Welcome to PatsFans.com

At least 78 GOP candidates would force women to bear rapists’ babies

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by Patters, Oct 3, 2010.

1. Patters

Patters Moderator Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +560 / 22 / -19

At least 78 GOP candidates would force women to bear rapists’ babies | Raw Story

A partial list of Republican candidates running for US Congress in this year's mid-term elections shows that at least 78 of them have professed to oppose abortion in all cases, including where rape or incest are involved.

The Republican National Coalition For Life, a political action committee formed by anti-feminist activist Phyllis Schlafly, sends out questionnaires every election season to Republican candidates asking them to lay out their positions on abortion.

A list of responses from this year's candidates indicate that 78 Senate and House candidates answered that they are "pro-life without discrimination," meaning they don't agree with any exceptions to a ban on abortion.

2. khayos

khayos In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Ugh. And 100% of Democrats support killing babies.

3. MrSparkle

MrSparkle Third String But Playing on Special Teams

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0

When does life begin. I guess that becomes the real question. Abortion is not something people are ambivalent about. Nothing stated on a message board will change anyones opinion. It's gotten so bad that many boards don't even allow the subject to be discussed anymore. All that ever happens is a battle of words with no one changing their opinions.

To me, it's always been murder. Since I don't know when life begins, I error in stating that it begins at conception. True or not, it's better then being wrong and being OK with murder. Sometimes there are no good answers.

All that being said, I don't think the federal government should be the one that makes law on this, it should be a state by state decision.

4. patsfan13

patsfan13 Hall of Fame Poster PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +443 / 11 / -14

It should have been a state legislative decision, but an activist USSC screwed things up.

5. Patters

Ratings:
    +560 / 22 / -19

Do you really think that women in some states should be forced to travel far away to abort their rapist's child? What would be the point of that other than cruelty?

Last edited: Oct 3, 2010
  6. patsfan13

Ratings:
    +443 / 11 / -14

I think women should have 4d ultra sounds so they can make informed choices and not kill babies in their womb.

7. apple strudel

apple strudel Banned

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0

Legislating medically unnecessary emotional coercion.

8. patsfan13

Ratings:
    +443 / 11 / -14

\

The abortion industry wants to keep women ignorant of what they are doing to their children, resulting in negative emotional effects afterward that can affect women for the rest of their lives.

9. sdaniels7114

sdaniels7114 Experienced Starter w/First Big Contract

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0

As opposed to looking at your child and seeing your rapist for the rest of your life?

As opposed to knowing that the reason you exist is because you father raped your mother?

All I can say is Are you fcuking kidding?

10. patsfan13

Ratings:
    +443 / 11 / -14

Since I have 2 adopted children I have a different view of the options. Also many women when they see their innocent will see a little human being whom they can love and cherish as all children deserve.

BTW abortions from rape are a tiny fraction of the million lives destroyed each year.

11. apple strudel

apple strudel Banned

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0

It is disingenuous to call it the abortion industry. Planned Parenthood, for example, operates as a non-profit. And if you look at their web site they do a very good job of sharing useful information. In fact, 2 of their 3 pregnancy options do not even include abortion.

Methods of Abortion
    Pregnancy Options

This website is as milquetoast as can be, which very much contradicts this image you present of an industry salivating to abort as much as possible.

Can you provide some non-partisan data showing either a link or a causal relationship between womens' understanding of the details of abortion and its effect on their emotional well-being? I doubt it exists.

12. Patters

Ratings:
    +560 / 22 / -19

If the right was really against abortion, it could certainly get a liberal majority to support legislation that provided single moms with daycare, made it easier to adopt, provided better services to ensure that foster parents were acting responsibly, and so on. The fact is that some women have abortions because they see no way to care for or afford their child. Now, of course, we're not talking about a rapist's child, in which case it would be torture for many women to have to retraumatize themselves constantly for 9 months while carrying the child to term.

13. apple strudel

apple strudel Banned

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0

In my view, abortion exists as a wedge issue not so much because the right is oppose to it, but because they can use it as a lever to rally support for themselves in opposition to the Democrats. If you really care about policy, supporting abortion rights is obvious. If you care about leverage and stoking powerful emotions, well, then it becomes useful.

14. IcyPatriot

IcyPatriot ------------- PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +1,970 / 41 / -31

#24 Jersey

Not to justify the all or nothing answers ... but it is all about leverage here. If you want to ban late term or 2nd trimester then you have to go on record as banning everything. I'm always torn on this issue ... I see both sides. I don't believe in anything after 1st trimester but you have to make room for exceptions like rape, incest, health etc.

As to where I get my opinion from ... I base it on woman and miscarriages which generally happen by the 11-13 week time slot. Many, many women have had them ... it's rather natural to have one actually. So IMO an abortion in this time period really is not that much different and there's a % chance it will happen anyways. A fetus expiring in the 1st trimester is not an unnatural event even if it's contrived.

I don't know where life begins ... somewhere after the 1st trimester suits me fine.

Tried to keep that short ... hope it doesn't come across as crude.

15. MrSparkle

MrSparkle Third String But Playing on Special Teams

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0

Not crude at all. In fact, I had not even thought of it that way. It does not change my opinion but certainly gives me something to think about.

16. patsfan13

Ratings:
    +443 / 11 / -14

Well making adoption easier is certainly a good idea. It is very difficult in this country.

As to the {relatively rare issue of abortion due to rape. Rape is a vicious violent act committed against an innocent person, as you certain that the solution is another violent vicious act against another innocent person?

Here is a view that most victims of rape do not want abortions and that those who get abortions often suffer further trauma.

What About Abortion in Cases of Rape and Incest? Women and Sexual Assault

another good source about what happens to people getting abortions:

Articles Related to Post-Abortion Healing

Last edited: Oct 3, 2010
  17. Wolfpack

Wolfpack Banned

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

And if the left was really concerned with women's health and well being, they would want women to make informed decisions prior to getting abortions, supprt 24 hour waiting laws, parental consent and actually help women after the procedure instead of kicking her out onto the streets.
    If that's torture, what do you call crushing the skull of a living being? A walk in the park?

18. apple strudel

apple strudel Banned

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0

Lifenews is not a good source, and no, most victims of rape do not want to keep the baby. Even if they did, it's none of the business of the state. If they do want to keep it, they already have that right. :ugh:

19. patsfan13

Ratings:
    +443 / 11 / -14

~73% of babies from rape victims are brought to term the information is not from lifenews, it from the Elliot Institute..

BTW do you think Planned PArenthood would print this sort of information and hurt the billion dollar abortion 'business'?

20. apple strudel

apple strudel Banned

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0

Non-profits are not really in the business of, you know, making profits. And as for your stats, I'll have to vet them as usual, because I suspect that they are conveniently inflated. Still, women already have the ability to choose to keep the baby if they want to. No need to legislate, there. Unless you oppose personal freedoms.