Asomugha v. Mankins

Status
Not open for further replies.

billdog3484

PatsFans.com Supporter
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
Last edited by a moderator:
I would definately take Asomugha. We would be able to do so much having 2 shut down corners. E can blitz more and put leigh as a nickle. We can add an o lineman with on of the first round picks or 2nd rounder.

Asomugha and its not even close. A top 3 guard or a top 3 cb.

Re-sign Mankins and take the money you saved by not signing Asomugha and spend it on upgrading DE and OLB. An improved pass rush (and run defense) will improve the pass defense more than another corner, even one as elite as Asomugha.

Franchise and trade Mankins, sign Asomugha, end up with Asomugha and a low first/high second.

LeVoir
Connolly
Koppen
Wendell
Vollmer

Yeah, get 'er done, BB. :bricks:

Franchise and trade Mankins, sign Asomugha, end up with Asomugha and a low first/high second.
I don't know if anybody's going to give up that much for Mankins. They're not going to trade for him unless they have a deal in place with him; if that's the case just wait and sign him as a free agent without giving up a first or second round pick.

probably a luxury we don't need with Bodden coming back. I'd rather see Mankins resigned and a RB coming through free agency (P Thomas?) Address the OL, DL, OLB through the draft.

I don't know if anybody's going to give up that much for Mankins. They're not going to trade for him unless they have a deal in place with him; if that's the case just wait and sign him as a free agent without giving up a first or second round pick.

I don't think the Pats are going to sign Asomugha either. It's a best case scenario:D

Asomugha for sure! A defense with two shutdowns can blitz like crazy.

However it will be really hard to prize him away from Greasy Al. Davis is fanatical about CBs and would hate to see the Patriots get him.

Also consider all the un-wonderful things that Seymour has told Asomugha about the Patriots...some of it true.

However it will be really hard to prize him away from Greasy Al. Davis is fanatical about CBs and would hate to see the Patriots get him.

Also consider all the un-wonderful things that Seymour has told Asomugha about the Patriots...some of it true.

Hes a FA. No prying away needed.

Let's see, with Neal likely retiring and Kaczur's health questionable and the need to upgrade the center position to counter up the middle pressure, which position OL or CB is in more need of upgrade for our team?

Sign Mankins or at least find (unlikely) a top 10 OG replacement.

Last edited:

Actually Gerard Warren has said that he talked with Seymour about the Patriots when they played together at Oakland, and that was what led him to want to play for New England.

It Is What It Is -- How Richard Seymour Sold Gerard Warren On Pats -- Mike Petraglia, WEEI.com
It Is What It Is -- Seymour Helped Sell Warren On Patriots -- Christopher Price, WEEI.com

Last edited:
Let's see, with Neal likely retiring and Kaczur's health questionable and the need to upgrade the center position to counter up the middle pressure, which position OL or CB is in more need of upgrade for our team?

From reading the recent threads, Brady is apparently so good that he doesn't need an offensive line so the team can skimp on OT and OG or else bring in rookies all over the line, but the offensive line must be replaced because it can't protect Brady.

I'm still trying to reconcile those two positions.

LeVoir
Connolly
Koppen
Wendell
Vollmer

Yeah, get 'er done, BB. :bricks:

That's a solid OL if I've ever seen one :rofl:

Mankins is a need and Asomugha is a dream

Both if possible. Lombardi mentions in the piece that New England will have a lot of cap room if/when a new CBA is reached.

10.5million on the 'tag' for Mankins? A OG? I'll pass.

I'd give 11million/yr for Nnamdi. Then, with 2-3 picks get OTs/OGs in draft.

It's much harder to find a shutdown-CB, than a very-good OG.

Asomugha is primed to become one of, if not the highest paid defensive player in the league. He's simply not a good investment. So while I think CB is clearly more valuable than OG, given our talent at the respective positions, I'm going to go with Mankins.

What does Al Davis have to do with this?

Its impossible to ask a question like this without assigning price tags to them.

If I had to choose between:
1) Mankins on an 9 mil/year contract
2) Asomugha on a 10mil/year contract, draft pick from trading Mankins

...I would take Asomugha. We have the resources to adequately replace Mankins (Davin Joseph in FA?) especially after getting another pick. Mankins makes our offense better, but Asomugha would make our secondary the best in the league. With Asomugha/McCourty/Bodden/Chung we could blitz at will.

Loss in offensive power < gain in defensive power given this scenario. We don't need to score 30 ppg if we make our defense an elite unit.

Having said all that, I'm more worried about the scenario that we don't get Mankins OR Asomugha.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes