listened to his speech but "bold and swift" may come back to resonate in your ears at some point.

Obama became responsible at 12 noon today and my guess is, he knows it. Maybe you people should just buckle up and enjoy the ride. There isn't much that could be worse than what we've had, though reading some of the posts here I wonder just wtf kind of vision you people have that doesn't extend beyond your own petty little gripes and needs.

Whaa whaaa.
  12. TheGodInAGreyHoodie

TheGodInAGreyHoodie Rookie

Ratings:
    +26 / 0 / -0

I don't put a hard date on it. More of a sliding scale.

I place more of the responsibility for 9/11 on Bush than Clinton. Both because it was 9 months and because the intelligence that was ignored came to light in July, while Bush was in office.

If an attack occurs tomorrow at noon that was preventable if Obama had made the right decision at an 8:30 am briefing than it is on Obama. But if the seeds were sown 6 months ago and Bush failed to do his job, then it is on Bush.

But whose fault it is/was is not as important as what is done.

My problem with Bush is not 9/11. It is that almost 8 years later Osama bin Ladin has not been brought to justice, but we invaded a country that had nothing to do with 9/11.

My problem with Bush is not 9/11. It is that 5 years after 9/11 when Bush had made the priority of his government preparedness in case of an attack, we as a nation response to Katrina was below the standards of most third world nations.

Republican like to pretend that post-9/11 there was partisanship and finger pointing by the democrats. To the contrary there was almost none. Democrats gave the president full support until it came out that the president lied about WMD in Iraq.
  13. TommyBrady12

TommyBrady12 Rookie

Ratings:
    +244 / 30 / -16

#12 Jersey

both presidents were to be blamed for 9/11
  14. BelichickFan

Ratings:
    +507 / 13 / -11

#24 Jersey

It's Patters who seems to think Republicans here blamed Clinton exclusively. That's not how I remember it, I believe we gave him partial blame.
  15. PatriotsReign

PatriotsReign On the Roster

Ratings:
    +375 / 3 / -15

Correction, he's a moderate democrat. Liberal is FAR left, and he's certainly not that.
  16. Patriot_in_NY

Patriot_in_NY Rookie

Ratings:
    +34 / 0 / -0

He was on the big clock as of 12 noon today.

.... and I'm still waiting on some fukcing Hope -n- change. I could use a little money right now. :rolleyes:
  17. Michael

Michael Moderator Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +15 / 0 / -0

#12 Jersey

I pulled up to a gas station after work and said fill er up. Then he the nerve to ask me for money. I said Obama. He said what? I said President Obama. He still insisted on money? Weren't we suppose to not have to worry about these things anymore? They better have this worked out by next week. And my mortgage company better be on board.
    Last edited: Jan 20, 2009