PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Asomugha v. Mankins

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think it really depends on the numbers. Mankins turned down around $7M a season, but apparently wants a deal comparable to Jahri Evans, who got 7 years at just over $8M per. Asomugha opted out of his deal which paid around $15M. He should be willing to take less to play for a contender. The question is how much less.

Mankins is a year younger, and while shut-down corners are more valuable than OGs, OG is a much bigger need for us. So if it's Mankins for $7.5M vs. Asomugha at $12M, I'd take Mankins. If it's much closer, say $8M for Mankins vs. $9M for Asomugha, I wouldn't mind Asomugha.

It's hard to imagine either way with Bodden getting a 4-year deal last season with $10M in guarantees, but with McCourty's rookie deal giving us a ton of flexibility, it's not impossible either. But I'd think Asomugha would have to be willing to give up a ton of money to play here.

Last edited:
Your opinion. A guard is a guard.

So, start a couple of UDFAs off the streets this year. Get rid of every guard that's not making minimum wage.

A guard is a guard, right?

Last edited:
I read that Nnamdi Asomugha isn't adverse to returning to Oakland. With that said, the choice between having him or Logan Mankins isn't an obvious answer. That is, Asomugha would be an upgrade over Leigh Bodden but, by resigning Mankins, you can kill two birds with one stone with a retuning Bodden. Not to mention, if you choose Asomugha... You now must replace Mankins through the draft or via free agency which may not be an easy task.
Also, Asomugha's asking price could affect the asking price of Devin McCourty in 2015. I know, that is years away but you never know. Besides, Asomugha's twenty-nine, the same age as Bodden. It isn't as if he's younger.

Belichick could target a cornerback in the first round, Prince Amukamara or Jimmy Smith.

Last edited:
Honestly, I can't see why we couldn't sign both.

Aside from Brady & Wilfork, who is the big $$ on this team? I'd be surprised if Kaczur, Sanders and TBC all return to the team w/ their salaries as is. There's 7 million right there. Now, I'd love for Sanders to remain with the team, but in theory, would you be OK with losing those 3 guys if it meant signing Asomugha or Mankins? I think the answer is yes.

As for Asomugha vs. Mankins if we only need one - the answer is the more valuable player - which is Asomugha. You can't let Bodden's presence deter you from signing the best CB in the game, and yes, I still think he's better than Revis, as his game isn't predicated on getting away with nearly as much contact.

Last edited:
Actually Gerard Warren has said that he talked with Seymour about the Patriots when they played together at Oakland, and that was what led him to want to play for New England.

It Is What It Is -- How Richard Seymour Sold Gerard Warren On Pats -- Mike Petraglia, WEEI.com
It Is What It Is -- Seymour Helped Sell Warren On Patriots -- Christopher Price, WEEI.com

Ah interesting links but what about that quote from Seymour saying that he would be happy to play for 31 teams. We all assumed that that the 32'd was New England but maybe not....sure would be nice to see him and Gerard Warren on each side of big Vince.

Gimme mankins, Bodden had a very good year in 09 and he's getting only 5 mill. Aso is a great player but he'd cost a ton.

In an article I read, Mike Lombardi stated the Pats are a potential suitor for Asomugha. With that being said, it is extremely unlikely we could keep Asomugha and Mankins. Maybe we could keep 1. If that was the case, who would you rather the Patriots pursue?

In my opinion, i would be shocked if we went after Asomugha because his cost will probably be prohibitive, but you never know.

NFL.com | CBA, veterans potentially on the move top offseason storylines | Who will sign Asomugha?

That's a pretty liberal reading of what he said. This article is purely speculation on his part and in this instance based on a handful of teams he feels will have cap space...

McCourty will be looking for his big deal in 3 more years (and given the early success of the 2010 draft class he likely won't be alone including core pro bowl caliber youngsters like Mayo and Gronk not to mention by then Warren and even Wilfork could be looking for replacement...). Don't want to set the precedent with a market setter like Asamougha in the backfield that would likely mean you can't retain the young talent you selected and developed yourself. And maybe you even have to downscale your depth at the position and keep hitting the second day draft market . Mankins is already budgeted into the long term plans at +/- $7M. Even if they go higher it won't be by much. Although that too will impact what they can retain and extend Vollmer at playing tackle and possibly LT. But the rest of the OL will clearly come via draft as it historically has making it easier to develop depth and even the league average starter from the second and third day draft market not to mention via the occasional UDFA candidate.

Right now this team is set up to succeed with a solid base roster and some young studs emerging from it's recent draft classes and a plethora of draft picks from which to fill gaps in the next 2 years not to mention the flexibility to take advantage of a flooded FA market sometime in the next 13 months. I wouldn't spend all my cash now just to sign one 30 year old elite FA CB. Any more than I would spend a ton of capital (draft picks and cash) to land an elite WR under contract. It's taken a lot of effort to position this team in the enviable position where it's at. We have half a dozen gaps or holes to fill via FA and the draft, and a couple of those could be eliminated or postoned at least another year via extensions that an Asamougha or even Fitzgerald deal would likely exceed. Now is not the time to radically alter the course to make a splashy deal to appease the win now crowd at the expense of the compete consistently philosophy that has stood this team in good stead for a decade.

And as for the pipedream of Nnamdi being ambivalent about $$$, LOL. Even though his deal mutually voided out he is on the record saying he would love to remain with the Raiders. Translation he wants to play for a potential contender as long as they pay him top dollar... otherwise he's happy to remain in the black hole he's called home for most of his career. Fyor $M his AAV is under the $16M he has already played for you can add a guaranteed year to the formula, which in a league returning to a hard cap at age 30 at the CB position is problematic.

Invest in a front 7 who can stop the run in base and get pressure rushing 3 and 4 for the next 4-5 years and this secondary will do just fine. Ditto this offense with a OL physically talented enough to both pass and run block consistently vs. ever larger DLmen and in particular vs. the increasing number of 3-4 defenses. Scar has done wonders turning sows ears into silk purses. Time to bump up the ceiling on the back end of Brady's career. It's a lot easier to upgrade an OL than it is to replace a HOF QB. And it's a lot easier to transition to a successor QB if you have a highly functional team in place to support him in transition.

So, start a couple of UDFAs off the streets this year. Get rid of every guard that's not making minimum wage.

A guard is a guard, right?

It's called sign a B level guard for 2 or 3 million.

Last edited:
It's called sign a B level guard for 3 or 4 million.

Why bother? A guard's a guard, after all.

If you let Mankins go, you've got to work two guards into the mix, since you can't rely on Neal's health even if he returns, and Connolly is not the answer. Imagine the money they could save if they'd just go with minimum wage guys!

Of course, the fact that the team's current scheduled payroll is very low for the upcoming season would allow the team to handle franchising Mankins quite easily. But why bother protecting the QB when the team can pay $12-16 million to improve a position that's nowhere near as poorly off as the guard spot?

Some of you people act as if the guard position isn't even worth thinking about. A fan base that watched the interior line get manhandled on a bad day in 2007, and saw the results of that, should know better.

Franchise and trade Mankins, sign Asomugha, end up with Asomugha and a low first/high second.

Serious question...

Why do you keep repeating this nonsense? :confused: Do you really think ANYONE would give that up? And if so, who?

1. Franchise Mankins
2. Resign Light
3. Play Bodden
4. Draft DE/OLB/OL

Why bother? A guard's a guard, after all.

If you let Mankins go, you've got to work two guards into the mix, since you can't rely on Neal's health even if he returns, and Connolly is not the answer. Imagine the money they could save if they'd just go with minimum wage guys!

Of course, the fact that the team's current scheduled payroll is very low for the upcoming season would allow the team to handle franchising Mankins quite easily. But why bother protecting the QB when the team can pay $12-16 million to improve a position that's nowhere near as poorly off as the guard spot?

Some of you people act as if the guard position isn't even worth thinking about. A fan base that watched the interior line get manhandled on a bad day in 2007, and saw the results of that, should know better.

The thead question was who would I rather have: Mankins or Asomugha. Asomugha is the superior player.

You also have to factor in that, due to his age, Asomugha is likely to not be worth what you'd be paying him in the latter years of his contract. Just look at Champ Bailey.

The thead question was who would I rather have: Mankins or Asomugha. Asomugha is the superior player.

Asomugha in a Pats uniform would be my dream come true. I'd like to have both Asomugha & Mankins as Pats next season. I'll keep my fingers crossed.

1.) How are you rating Asomugha the superior player? What's your metric?

2.) The O.P.'s question doesn't require you to throw your brain into the river and ignore the team's overall situation. You're allowed to take positional need into account.

1.) How are you rating Asomugha the superior player? What's your metric?

2.) The O.P.'s question doesn't require you to throw your brain into the river and ignore the team's overall situation. You're allowed to take positional need into account.

1.) He's the #1 CB in the league tied with Revis. The argument can go on and on.

2.) Remove Mankins and put Asomugha in the Jets game. Maybe the pats win a low scoring game and the Holmes TD never happens.

3.) Like the above poster said, why couldn't the Pats sign both? They'll have the cap room.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Back