Welcome to PatsFans.com

At least the season does not start until Sept 24

Discussion in 'PatsFans.com - Patriots Fan Forum' started by Sean Pa Patriot, Aug 20, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sean Pa Patriot

Sean Pa Patriot Veteran Starter w/Big Long Term Deal

Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0

#12 Jersey

Since we open with the Bills and Jets, we have 2 extra weeks to get the WR and LB situation fixed.. I see Tedy not coming back until the Denver game, and the WR situation is not going to get settled until after some cuts are done.. Maybee a Charles Rodgers, Justin Mcarents, or Todd Pinkton, could come on board, when they get cut.. I think opening with the Bills and the Jets, will help us get healthy and the Wr will be a little more settled.

2. mcsully

mcsully In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +4 / 3 / -0

I wouldn't count the bills as a cake walk there.. Losman has looked solid so far and with Spikes back, that defense is going to be tough..

3. Crazy Patriot Guy

Crazy Patriot Guy Third String But Playing on Special Teams

Ratings:
    +28 / 0 / -1

#11 Jersey

No doubt we are the more talented team than both the Jets and Bills but let's not make the mistake that we are already 2-0 preparing for the game against Denver.

Obviously we are better off than if we kicked the season off against Indy or someone but this is the NFL. We better be ready to play every week. If someone told you before the 2004 season we were going to be 14-2, would you have picked Miami to be one of our losses?

Would I be very disappointed if we don't start the year 2-0? Sure. However, I'm not ready to say, "Well, time for Denver."

4. RayClay

RayClay Pro Bowl Player

Ratings:
    +789 / 6 / -10

#75 Jersey

That type of thinking is a no no in Belichick land.

BTW, I don't post often at Patriots Planet, but they have a funny poster who does a bit very seriously where he looks beyond the next opponent for various reasons.

Very funny satire. He does it so well that he gave reasons we didn't need to worry about the Super Bowl and should start preparing for the next seasons opener.

No matter how ridiculous, he always sucks in some new fans that get all angry and heated. Funny stuff.

But not in reality!!!!

Last edited: Aug 21, 2006
  5. pats-blue

pats-blue Third String But Playing on Special Teams

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0

Yeah I don't think either team is any real compitition for us but "on any given Sunday" No question we can "win" these games short staffed compared to upper echelon "playoff caliber teams", but don't want to go putting anything down as a "W" until the game is played. Heck I truely believe the Pats could and should win the SB this year but it will still take a lot to go right.

6. smg93

smg93 2nd Team Getting Their First Start

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

#54 Jersey

One game at a time. There is no way anyone can guarantee wins against the bills and jets. The league is too competitive and the easiest way to lose both games is to think like we are an automatic 2-0. There's only 16 games in the reg. season. Not one can be taken for granted.

7. mtbykr

mtbykr PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +8 / 0 / -0

#37 Jersey

the season couldn't start soon enough for me after the way the sox have been playing----thank God for BB
    :)

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 1, 2005
  8. richpats

richpats Banned

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

I think its reasonable to assume that we don't have to play our best game to beat the Bills and the Jets HOWEVER it will take our best game since our last SB run to beat the Denver Broncos. Since that's a week 3 game we have to start playing at a high level week 1 and keep that momentum going. If there are kinks we have to work out the first couple of weeks, so be it - just keep plugging away and we'll find out what this team is made of Sept 24th.

9. mgteich

mgteich PatsFans.com Veteran PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +357 / 26 / -4

If the players had this attitude, we'll be 1-2 or 0-2 as we play our first real game against Denver. Any player who exhibits this attitude is subject to disciplinary action. There is focus on ONE game, the next game.

10. p8ryts

p8ryts Rotational Player and Threatening Starter's Job

Ratings:
    +10 / 0 / -0

Looking past any opponent is a recipe for disaster. I see either the Bills or Jets capable of winning if the Pats take them lightly and are not up for the games.

11. Patriotic

Patriotic PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0

Those first two games are also division games which gives them heightened value in the standings.

I'm also reminded that BB has been quoted as saying that the second game of the season is one of the most important games of the year. He said this following our 2003 win in Philly after the opening debacle to the Bills.

12. JR4

JR4 In the Starting Line-up PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +34 / 3 / -2

Exactly ..... I can almost guarantee that if PATs do not play their A game
    they will lose.
    Never never never ... assume your enemy if weaker than you. ... Never.
    Jets and Bills may not be as good as PATs but they do have many good
    players .... if PATs play their B game ... they could lose.

13. richpats

richpats Banned

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

If we're 1-2 going into the Denver game we seriously f'd up somewhere :)

BTW, did you mean to say that Denver is 'our first REAL game' b/c that would conflict with the 'one game, the next game' mentality.

14. mgteich

Ratings:
    +357 / 26 / -4

And as Patriotic points out, these are 2 division games. BTW, if there is ANY extra emphasis by bb, it is on division games.

15. richpats

richpats Banned

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

There's no denying that the Pats should never ever half-ass it in any game and expect to win. Then again, the play against one opponent in victory (i.e. Buf, NYJ) doesn't necessarily translate into victory against all opponents, especially SB-contending opponents (i.e. Denver). The Pats need to play the game of their lives to beat Denver, and if they play that way against Buf or NYJ, they'll win by 4 TD's.

16. PATSNUTme

PATSNUTme Paranoid Homer Moderator Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +183 / 2 / -1

#75 Jersey

How anyone can post that the first two games are a lock is beyond me.

This is the NFL. Week one and two are the weeks that there are a lot of upsets. More so than any other weeks.

You cannot look past any team when you play a 16 game schedule. Baseball mentality is on the board again.

17. BradyManny

BradyManny Veteran Starter w/Big Long Term Deal

Ratings:
    +92 / 4 / -0

Yeah, I see that...but at the same time, if we can get by those first couple of weeks without Rodney/Bruschi or anyone else who could use an extra week or two of rest for various injuries/rehab, I think that'd be the best case scenario.

18. PatsFanSince74

PatsFanSince74 PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +165 / 3 / -1

Famous last words...

19. mgteich

Ratings:
    +357 / 26 / -4

How exactly are we going to "get healthy" playing the Bills and the Jets?

20. Sean Pa Patriot

Sean Pa Patriot Veteran Starter w/Big Long Term Deal

Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0

#12 Jersey

By getting healthy, maybee both Tedy and Rodney ,Koppen, could sit out the first 2 weeks and not be missed in those games, and give them 2 extra weeks to get healthy... I dont think the Bills are a threat, sorry I just feel we could walk over the bills..

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.