PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Ask PFW getting irritating?

Status
Not open for further replies.

pats1

PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
http://www.patriots.com/news/index.cfm?ac=latestnewsdetail&pid=18658&pcid=41

Instead of answering questions as insightful journalists, this has turned into a "let's see who can immaturely humiliate each other more" type of read. I've stopped reading it. Not worth the time. Endless bickering.

What the section seems to be taking the direction of is that little "point/counter-point" piece from Patriots Today which was nothing more than what you'd find on WEEI these days - yelling, screaming, and more moronic comments and insights than one can imagine. Perillo could bring some sense to the Big Show every once in awhile, but even he gets dragged into crap by that quack Casale who presents himself as a grade schooler. (That's right, Casale, if you're reading this! :D)

And to think they are representing such an efficient, classy, sound franchise!

Last edited:
I barely even visit Patriots.com anymore since they sold PVN and all it's archives and tried replacing it with a sub-standard product. Granted, the dingbat hostette has nice sweater-puppies, but the value stops right about there.

"Assante Samuel has never been anything more than decent"?
Ouch! That's gotta smart. I'd have to disagree with that asessment.

I actually enjoy it. It's a mailbag, it's not a news story. They are offering their opinion and I find it entertaining whether I agree with them or not. That's what a mailbag should be. I just read the recent one and I think it had a ton of good stuff on the draft and even Rodney's injury. I love Mike Reiss but the one thing he does that sucks is his mailbag. I think it's boring but that's just me. At least the PFW guys give some opinions instead of saying, "Tebucky Jones will wear #34." - Mike Reiss

T-ShirtDynasty said:
I barely even visit Patriots.com anymore since they sold PVN and all it's archives and tried replacing it with a sub-standard product. Granted, the dingbat hostette has nice sweater-puppies, but the value stops right about there.

:ditto: ....................

T-ShirtDynasty said:

You can't make a statement like that without poating a photo. Now I'm going to be thinking about sweater puppies all night.

Wait a minute- I think about them all night anyway. But it would be nice to see the photo.

PFW, I agree

T-Shirt dynasty, I agree. When they sold PVN that burned my ass something fierce. I hate that second rate Patriots Today crap. The only highlight is that Brian Lowe makes an appearance every once in a while. "Mr. Kraft bring back the PVN to your fans!"

I tend to agree it has gone down hill..the wed show is a bit better, but some of the shows are truly forgetable..NOT really up to par at all. Downward trend really does not bode well for them. At one time they seemed to take it a bit MORE seriously.

I agree the radio show can be annoying, especially Andy Hart who I can't stand. However, the biggest thing the PFW guys are hired for is to write for the team's newspapers which is an excellent publication. Does anyone else get PFW? I don't think any other team newspaper in the league is that good so that's where I think they earn their money. The Internet show and all that stuff is just side things but they do put out an impressive newspaper. For Patriots fans, I think it's a must have because everything else around here is so centered on the stupid Red Sox, it's nice to get something in the mail every week devoted just to the Patriots and is of high quality. That's where they do there news reporting, it's not like Ask PFW and I think they give good insight on the team even though I don't like some of them personally.

I subscribe and enjoy their written work. Hart can be grating. On a radio show last week he actually joked that the Pats should kidnap the wives of prospective placekickers in the middle of the night, lure the players to Gilette, and force them to kick field goals while holding knives at their wives' throats, to test the players' nerves under pressure. At that point I shut of their radio show and haven't listened again... Wow... I bet if Myra had heard that "joke" Hart would have been fired... but overall its the best team newspaper in the country, no doubt.

I love PFW.

The ask PFW is really a crap shoot over who they have answering the questions. Andy can be a pain, and Tom is so-so, But Paul is good and Brian is a good egg.

Patriots today is not bad though. Their draft lead up has been very good. I like Lori Beranski.

PonyExpress said:
I subscribe and enjoy their written work. Hart can be grating. On a radio show last week he actually joked that the Pats should kidnap the wives of prospective placekickers in the middle of the night, lure the players to Gilette, and force them to kick field goals while holding knives at their wives' throats, to test the players' nerves under pressure. At that point I shut of their radio show and haven't listened again... Wow... I bet if Myra had heard that "joke" Hart would have been fired... but overall its the best team newspaper in the country, no doubt.

Yeah, I heard that too and was embarassed for him. I kind of like Casale because he keeps trying to talk about the draft and football but everyone else keeps cutting him off with stupid jokes. Someone will write in and ask an actual football question and while he's trying to answer, it turns into a comedy fest. That's what I hate most about the show. I mean, he has a lot of strong opinions that I don't always agree with but he backs up his arguments and most importantly he admits when he's wrong but when he does, Hart gets all over his ass about being wishy washy. I like someone to have an opinion but I also like it when they take the time to admit when they're wrong. Of course if Andy did that, it would take up the entire show because all he does is slam the team he works for and then sweeps it under the rug when they prove him wrong.

I think Tom and Paul do a good job with Ask PFW and Andy sucks. Paul knows more about the Patriots than anyone but Tom knows more about the NFL in general because I think he covered the entire league before he came here. His draft articles on Patriots.com are unmatched in the Boston media I think. Andy knows nothing about anything so he resorts to calling the fans stupid, which shows his complete lack of intelligence. Sorry but that guy just rubs me the wrong way. Anyway, the paper is very good.

Last edited:
I like Paul a great deal..... He does a reputable job. Fred is the ultimate "homer" but I like him anyway. He's very sincere with his bias towards the Pats, I get a kick out of that. Andy tries hard to be abrasive at times but I like his insight and objectivity. Its the new guy Tom that I get irritated with more often than not. He's comes off as a brown-noser and something of a bragger..... But overall they entertain and do a fair job.. IMHO :rocker:

It may just be I'm not a big fan of 'mailbags' in general. Whoever answers them has to, by nature, answer the questions. However, since the responder isn't truly going to have a true grasp of the situation (third party), they're left with two options: answer as if they are a firmly plantled insider or just bounce around some speculation. With the former, even if they do know more than the public, disclosing the info wouldn't be in the best interest of the organization. With the latter, speculation isn't going to really answer the quesiton and only creates further problems with future intenability.

Is it the writers who are irritating or the people who send in questions?

Like the guy who writes in about Rodney's rehab. He seems outraged he hasn't heard anything about it. Has he been on Mars? Rodney's progress has been reported on several times, including by Rodney himself and right here on this board (thanks for the inside scoop PatJew.)

It's the sometimes inane questions that bother me about PFW. Who did the Pats sell PVN too? It's still on Comcast, right?

They are pretty good. Paul Perillo, is probably along with Curren one of the best Pats beat writers.. Tom is just trying to find his niche, and Andy has good draft and college knowledge, while Fred he is a company man, and nothing is wrong with that as long as the company is the Pats...

Sean Pa Patriot said:
They are pretty good. Paul Perillo, is probably along with Curren one of the best Pats beat writers.. Tom is just trying to find his niche, and Andy has good draft and college knowledge, while Fred he is a company man, and nothing is wrong with that as long as the company is the Pats...

Isn't Tom the one who writes all the draft articles? I think he is. Anyways, they mentioned this web site on their radio show because someone e-mailed and said that we were ripping them. I think it was Tom who said this was a great fan site and the message board was way better than KFFL and Andy agreed.

PonyExpress said:

Sounds like Andy's been watching a bit too much 24.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye