PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Assorted Bits of Random Blasphemy

Our defense doesn't play their defense, so I don't see the comparison. I still believe that defense wins championships, and that until we have a championship caliber defense we won't win another. What it takes to get to a "championship caliber defense" is something we can debate (and have debated, many times), but it certainly wasn't what we fielded in the last 2 AFCCGs.

The bolded is unfair:

1: This years defense was much improved on the previous year so you can't equate the two.

2. This years defense was knobbled by injuries, a fact too often forgotten. To blame the defense for the loss is harsh in the extreme.

It's about building the best team. Don't over think it gentlemen.

The bolded is unfair:

1: This years defense was much improved on the previous year so you can't equate the two.

2. This years defense was knobbled by injuries, a fact too often forgotten. To blame the defense for the loss is harsh in the extreme.

There is no doubt that our defense showed improvement early on, and was impacted by injuries. Whether it would have been a "championship caliber defense" is quite questionable, IMO. I don't think we would have been at that level, personally.

Where We're At & We're We're Going

544837856.jpg

It has been an immeasurable Pleasure and an incalculable Privilege to root for Tom Brady over the last Decade or so.

I've got plenty of Notions about how I imagine he could improve his Game, and I'm not shy about sharing them...But it seems to me that any Patriot Fan who deigns to write about Tom Brady ought begin by acknowledging that we are privileged beyond measure to share, one day at a time, the Ascension of Tom Brady to the status of Legend.

One ought as well acknowledge his Humanity, though, because in so doing one recognizes that his Accomplishments are Great not because he was preordained to attain them but because he overcomes his Flaws to earn them.

However, my particular Perception of things is that Tom Brady was a considerably better and deadlier QuarterBack from 2001 to 2006, when he scrapping and scraping with mediocre "Weapons" around'm, than he has been since 2007, which is of course when he ascended to Fantasy FootBall Legendary Status and perceived Greatness.

It's not even remotely coincidental that the Patriots won 3 Super Bowls before the Air Brady Era began...and none, since.

Yes, the Defense was considerably better, back then. And I'd be the last man ~ the very last one ~ to denigrate the Impact of a Tenacious Defense on any Team's Championship Prospects. I preach that stuff.

But only a Fool blinded by dazzling and absolutely meaningless statistics, or a Fan who simply doesn't understand how Championships are won and is ashamed to admit it, would deny that ~ despite all the transitory and meaningless Regular Season Statistical Glory of the last 7 Years ~ the Patriots's Offense has descended, devolved, and eroded into something bearing an horrifyingly eerie resemblance to the Peyton Manning Colts Offenses we used to destroy.

In a word: We cover ourselves with statistical Glory during the regular Season. But we do so employing a relentlessly Pass Oriented Offense ~ an unbalanced Offense ~ that invariably crashes to Earth when we run into the Iron and Steel of the League's Defenses in January: One need only peruse the Final Score of each Year's final Games since 2007.

Use The Whole Pig, Tom.

Good news is: There're signs that we're doing precisely that.

Brady's propensity, this past Year, to channel an horrifyingly enormous Share of his Passes towards Julian Edleman, Danny Amendola, or whoever was providing him an easy, soothing, and comforting Target in the Slot remains deeply disturbing, don't get me wrong, because it is precisely Brady's propensity to latch onto a Binky since the arrival of Wes Welker in 2007 that's rendered our Offense so predictable...and thus so easy to stop, come January.

But Coach Bill II The Mad (Genius), General Tom's CoConspirator, ere the last 7 Years, in developing an Offense that consistently racked up Fantasy Statistics and consistently got us to the PlayOffs while proving so Pathetically Predictable and Containable that it was virtually guaranteed to fail against the Iron & Steel of the NFL during The Only Games That Really Matter...saw fit, for whatever reasons of'is own, to thrust Brady into a situation, replete with Rookie WideOuts, where he was absolutely forced to choose between either insisting on requiring Tactical Perfection from his WideOuts on each and every Play, as he's so notoriously and foolishly done, ere the last 7 spoiled Years...or to embrace the Reality that Rookies make mistakes and ~ here's a crazy idea ~ work with the young, talented, and hard-working WideOuts.

Being Demanding is one thing.

Being destructively demanding...is quite another thing altogether.

I'm crazy about Tom Brady.

No joke. I love the guy.

Heart of a Lion.

Hardest Working Man in the NFL.

But somewhere along the line, he lost sight of the fact that Predictability Usually Equals Defeat.

Somewhere along the line, he lost sight of the fact that Using The Whole Pig ~ mixing it up constantly and relentlessly, to persistently and mercilessly keep Defenses guessing ~ dramatically increasing our chances of Winning It All.

Somewhere along the line, he forgot that it was just as important to earn his Players's Trust as it was for them to earn his.

Somewhere along the line ~ just about 2007, I'm thinking ~ it seems to me that he became entitled.

It gives me no Pleasure to write that.

I truly admire the man.

And he's long since proven that he's got the the Balls to overcome even something so addictive as a Bad Habit.

Use The Whole Pig, Tom.

Run when they expect you to Pass.

Pass when they expect you to Run.

Mix it up.

Involve every Player in the Offense.

Involve them constantly.

Involve every Player on the Offense when you need to Move The Chains, even if it costs us a Game or two in September.

Step away from the Binky, Tom.

Step away from the Security Blanket.

Use The Whole Pig, Tom.

Therein lies the way back to your Championship Glory...and your prospective Immortality.

What I'd Love To See

1 ~ Trade Ryan Mallett to the Highest Bidder. If we can pull in the first Pick in the Draft, great. If all we can get is the last Pick in the 7th Round in the 2017 Draft and a bowl of CornFlakes, great. I have nothing against the Lad, and in fact wish him well. But I don't like his Mechanics or his Poise, and wouldn't trust'm when the Bulletts were flying, so why bother? Presumably, he's gone a Year hence, anyway, so it's our last chance to get something back for 2011's 74th.

2 ~ Seek out young QuarterBacks with extraordinary Processing Speed, Poise Under Fire, and allegedly mediocre Arms. Arm Strength can increase significantly with Coaching, and Accuracy is Light Years more important, anyway. The QuarterBacks I've described are far more likely to Move The Chains against the best Defenses in January, yet preposterously tend to come cheapest in April ~ or May ~ and the Gutters are riddled with Rocket Arms.

3 ~ I've never subscribed to the notion that one needs to spend heavy Draft Capital on Franchise QuarterBacks. It seems to me that the best way to go about things is to continuously churn Late Rounders & UFA's, as I've laid out in Step #2, and develop them either to trade them for far more than one spent on'm, or, ultimately, to take the Reins.

4 ~ I don't think we need to be worrying about Tom Brady's Successor.

5 ~ But we do need to start developing Depth of Talent behind'm. It really ain't that hard to do so.

Thanks for a very enjoyable post.

If this message board were a dart board instead, we'd all be staring at a handful of darts sticking out of the bull's eye.

And thanks for bringing the word balance back into an NFL discussion. It seems like that word has disappeared from NFL vernacular. I wonder why.

It wasn't too long ago, just after losing to the Giants the second time to be precise, that I was being criticized for suggesting that the Pats were too pass-happy. It's great to see the running game making a comeback.

Great catch on the Manning comparison too. It's not a coincidence that Manning and Brady both coughed up a safety from deep in their own end on the first play of the SB. At least Manning had somewhat of an excuse, he was facing a defense that could stop the run. Brady wasn't.

Edit: I almost forgot. Baited breath might actually be bated breath, and bated is a shortened version of abated. http://www.phrases.org.uk/meanings/bated-breath.html

1. Is it any coincidence that the last 2 SB winners - and 3 of the last 4 SB teams - have had QB's playing at a high level who are still on their rookie contracts? It's very, very hard to field a championship team in the salary cap era, and devoting 10-15%+ of your cap space to one player makes it that much harder. Brady has been the most generous "franchise" QB in terms of taking a discount and restructuring for the benefit of the team, but even so, it's not easy. Now I'm not suggesting that we trade Brady and go with Mallett, but even with Brady taking discounts the team hasn't won a SB since he became one of the top paid QBs in the league. It's damn hard, and there's little margin for error.

A damned fine point. :cool:

It plays beautifully into my insistence ~ against much Resistance!! :eek: ~ that one of the most advantageous ways to build a War Machine is to troll the Late Rounds ~ and beyond!! :eek: ~ for Field Generals with decent Arms that could be developed but with extraordinary Diagnostic Acuity, Processing Speed...and Poise.

These guys tend to be available very late, so they'll only cost peanuts for their 1st Contract, and yet they are precisely the guys who separate themselves from the Pack and outfox Defenses deep in the Winter!!

I think Brady, in general, will use the whole pig if it can be used. He was more than happy to let Blount and Co. pound the rock when it was working, part of the issue is whether or not it will work.

I don't know, Bro...
39.gif

It seems to me that our Grizzlies are actually far better at Run Blocking than at Pass Blocking.

I want improvement on our O Line big time ~ stay tuned ;) ~ but given the chance to attack Defensive Lines and just Run The Damned Ball, I believe that our Offensive Line of the last few Years could've dominated.

Had we taken that approach in Super Bowl 46, I believe we would've demolished the Giants. :eek:

Thought provoking stuff, indeed!

When I think of Brady it makes me question the whole concept of 'clutch' or 'clutchness'.

Because the Brady that won those 3 SB's, in my opinion, would stand little to no chance of further success between now and then in terms of winning the big one.

In order for someone to come up with the 'big play' in a low scoring game you have to have two things - a strong D and a simply 'effective' QB.

Those games are in short supply these days.

I think Brady enjoys the team running the ball, I don't think he's overly egotistical like one Peyton Manning regarding the stat padding statistical nonsense.

It just seems that the ethos of the offense is mild panic when running the ball doesn't come easily in the post-season - they don't seem to have much patience with it at all.

In the post-season those sadly predictable over-thrown deep balls come back to haunt us quick-smart - is this a mechanical or mental issue - because Brady is one of the QB's I have least faith in when it comes to the deep bomb down the sideline.

And they are nearly all, in my perception, over-thrown - is this an anxiousness problem, trying to play too safe in the post-season?

Back to the clutchness issue - well, we came so close to beating the Giants both times, the presense of a healthy Gronk or a fully awake Asante samuel could have made us 1-2 rings richer right now - can we put it all on the QB?

What we really need is a defense that makes the opposition QB as uncomfortable as Brady is made to feel in the playoffs - not one that simply looks to play the odds and win through attrition.

They were some of the best regular season offenses of all time, how many points did they put up in those playoff losses?

Exactly!! :rocker:

Much Respect to Brother Kontra, but far from judging a PlayOff Team's Offense by what they do before New Year's Day, I completely exclude that, and judge them exclusively by what they do after New Year's Day.

For that, my friend...is all that matters.

Sure, we'd likely have been more successful with a better defense why wouldn't we also have been more successful with a better and less predictable offense?

Indeed, Sir. :cool:

As I stated in the QuarterBack Opening Statement, nobody values Defense more than I.

The Subject at hand is QuarterBack, however, and I, personally, see Room For Improvement.

Not in the QuarterBack himself, mind you.

Personally, I'll ride with Brady for as long as he cares to drive, thank you very much. :cool:

I speak only of Improvements that Brady, himself, might make, to his Philosophical Approach.

A Fan's Prerogative, if you will.

I don't know, Bro...
39.gif

It seems to me that our Grizzlies are actually far better at Run Blocking than at Pass Blocking.

I want improvement on our O Line big time ~ stay tuned ;) ~ but given the chance to attack Defensive Lines and just Run The Damned Ball, I believe that our Offensive Line of the last few Years could've dominated.

Had we taken that approach in Super Bowl 46, I believe we would've demolished the Giants. :eek:

They certainly did a magnificent job late this year and Blount was hitting his stride, I definitely believe that running game would have wreaked the Giants in 46 but might the weakness have been the running back? I think we have Law Firm then and we had Maroney in 42, I’d need to rewatch the game to make sure, but that idea is about as appealing to me as doing shots of Drano immediately I saw off my toes with a rusty nail file, apparently the Giants we simply daring us to run, which we tried but Maroney couldn’t break arm tackles.

It's about building the best team. Don't over think it gentlemen.

I agree completely, which is why I bring up the room for improvement with the offense. Everyone loves to bash the defense, which deserves bashing IMO, but that doesn't mean the offense performed fine. In both SB losses to the Giants the Pats offense but up less points than the Giants defense gave up that year (average).

I don't think the plan is to cut big Vince because, historically, Belichick tends to cut a respected vet early in the process to give him the head start in free agency, like he did with Willie McGinnest.

A very, very good point, Brother Pete. :cool:

Coach Bill II The Mad (Genius) tore me up when he cut My Man Lawyer Milloy at the last second, and imperiled Brother Milloy's Future. It was a straight out **** Over, unworthy of Mad Bill ~ who later admitted his regret at how he handled that moment, to his eternal favor and my great relief ~ and made me feel violated.

Clearly, that Horrible Act violated everything that this Band of Brothers stood for...And as incomprehensible as it will strike almost everyone, I was never prouder to root for this Team than when they came out flat as RoadKill and got smoked by Lawyer's new Team, the Beefalo FootBall Bills.

The way I saw it, if anything that I felt about that Team was true ~ if that Team that Ran Out Together before Super Bowl 36 and inspired a Region and a Nation to remember that it is what we accomplish together that brings the greatest, deepest, and most lasting Honor and Joy ~ then such an horrible and uncharacteristically clumsy **** up on Mad Bill's part that violated and devastated Lawyer Milloy, who was so much a part of the Heart & Soul of what we'd accomplished together...would also violate and devastate his Team.

And it did.

Our entire Team was In Mourning for Brother Lawyer, that day.

It was obvious.

And in so doing ~ in coming out for that Game demonstrably devastated and shell-shocked ~ they confirmed the fact that yes, every word of that All For One & One For All business was 100% authentic.

I have never been prouder of them.

A damned fine point. :cool:

It plays beautifully into my insistence ~ against much Resistance!! :eek: ~ that one of the most advantageous ways to build a War Machine is to troll the Late Rounds ~ and beyond!! :eek: ~ for Field Generals with decent Arms that could be developed but with extraordinary Diagnostic Acuity, Processing Speed...and Poise.

These guys tend to be available very late, so they'll only cost peanuts for their 1st Contract, and yet they are precisely the guys who separate themselves from the Pack and outfox Defenses deep in the Winter!!

Sometimes people object when a mock has more than 8 or so picks for the Pats, arguing that there isn't enough room on the team for many more rookies. I think that's a fallacy. Rookies and castoffs - the only real way to add guys on their 1st contract - are a key element of cost control in the cap era.

Jerry Jones recently went on a tirade blaming the NFL's system for his own failings as a GM. But he underscored the essential dilemma of the salary cap era:

“You can’t do what I did in 1989 because of the contracts and cap. The system automatically creates about a third turnover but it also creates contractually for clubs a situation where you cannot just strip it. You couldn’t even field a team with the hits against your cap by canceling the contracts.

Jerry Jones Blaming NFL for Dallas Cowboys? Problems is Newest Low

Every year guys on their rookie deals and veterans whose deals expire are due for pay increases. Meanwhile there is always a bunch of "dead weight" contracts of guys who didn't perform up to expectations, but those contracts can't be dumped without creating a prohibitive amount of dead money. The only way a team - even a well run team - can stay competitive is to have a bunch of cheap contracts to balance it out. The "middle class" gets squeezed out. That's way the league is getting "younger".

Teams have to be very selective about who to give a second contract to. Those guys have to be clear team leaders, consistent performers, and foundational players. Otherwise you end up with too much dead weight, and the only way to get rid of it is to go through a year or two of cap hell.

This year in particular, with such a deep draft, I can see adding a bunch of late round/UDFA guys and letting them compete in training camp. The veterans who are on the fringe of the roster will have to clearly outperform them in order to keep their roster spots.

Regarding Grizzlies

2.jpg

It All Starts In The Trenches.

Any of you who've honored my Site with your Visitations on previous occasions are all too aware of my Obsession with The Trenches. I believe that while it's certainly conceivable to build a successful Team by focusing on other Aspects of Offense and Defense ~ happens all the time ~ the most effective way to build a dominant War Machine is by directing one's greatest structural emphasis towards QuarterBack ~ of course ~ and on the Grizzlies who battle in the Trenches.

A mediocre QuarterBack with a mediocre HalfBack can win multiple Super Bowls behind a dominant Offensive Line.

Yet a tremendous QuarterBack with a tremendous HalfBack won't win diddly if they're constantly running for their Lives.

The 21st Century Game has evolved and Players are generally getting smaller and faster.

But the Principle remains truer than ever.

We no longer see the Hogs of the 1980's RedSkins or the amazing Offensive Line of the 1990's CowBoys demolishing Defenses, with the RedSkins in particular winning mulitple SuperBowls with mediocre Talent.

But we could.

The smaller, faster Defenses of the 21st Century are ripe for the picking.

If a Team were to restructure its deployment of resources and invest a Year or two in developing an Offensive Line manned entirely by elite level Talent ~ men of Power, Agility, and Intelligence ~ they could catch the League by storm.

That's no Joke: The Disruption in the Strategic LandScape would be immense.

If such a structural Redeployment were enacted with committed, violent speed, a Team could very well create such an enormously disproportionate Strategic & Tactical Advantage that they'd rack up multiple Championships in rapid succession before the rest of the League was able to adjust, redeploy, and effectively respond.

That's how ripe for the picking I believe that this Faster & Smaller League has become.

But that's me.

Where We're At & Where We're Heading

LT Nate Solder ~ An Ascending Star, both as a Run Blocker and as a Pass Blocker. Beast Years are Dead Ahead.

LG Logan Mankins ~ An excellent Run Blocker and adequate Pass Blocker. Going on 32. Past his Peak.

OC Ryan Wendell ~ A tremendous Run Blocker but horrific Pass Blocker. A Free Agent who should be wished well.

RG Dan Connolly ~ An adequate Run Blocker but awful Pass Blocker.

RT Sebastian Vollmer
~ A Star ~ yes: Star ~ both as Run Blocker & Pass Blocker since he joined us 5 Years ago.

OL Marcus Cannon
~ A talented Grizzly of impressive Core Power and Agility. Poised for a BreakOut Year.

As I perceive it, we are incredibly young and talented at Offensive Tackle, very adeptly talented at Offensive Guard, and hamstrung by an enormous, gaping wound at Center...which of course undermines absolutely everything.

What I'd Love To See

1 ~ We need a Top Shelf Center. Badly. I believe that Centers are the Lynch Pin of the entire Offensive Line and are both crucial to the Success of the Run Game and vitally important both to the Success of the Passing Game and to the QuarterBack's short term health and long term Durability and Success, especially in the 21st Century.

2 ~ The rest of the world doesn't seem to share my Perception about the vital importance of a Center as the Lynch Pin of the entire Offensive Line and thus the Offense as an whole. Thus, there is an annual Bear Market on Top Shelf Centers coming out of College, because the more talented Prospects tend to end up at Offensive Guard.

3 ~ And even within the depleted Ranks thereof, it is rare, indeed, that I find an experienced College Center who brings an exceptional level of both Power and Agility to the position and is also compact enough ~ less than 6040 or so ~ to withstand the rigors and abuse of the Job for a decade or more without breaking down.

4 ~ This Year, not one but two of that Caliber have declared for the Draft.

5 ~ Offensive Guard is way up there with Center, QuarterBack, and of course Defensive Tackle at the top of my List of Players whose potential Impact on a Team's Fortunes could be immediate and enormous.

6 ~ As it stands, we have a very good Left Guard who has peaked but who should still play at a superior though not great level for at least the next couple of Years ~ if we retain his Contract beyond this coming Campaign ~ and a young and talented Right Guard who I believe is poised to become a very good one, though I prefer them much more agile.

7 ~ The Achilles Heel of this Line, though, is Pass Blocking, and I foresee no improvement in the mediocre Pass Blocking that we received from our Offensive Guards last Year. Mankins is only adequate as a Pass Blocker, and is slowing down, while Cannon isn't exactly what I'd call "spry", and even if he excels overall will have enormous problems with Speed.

8 ~ As such, I would want us to aggressively seek out High Caliber Offensive Guard Talent in the Draft. It's always there, and tremendous Prospects are usually available for astonishingly low Investments, respective to their potential Impact.

9 ~ I would want us to draft at least two High Caliber Offensive Guard Prospects, and perhaps even three, for if I were running things, I'd ship Marcus Cannon off to the Highest Bidder. I'd hate to make that move when I believe that he's probably about to Break Out, but I seek Explosiveness and Agility in my Offensive Guards, and he's not a Match.

10 ~ I would likewise want us to draft not one but two High Caliber Offensive Tackle Prospects. It's a very tough job, and guys miss Snaps, especially Vollmer, the last couple of Years. With the crucial importance of Offensive Tackles to the health of the most vital component of a Team's success ~ the QuarterBack ~ I consider it criminally foolish to ignore development of High Caliber Depth of Talent at that Position. All it takes is once for some Scrub to get Brady killed.

Sometimes people object when a mock has more than 8 or so picks for the Pats, arguing that there isn't enough room on the team for many more rookies. I think that's a fallacy. Rookies and castoffs - the only real way to add guys on their 1st contract - are a key element of cost control in the cap era.

Jerry Jones recently went on a tirade blaming the NFL's system for his own failings as a GM. But he underscored the essential dilemma of the salary cap era:

Jerry Jones Blaming NFL for Dallas Cowboys? Problems is Newest Low

Every year guys on their rookie deals and veterans whose deals expire are due for pay increases. Meanwhile there is always a bunch of "dead weight" contracts of guys who didn't perform up to expectations, but those contracts can't be dumped without creating a prohibitive amount of dead money. The only way a team - even a well run team - can stay competitive is to have a bunch of cheap contracts to balance it out. The "middle class" gets squeezed out. That's way the league is getting "younger".

Teams have to be very selective about who to give a second contract to. Those guys have to be clear team leaders, consistent performers, and foundational players. Otherwise you end up with too much dead weight, and the only way to get rid of it is to go through a year or two of cap hell.

This year in particular, with such a deep draft, I can see adding a bunch of late round/UDFA guys and letting them compete in training camp. The veterans who are on the fringe of the roster will have to clearly outperform them in order to keep their roster spots.

Beautifully said. :cool:

Nobody knows better than you, Brother Mayo, how vehemently and relentlessly I've been pounding the Table, since I first appeared amongst you Earthlings, about the crucial significance of gathering as many Draft Picks as possible ~ and as many Top Shelf Coaches as possible ~ and seeking to constantly replenish one's Roster with Top Shelf Talent. As I see it, Experience is vastly overrated by most.

Nobody ~ not even you, my good man ~ even now embraces that Philosophy to the extent that I propound it...but you are certainly well beyond what most would dare embrace...and I admire you for it!!
beer.gif

Regarding Grizzlies

2.jpg

Any of you who've honored my Site with your Visitations on previous occasions are all too aware of my Obsession with The Trenches. I believe that while it's certainly conceivable to build a successful Team by focusing on other Aspects of Offense and Defense ~ happens all the time ~ the most effective way to build a dominant War Machine is by directing one's greatest structural emphasis towards QuarterBack ~ of course ~ and on the Grizzlies who battle in the Trenches.

A mediocre QuarterBack with a mediocre HalfBack can win multiple Super Bowls behind a dominant Offensive Line.

Yet a tremendous QuarterBack with a tremendous HalfBack won't win diddly if they're constantly running for their Lives.

The 21st Century Game has evolved and Players are generally getting smaller and faster.

We no longer see the Hogs of the 1980's RedSkins or the amazing Offensive Line of the 1990's CowBoys demolishing Defenses, with the RedSkins in particular winning mulitple SuperBowls with mediocre Talent.

But we could.

If a Team were to restructure its deployment of resources and invest a Year or two in developing an Offensive Line manned entirely by elite level Talent ~ men of Power, Agility, and Intelligence ~ they could catch the League by storm.

If such a structural Redeployment were enacted with committed, violent speed, a Team could very well create such an enormously disproportionate Strategic & Tactical Advantage that they'd rack up multiple Championships in rapid succession before the rest of the League was able to adjust, redeploy, and effectively respond.

That's how ripe for the picking I believe that this Faster & Smaller League has become.

But that's me.

LT Nate Solder ~ An Ascending Star, both as a Run Blocker and as a Pass Blocker. Beast Years are Dead Ahead.

LG Logan Mankins ~ An excellent Run Blocker and adequate Pass Blocker. Going on 32. Past his Peak.

OC Ryan Wendell ~ A tremendous Run Blocker but horrific Pass Blocker. A Free Agent who should be wished well.

RT Sebastian Vollmer
~ A Star ~ yes: Star ~ both as Run Blocker & Pass Blocker since he joined us 5 Years ago.

OL Marcus Cannon
~ A talented Grizzly of impressive Core Power and Agility. Poised for a BreakOut Year.

As I perceive it, we are incredibly young and talented at Offensive Tackle, very adeptly talented at Offensive Guard, and hamstrung by an enormous, gaping wound at Center...which of course undermines absolutely everything.

What I'd Love To See

1 ~ We need a Top Shelf Center. Badly. I believe that Centers are the Lynch Pin of the entire Offensive Line and are both crucial to the Success of the Run Game and vitally important both to the Success of the Passing Game and to the QuarterBack's short term health and long term Durability and Success, especially in the 21st Century.

2 ~ The rest of the world doesn't seem to share my Perception about the vital importance of a Center as the Lynch Pin of the entire Offensive Line and thus the Offense as an whole. Thus, there is an annual Bear Market on Top Shelf Centers coming out of College, because the more talented Prospects tend to end up at Offensive Guard.

3 ~ And even within the depleted Ranks thereof, it is rare, indeed, that I find an experienced College Center who brings an exceptional level of both Power and Agility to the position and is also compact enough ~ less than 6040 or so ~ to withstand the rigors and abuse of the Job for a decade or more without breaking down.

5 ~ Offensive Guard is way up there with Center, QuarterBack, and of course Defensive Tackle at the top of my List of Players whose potential Impact on a Team's Fortunes could be immediate and enormous.

6 ~ As it stands, we have a very good Left Guard who has peaked but who should still play at a superior though not great level for at least the next couple of Years ~ if we retain his Contract beyond this coming Campaign ~ and a young and talented Right Guard who I believe is poised to become a very good one, though I prefer them much more agile.

7 ~ The Achilles Heel of this Line, though, is Pass Blocking, and I foresee no improvement in the mediocre Pass Blocking that we received from our Offensive Guards last Year. Mankins is only adequate as a Pass Blocker, and is slowing down, while Cannon isn't exactly what I'd call "spry", and even if he excels overall will have enormous problems with Speed.

8 ~ As such, I would want us to aggressively seek out High Caliber Offensive Guard Talent in the Draft. It's always there, and tremendous Prospects are usually available for astonishingly low Investments, respective to their potential Impact.

9 ~ I would want us to draft at least two High Caliber Offensive Guard Prospects, and perhaps even three, for if I were running things, I'd ship Marcus Cannon off to the Highest Bidder. I'd hate to make that move when I believe that he's probably about to Break Out, but I seek Explosiveness and Agility in my Offensive Guards, and he's not a Match.

10 ~ I would likewise want us to draft not one but two High Caliber Offensive Tackle Prospects. It's a very tough job, and guys miss Snaps, especially Vollmer, the last couple of Years. With the crucial importance of Offensive Tackles to the health of the most vital component of a Team's success ~ the QuarterBack ~ I consider it criminally foolish to ignore development of High Caliber Depth of Talent at that Position. All it takes is once for some Scrub to get Brady killed.

Some quick thoughts:

1. I see you're slowly coming around on Marcus Cannon, who you've previously advocated dumping. I think Cannon deserves a 2nd contract if it is within reason - the Dan Connolly ballpark, for example - and that he will be a solid starting RG and backup RT for us for years. His best football is ahead of him. I wouldn't ship him off, personally.

2. I agree on letting Wendell walk. Connolly could move to center, and I think he'd be an upgrade, but my preference would be to add 2 bodies to the interior OL.

3. One guy who I have in mind, who will almost certainly be controversial, is current Miami Dolphins OL Jonathan Martin. I think Martin is a potentially a very good LG - his lateral mobility limits him at tackle, but put him in a smaller radius and I think he could excel. If the Dolphins cut Martin he will probably end up joining Pep Hamilton and and Andrew Luck in OL-starved Indy, but I'd love to see the Pats make a run at getting him. It could be a cheap way of adding a potential future starter.

4. What prospects in this draft do you like at interior OL? My personal preferences are:

- Brandon Thomas. I think that he could be a dominant guard. He reminds me a bit of former OTG binky Amini Sitatolu.

- Joel Bitonio. A 5-position lineman, I think he could be a great center-guard.

- Marcus Martin and Weston Richburg. I agree with you're assessment of both these guys.

- Billy Turner. Raw, but the tools are their to excel in a couple of years.

I also think Russell Bodine from North Carolina is an interesting day 3 prospect.

Regarding Grizzlies

2.jpg

But we could.

But that's me.

RT Sebastian Vollmer

OL Marcus Cannon

What I'd Love To See

Great stuff! With all the fuss that teams go through to get a franchise QB you’d think more emphasis would be paid to protecting one of the GOAT QBs. I’m thinking that both Bitonio and Richburg would be magnificent additions to the line, Bitonio is especially appealing due to his projected ability to play on the outside and the interior, after seeing Mankins move to LT in a pinch I place even more value on that versatility.

I don't know, Bro...
39.gif

They certainly did a magnificent job late this year and Blount was hitting his stride, I definitely believe that running game would have wreaked the Giants in 46 but might the weakness have been the running back?

I think we have Law Firm then and we had Maroney in 42, I’d need to rewatch the game to make sure, but that idea is about as appealing to me as doing shots of Drano immediately I saw off my toes with a rusty nail file, apparently the Giants we simply daring us to run, which we tried but Maroney couldn’t break arm tackles.

1 ~ Why are you carrying on about Maroney? I specifically cited Super Bowl 46.
huh.gif

2 ~ We had WoodHead and we had Ridley. Mad Bill's icing of Ridley is precisely the idiocy of which I speak. Had he done the intelligent thing and Ran The Ball right down the Giants's throats ~ with Ridley & Woody and no "help" from Hyphenator Boy, thank you very much :rolleyes: ~ we would've rolled those chumps.

3 ~ That's what kills me: We could've easily dominated the Giants, precisely as we had the Colts during that awesome 20-3 Shocker back in 2003...But Mad Bill simply couldn't see the Opportunity staring'm in the face. :mad:

1. I see you're slowly coming around on Marcus Cannon, who you've previously advocated dumping.

"Slowly coming around on Marcus Cannon", Brother Mayo?
spock.gif

Respectfully and gratefully submitted, Sir:

1 ~ I was one of Cannon's staunchest proponents before the 2011 Draft, and gave'm a "Beast" Grade.

2 ~ I've always admired his Skill Set, and said so.

3 ~ But I've never considered him a Match for the O Line I've propounded. And said so.

4 ~ And, yes: I've always advocated dumping him. And just did so, yet again, in the post you quoted. :eek:

No Disrespect, Brother Mayo.

I am honored both by your response and by your incredible Kindness, in general!!
beer.gif

Just correcting the Record, is all. :cool:

Beautifully said. :cool:

Nobody knows better than you, Brother Mayo, how vehemently and relentlessly I've been pounding the Table, since I first appeared amongst you Earthlings, about the crucial significance of gathering as many Draft Picks as possible ~ and as many Top Shelf Coaches as possible ~ and seeking to constantly replenish one's Roster with Top Shelf Talent. As I see it, Experience is vastly overrated by most.

Nobody ~ not even you, my good man ~ even now embraces that Philosophy to the extent that I propound it...but you are certainly well beyond what most would dare embrace...and I admire you for it!!
beer.gif

I am not an Earthling.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes