Welcome to PatsFans.com

Asian discrimination in college admissions, again?

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by PatsWSB47, Feb 3, 2012.

1. PatsWSB47

PatsWSB47 Rookie

Ratings:
    +121 / 0 / -1

#12 Jersey

This particular case may or not fit,(too early to say for sure) but the article uncovers some pretty interesting back up for the trend. Maybe the admissions department is led by people with low I.Q.'s:rolleyes:

Asian-American Claims Harvard, Princeton Denied Admission Based On Race

Asian-American Claims Harvard, Princeton Denied Admission Based On Race

The U.S. Education Department's Office of Civil Rights is investigating Harvard and Princeton after receiving a complaint from an Indian-American student last August claiming that both Ivy League universities discriminated against him during the college admissions process because he was Asian, according to a report published today on Bloomberg's website.

Admissions counselors at elite colleges have also confirmed that Asians face a tougher time during college admissions. Writing for the Boston Globe, Kara Miller shared her experience working as a reader for Yale's Office of Undergraduate Admissions:

Last edited: Feb 3, 2012
  2. PatriotsReign

PatriotsReign Rookie

Ratings:
    +212 / 3 / -10

Maybe some idiots think Asians don't need as much help as African or Latino-Americans?
  3. Harry Boy

Harry Boy Look Up, It's Amazing PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +378 / 1 / -9

The liberals don't give a sh!t about Asians, never did.
  4. Mrs.PatsFanInVa

Mrs.PatsFanInVa PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +377 / 8 / -3

#11 Jersey

Some have certainly implied so, yes.

http://www.patsfans.com/new-england...blicans-really-racist-page16.html#post2868597

http://www.patsfans.com/new-england...tes-racially-oppressed-page4.html#post2495756
  5. PatriotsReign

PatriotsReign Rookie

Ratings:
    +212 / 3 / -10

Nice try, but the IDIOTS I am referring to are those who believe that Asians from low income household's need less help than other low income households.

And that is blatantly false.

As a whole, Asians do very well in America. But that doesn't imply that Asians of the same income demographics as any other person deserve any less support.

Honestly, when it comes to education funding (scholarships), race shouldn't even be considered. The only relevant issue is ability to pay. And if we're going to support programs to help MINORITIES, then it has to include all minorities. Not just a select few.

Admissions Officer: "Ok, so we have 3 candidates from similar income households. Wow! One is an exceptional student with impeccable scores...oh, wait, we can't help her because the other 2 candidates are African-Americans and she's just an Asian." :rolleyes:
  6. Mrs.PatsFanInVa

Ratings:
    +377 / 8 / -3

#11 Jersey

Where, in the lawsuits which are under discussion in this article, does it state that any of those refused admission concerned any sort of financial aid or scholarship grants?
  7. IcyPatriot

IcyPatriot ------------- PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +626 / 4 / -13

#87 Jersey

That stuff was discussed back when I graduated high school ... still there I guess. Some colleges want broad demographics on their campus ... racially diverse ... sucks if you come from a pool of smart people. Sucks if you also come from a smart town or state ... they don't want to many of one type of student from anywhere.
  8. Patsfanin Philly

Patsfanin Philly Rookie

Ratings:
    +29 / 0 / -0

#95 Jersey

Ironically the geographic diversity thing started as a way to reduce the number of Jews on college campuses in the 1920s. The old Guard at a few Ivy League colleges were concerned that their pristine halls were being occupied by the children of immigrants from the Lower East Side and Roxbury and had to find a way to reduce the number of Jews. They came up with geographic diversity figuring that there were not that many MOT (member of the tribe) in Nebraska and Iowa....And that as Paul Harvey used to say is the rest of the story...

Harvard's Jewish Problem
  9. PatriotsReign

PatriotsReign Rookie

Ratings:
    +212 / 3 / -10

So now we're going to talk in circles...you ask me a question instead of responding to my points?

Just to humor you, the article didn't discuss financial aid, it discussed admissions. I brought that up relative to scholarhsips/financial aid becaue they're all related. And because I read this quote;

In your opinion, is it fair to admit an African-American student over an Asian-American student if they have similar hard-knock backgrounds?
  10. PatriotsReign

PatriotsReign Rookie

Ratings:
    +212 / 3 / -10

"The Jews!"...it wasn't that long ago...and seems almost unreal. Same for all prejudice and racist things that happened in this nation. Those who weren't victims can easily forget...but not if your ancestors were victims.

Thank you Philly....you just educated me...I didn't have a clue that happened. I can only pretend to understand that and we need people like you to keep telling these little known bits of history.

The wierd thing for me is that even the Irish bore the brunt of brutal prejudice when they first started coming here...and I'm sure the Italians and Polish would say the same thing. But it didn't last long and for whatever the reason, we don't pass on such stories. Where Jews, African-Americans and other minorities have felt it for generations.
  11. Patsfanin Philly

Patsfanin Philly Rookie

Ratings:
    +29 / 0 / -0

#95 Jersey

Having two high school students applying to college now ( one a senior, one a junior) my knowledge base is a little higher than it was several years ago. There are a plethora of sites where students can enter their GPA/SAT scores and profiles and see on a scatter-plot the students over the last few years who were accepted,rejected, waitlisted and deferred at a specific university. In almost every case where there is an outliar such as a student with very high SAT scores and high GPA who should have gotten in considering all the scores around them but was rejected, checking the profiles reveals that those students were either Asian or East Indian in ethnicity. Where there is smoke, there is often fire and in this case, I believe there is discrimination against some very qualified students because of their ethnicity and that is wrong....

How Diversity Punishes Asians, Poor Whites and Lots of Others
  12. PatsWSB47

PatsWSB47 Rookie

Ratings:
    +121 / 0 / -1

#12 Jersey

Thanks for bring this thread back on topic. This should be addressed. I'm curious though why there is so little discussion about it in this forum.....politically correct threads abound here. I think this Asian discrimination admission policy denial is a poster child of it. Let's take our heads out of the sand and face it for what it is. Good qualified kids are are being shut out. "Make up calls" are not the answer.
  13. PatriotsReign

PatriotsReign Rookie

Ratings:
    +212 / 3 / -10

With the exception of this post, I just read every post in this thread and not one was off-topic SB42.

Every post mentioned discrimination and/or Asians.

So what are talking about?
  14. Harry Boy

Harry Boy Look Up, It's Amazing PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +378 / 1 / -9

Liberals have a tendecy to "ignore" Asians in fact they seem to want nothing to do with them at all.
    Asians don't seem to need the Liberals slopping and slobbering and feel good fawning sh!t.
    Asians take care of themselves, they work hard, they are smart, they demand NOTHING, they aren't obsessesd with sex crap, etc etc.

Liberals don't like these kind of minorities and those kind of minorities don't like Do-Gooders nor do they need them.
  15. PatsWSB47

PatsWSB47 Rookie

Ratings:
    +121 / 0 / -1

#12 Jersey

The question isn't why some people think other groups should get more, the question is why Asians are being shut out? It doesn't make sense.
  16. Mrs.PatsFanInVa

Ratings:
    +377 / 8 / -3

#11 Jersey

I don't know....if Asians make up only 4.7% of the US population and they make up 16% of the students at Harvard and 18% at Princeton it doesn't seem like they're being shut out on a racial basis, does it?

Especially not when you consider that blacks compromise 7% and Hispanics, 8% of total enrollment when they make up 12.2% and 16.3% of US population respectively.

Demographics of the United States - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
  17. Hamar

Hamar Rookie

Ratings:
    +46 / 0 / -1

So, would it be ok to apply that same logic to everything racial? Just curious.
  18. PatriotsReign

PatriotsReign Rookie

Ratings:
    +212 / 3 / -10

College enrollment and percent of population are not linked and should not be linked.

We do not a have a quota system. That's something that drives many more qualified students nuts and understandably so.
  19. PatsWSB47

PatsWSB47 Rookie

Ratings:
    +121 / 0 / -1

#12 Jersey

Are you suggesting they're getting preferential treatment? I know you aren't but this is an example of where raw stats don't tell the story. On the contrary, I think their overwhelming success in earning their places in universities has led to "diversity guru's" to butt in and level the field.

Hmmm only 4.7% of the population and there's 18% enrolled here?....why we have to put a stop to that! That can't be fair. We just have too many Asians, qualifications be damned.

I really think this attitude lurks in some of these universities. Their "do gooder" intentions are hypocritical in my opinion.

Do colleges redline Asian-Americans? - The Boston Globe

Some Asians' college strategy: Don't check box

Washingtonpost.com: Affirmative Action Special Report
  20. Mrs.PatsFanInVa

Ratings:
    +377 / 8 / -3

#11 Jersey

First off, let me say that I'm not trying to make this a pizzing contest....I have no dog in this fight and the subject is not something I've ever managed to make my mind up about in several respects. I'm basically trying to play devil's advocate - and perhaps get some opinions which may help me come to a personal decision in the process.

If you read this thread, http://www.patsfans.com/new-england...12/892307-stop-complaining-start-signing.html, you'll find that several people felt that a private school can set any guidelines they wish. If you talk to a Ron Paul supporter, you'll find that they believe that any private entity has the right to refuse services to anyone based on their own personal beliefs.

Harvard and Princeton, the two universities being discussed here, are private schools - because of that, aren't they allowed to set their own admssions policies - and their own sliding SAT scales based on whatever they want?

Normally I would argue that no, they are not - as long as they take public funds and accept government money they should be expected to follow federal guidelines - but, as PR points out, there are no racial quotas - so that's out as an argument.

I don't know the answer - and, as I said, I'm not even sure how I feel about it - but, so far, based on the opinions here, that evil liberal state, California, is doing it right and should be setting the example for the rest of the states (and private institutions, as well) with their law which legally prohibits public universities from considering race in admissions. At the University of California Berkeley, for example, 40 percent of undergraduate students are Asian.