PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Asomugha v. Mankins

Status
Not open for further replies.
I figured that, but you'd have to think he'd get more than that just playing run support.

Agreed. I didn't watch them at all this season, but from watching a bit in the past few seasons, the Raiders seemed to play almost exclusively man to man and he wouldn't be getting much help, which I'm sure impacts his availability on run support.

If the Patriots were to (if possible, due to tags and the like):

Re-sign Light
Re-sign/franchise Mankins
Sign Deangelo Williams
Sign Carl Nicks
Draft DE/OLB/Pouncey with the first 3 picks in the draft
Trade up from rounds 3 down to get another 2nd round pick
Draft a speed/deep WR with one of the two remaining 2nd round picks
Draft either a C or another OLB with the remaining 2nd round pick
Trade remaining picks into the next year

I'd have to think that would make the Patriots SB favorites and set them up moving forward.
That offseason will never happen. Makes too much sense.

LeVoir
Connolly
Koppen
Wendell
Vollmer

In this scenario, I would have to believe Vollmer moves to LT and LeVoir plays RT.

Also, getting Asomugha would free up Arrington to play DE on 3rd downs on a more regular basis, not just the 1 time he did it against the Colts.

I think this pretty much solves all the team's problems.

That offseason will never happen. Makes too much sense.
Probably wouldnt be able to fit all of those moves under the cap.

1. Franchise Mankins
2. Resign Light
3. Play Bodden
4. Draft DE/OLB/OL

Can I finish this?
5.Wait the average three years for the Draft kids to develop. We get one to play top tier right now in 2011 and we are golden.

We did way above average with McCourty and Gronk. Spikes and Herndandez has their moments. Everyone else right now is still up in the air. That is 2 or 12 or roughly.....17% We can double up on that if these two work so that is 34% and a score. So we have none picks this year. So another two that work will be great. Yep one out of three chances.
DW Toys

Can I finish this?
5.Wait the average three years for the Draft kids to develop. We get one to play top tier right now in 2011 and we are golden.

We did way above average with McCourty and Gronk. Spikes and Herndandez has their moments. Everyone else right now is still up in the air. That is 2 or 12 or roughly.....17% We can double up on that if these two work so that is 34% and a score. So we have none picks this year. So another two that work will be great. Yep one out of three chances.
DW Toys

broken-record.jpg

No reason for that to be the case, given their current situation.
We just dont know yet, but if Mankins is franchised in your example we are adding over 20mill just in OL. Williams will be expensive too. Kinda moot at this point because we have no clue what the cap will be and where we stand vs it. But that many big contracts would seem tough to fit under any circumstances.

In the last 3 playoff losses

Number of sacks allowed= 13
Number of sacks by defense = 4.

Mankins is your best OL guy. so you might downgrade the OL but Asomugha will not improve the Pass rush. 3rd and long when a qb has 10 seconds to throw i can bet with some amount of confidence that someone will be open by then.

Last edited:
Asomugha for sure! A defense with two shutdowns can blitz like crazy.

However it will be really hard to prize him away from Greasy Al. Davis is fanatical about CBs and would hate to see the Patriots get him.

Also consider all the un-wonderful things that Seymour has told Asomugha about the Patriots...some of it true.

Where is this coming from? I swore I read something about Seymour suggesting to G. Warren to check out the Pats.

Last edited:
Mankins is your best OL guy. so you might downgrade the OL but Asomugha will not improve the Pass rush. 3rd and long when a qb has 10 seconds to throw i can bet with some amount of confidence that someone will be open by then.

Ah but he will! If your two corners can be on an island then you have an extra man or two for blitzes. This is the whole key to the Rex Ryan defense. This is all a pipe dream of course since some other team will pay too much for Asomugha (Jets?)

Probably wouldnt be able to fit all of those moves under the cap.

I think we could manage it this year. But in 2-3 years, when Vollmer, Mayo, Gronk, Cunningham, Chung, et al are due contract extensions, we'll be in trouble.

I think we could manage it this year. But in 2-3 years, when Vollmer, Mayo, Gronk, Cunningham, Chung, et al are due contract extensions, we'll be in trouble.
If the youngsters grow as expected at some point down the road, we will be back where we were starting in 2005, where it was simply impossible to keep all of our players or replace them with similarly skilled players due to the cap.
Thats fine by me though as long as the next 4-5 years are like those years. Ultimately its a good thing to get to the point where you have so many homegrown stars that you cant afford to keep them all. Well, getting there is the good thing, being there turns into the dropoff we have witnessed.

as good as Nnamdi Asomugha he's still not good a nuff to help the pats defense win a playoff game 17 to 10 cause if Brady dont have time to throw they wont score more then 17

the pats dont need a 12 million doller CB they need a good pass rush and a great run defense

Can I finish this?

DW Toys

:deadhorse:

The Steelers and Packers both rely on the draft to re-stock their team. I think they did okay last season with a few rookies and second-year guys. The Patriots and the Colts, two of the more successful franchises the past decade, do the same.

At some point, you have to admit the Redskins/Raiders model isn't working. Dan Snyder should not be your role model.

No reason for that to be the case, given their current situation.

And what would that current situation be? With Miguel MIA it's difficult at best to even guesstimate what that is. We spent roughly $135M against the non existent cap in 2010. It's likely the cap won't be much higher than that, if that, in 2011. Just doing a headache inducing quick and dirty guesstimate I came up with about 43 players signed for roughly $90M against the cap, and several of them have escalators that could add at least a few more millions to that. Add in the tenders to Benny and Arrington and the tag for Mankins and several million for the draft picks and you're up to the $115M ballpark. Then add in another $5M for Light. That would leave roughly $10-15 in cap space for FA signings and possible extensions and a little wiggle room for in season injury replacements and the PS. That's not a lot of cap space. There are likely a few guys who will face restructure or be cut, but if you cut 'em you still have to replace them on the roster after dead cap.

Williams would likely be expensive even though he's missed 13 of Carolina's last 19 games. Carl Nicks is scheduled to be a RFA, so they couldn't sign him (which would be costly especially on a roster with Mankins setting the bar for guards) without trading probably a 1st and third assuming he gets the highest tender or something in that vacinity if NO itself was unable to extend him because of the bs precedent they set with Evans... Which would make your first and second round draft scenarios in conjunction with these signings impossible...

Don't get me wrong, comparatively speaking we are in good shape because we have few holes to fill beyond what a draft in which we are well positioned and resigning a couple of our own FA and perhaps a couple of FA out of a potentially glutted second tier market won't go a long way towards filling.

Ah but he will! If your two corners can be on an island then you have an extra man or two for blitzes. This is the whole key to the Rex Ryan defense. This is all a pipe dream of course since some other team will pay too much for Asomugha (Jets?)

We do not play RYAN`s defence and our personal is quiet different to the Jets. We play a different version. Devin did gets thrown on alot.Just because he has 6 picks does not make him shutdown. what about the seams and TE`s.

Asomugha was shutdown a few yrs back but i wonder how much it is a factor that the Raiders defense was so venerable to Run and passing on the other side that people just did not throw to him rather than him making huge plays away from him. when we played against him we actually picked on him .

I asked a couple of "reporters" from NFL network on tweetah, and they all said basically that "money will NOT be a major factor in where Asomugha goes."

here is one response from Breer

"Last time around, in 2009, Asomugha was ready to leave, and it wasn't going to be about $$$, which is why Oakland had to overpay."

"Put it this way: The idea Nnamdi's going to be a slave to $$$ is a tad off"

We do not play RYAN`s defence and our personal is quiet different to the Jets. We play a different version. Devin did gets thrown on alot.Just because he has 6 picks does not make him shutdown. what about the seams and TE`s.

If you guys had McCourty, Bodden, and Asomugha on the field at the same time..well.. McCourty would probably have 8 picks a year. Asomugha would make McCourty into a superstar.

Last edited:
I'm in the "why not both" camp, but since the thread is looking for a choice, I'd have to go with Mankins. I think Asomugha might be a better player relative to his position, but I always subscribe to the theory that you build from the trenches. Improving (or in this case maintaining) a solid offensive line is more important than adding a cornerback, which I consider to be the least important defensive position.

And before anyone tries to take that last line to the extreme, I'm not saying CB is NOT important, making it possible to plug anybody in. I'm saying that all other things being equal, if I had to choose between upgrading a corner or any other defensive position, I would choose the other position.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes