PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

At least they won

Status
Not open for further replies.
Amen. The one thing I can think about the Pats this year that's been missing for a while is that they keep playing, even when things are not going well, and don't lay down in games. It's nice to have a team again that can pull out a win, even when they are clearly not firing on all cylinders. I'll take it! (oh, and the defense continues to improve [at least until the brain fart in the 4th quarter - how could they NOT be ready for the onside kick there], and now the O looks like it has a long way to go).

I agree with most except, they did deserve the win, they lead the whole game and scored more points.

Now how were they 2 poor challenges. I thought they were the right moves myself.
The first one was a poor challenge no matter how you look at it. The second one was, IMHO, heavily influenced by the fact that it was almost the 2:00 warning and they really had little to lose by challenging that play. I mean, it cost them a timeout but they were in the lead so they didn't need to stockpile timeouts. I doubt they challenge the same play if there were still 10:00 to go.

The first one was a poor challenge no matter how you look at it. The second one was, IMHO, heavily influenced by the fact that it was almost the 2:00 warning and they really had little to lose by challenging that play. I mean, it cost them a timeout but they were in the lead so they didn't need to stockpile timeouts. I doubt they challenge the same play if there were still 10:00 to go.

I do not agree, it was a close play and you have to challenge that. It was a huge turning point in the game and you have to give it a look again.

People are idiots who are whining about criticisms of the team.

Do you think BB and company are glad that they allowed an onside kick, that they had fewer than 50 offensive yards in the first half, that they were not able to ram it down the Chargers' throats with those turnover gifts they got?

Do you think BB and staff goes back home, whistling like idiots just glad they won? Do you expect fans to act like that, or point out ways we'd like to see improvement?

Yes, of course it is great to come away with a win. Nobody is saying otherwise. If we keep playing like that, say against the Steelers, we will be destroyed. We will be one and done in the playoffs once again.

We need to tune up our offensive line, or we are toast.

BB sounds like most of the posters AKA Idiots on here who posses perspective.

ESPNBoston said:
In the end, Belichick praised the players for coming through.

“I am really proud of our team,” he said. “Tough game, coming all the way out here, but we got off to a decent start. Got some turnovers. Struggled a little bit offensively. Got that going in the second half and hung on. We will take it.”

Last edited:
I liked the game. We were fine until the onside kick and even then until the failed 4 and 1 at midfield.

A game against an opponent that always gives us fits, with the #1 ranked defense in the NFL, three time zones away? I'll take the win any way that I can get it.

With that said, though, I can see where the people that have concerns are coming from. The offense was completely inept in the first half and only generated 13 points off of 4 turnovers. In the 4th quarter, the defense went from putting out an otherwise stellar effort to completely falling apart. Rivers found the holes in our zone all day in the second half and the coaching staff didn't seem to want to make the switch to man coverage until the game was within three points. Add onto that a bad challenge and a terrible 4th down call in our own side of the field when only up three and the complaints being made here are legit.

It's good to be 5-1. It's good that the team came out of the Ravens game last week, went out west, and took this one. However, there is a LOT to address this week in the film room.

BB sounds like most of the posters AKA Idiots on here who posses perspective.

Have you read how much BB agonizes over every game, including every win, poring over every fault so that he can prevent it from happening again? Why shouldn't we do the same? It's fun, for one, and for another it is clear that BB reads this board and takes every piece of advice from me on it.

:D

Yes, enjoy the win, but don't ignore the faults in your play. That's the method of a brilliant coach like BB.

It's still very early in the season. The product you see out there on the field is not going to be what you see by December, or even November. I'll take another win just like this one next week in a heartbeat (barring injury to Chung) because the 5 you see in the left column is all that matters right now.

That said, specific things that worried me today is how unprepared we were for an onside kick.... 7 minutes left you're up 10 and it catches you completely off guard? That was embarrassing. And don't even get me started on the final offensive "series". 2nd and 1 you line up with no lead blocker and your 3rd down back? I'd rather go 5 wide in that situation that is how bad it was. The fact that we can have 2 coaching blunders of that severity in the most crucial time is kind of worrisome, but hopefully it taught them something.

Have you read how much BB agonizes over every game, including every win, poring over every fault so that he can prevent it from happening again? Why shouldn't we do the same? It's fun, for one, and for another it is clear that BB reads this board and takes every piece of advice from me on it.

:D

Yes, enjoy the win, but don't ignore the faults in your play. That's the method of a brilliant coach like BB

I agree 100%. But I doubt he is worrying about it on the plane ride. He will enjoy it tonight and get back at it tomorrow.

Last edited:
It was not pretty but they won. I do not care about the stats , the only thing that matters is wins. Yes Brady was horrible , with help from the ol, but they won. The Chargers are now 2-5, that makes it great.
You must be a real joy to be around, especially during a Pats game. You complained that the game sucked when the Pats played Buffalo, that the D sucked during the Miami game, predicted Baltimore would win by 17 and said you hoped the game was simply close and not a blowout; and now all you can seem to focus on is negatives after a win.

I can imagine all the threads you will start and comments you'll have when the Pats eventually lose a game.

last years team would have lost this game........even tho it wasnt pretty, even tho the D let up those 2 late tds. i still look at this game positively and realize how much this team is growing up in front of us.

btw all of u that were panicking after buffalo dropped 30 on the pats, they did the same to Baltimore and almost won :bricks:

thats what good teams do they find a way to win on the road even when they don't play there best game

i do think it's funny that the AFC west is going to be won by KC or oakland lol

My thoughts from the game:

- the SD Defence are good! Our O wasn't great, but their D knew how to play!

- our D capitalised on the SD Os mistakes!

- BB is scared of nothing!

- well done to DMc for his first INT :)

last years team would have lost this game........even tho it wasnt pretty, even tho the D let up those 2 late tds. i still look at this game positively and realize how much this team is growing up in front of us.

This. It wasn't our best game. Did we play at 80% of our potential? 70%? 50? I don't know. But it says a lot that we could go on the road and beat a talented team without playing our best.

There are days where everything goes your way and you blow people out and it's so easy. But everyone gets a few of those days (see Raiders vs. Broncos). But the big wins are the ones you steal from opponents, where you slug it out and find a way.

Let's not kid ourselves. The 2001/2003/2004 Patriots won some ugly games. But they found a way to win. And lots of people said we were unbelievably lucky at times, but we didn't beat ourselves, we took advantage of the mistakes and opportunities presented to us, and we won a ton of games we had no business winning. Yesterday was one of those games, and I don't care if we steal 8 more like that this season so long as we keep finding a way to win.

There's something to be said for resilience and smart football. And beating a talented team on the road when you're nowhere near your best is impressive in many ways.

Sorry, but these are legitimate complaints. The Patriots did not play "60 minute football." The Chargers kept giving them the ball in the first half and it was still only a 10 point game at halftime. And the defense doesn't exactly get credit for "forcing" 4 turnovers. 2 of them were gift wrapped.

A win is a win and when we're in late December going for HFA, no one will care how the game was won. But let's not delude ourselves into thinking they played 60 minutes of solid ball.

Complaints about the OL is to be expected.. But to complain about a win is a joke and the whining is ridiculous when your're 5-1 and won a road game against a team that was in the playoffs last year

I wouldn't say the turnovers were gift wrapped at all.. I call it better coaching.. Pats played smart football and played through the whistle.. Reason why they grabbed two of those balls..

I had the Pats at 2 and 4 after looking at the schedule, this is GREAT!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/10: News and Notes