PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Asante Samuels moral dilemma regarding Jason Collins

Lifer

Banned
Reaction score
He doesnt know how to explain this to his kid. I would tell him the same way he explained it to all his other kids from all the other baby mommas. I love how the seven or eight different baby mothers and all the violent crimes is ok with the suddenly Holy sports world. Same hypocrisy thats in the church. Divorces everywhere, spiritual abuse, physical abuse, greed, envy, premarital sex. Yet shouts of Amen! When the Gay is scapegoated. People, Christians need to clean up our own act before we point out the speck in our brothers eye.

He doesnt know how to explain this to his kid. I would tell him the same way he explained it to all his other kids from all the other baby mommas. I love how the seven or eight different baby mothers and all the violent crimes is ok with the suddenly Holy sports world. Same hypocrisy thats in the church. Divorces everywhere, spiritual abuse, physical abuse, greed, envy, premarital sex. Yet shouts of Amen! When the Gay is scapegoated. People, Christians need to clean up our own act before we point out the speck in our brothers eye.

Actually they need to do both, stand for the truth and live the truth. Divorce and "remarriage" are wrong. Premarital sex is wrong. Physical abuse is wrong.
Greed and envy are wrong along with gluttony, adultery, materialism, and sloth. Homosexual sex acts are also always wrong.

Actually they need to do both, stand for the truth and live the truth. Divorce and "remarriage" are wrong. Premarital sex is wrong. Physical abuse is wrong.
Greed and envy are wrong along with gluttony, adultery, materialism, and sloth. Homosexual sex acts are also always wrong.

How about arrogance?

I'm not going to use Assante Samuel as my moral compass. Same with Jason Collins or anyone kissing his ass.

Somebody better hurry up and tell the Jews....or are you once again using your own beliefs as the litmus test?

I think they have been told.

Not my beliefs....but more importantly the beliefs of the church established by ************.

what the hell r u spewing out here...you don't like peoples morals?

Not my beliefs....but more importantly the beliefs of the church established by ************.

Too bad for you that not every religion believes in ************....nor in the premise that divorce and/or remarriage is a religious wrongness.

It is arrogant of you to assume that only you and your chosen religion holds the key to goodness and the path to salvation.

what the hell r u spewing out here...you don't like peoples morals?

I think you might be having trouble understanding the premise of this thread.

Look up mote and eye and beam in the bible in regards to Assante Samuels and you might grasp the concept being set forth.

Look, I'm as supportive of unwed mothers as the next guy, but it only goes so far :D

In all seriousness, to flesh that out:

"I think they've been told" (re: Jews) just means that in your religion, you have a tenet that Jews were supposed to believe in Jesus, but didn't, so "officially" -- in your mind -- Judaism includes everything you imagine Christianity to encompass.

However, Judaism always has included procedures for divorce, for any reason. (Well, at least for the man... I said we've always had divorce, not that it's been egalitarian.) Marriage itself has grown in complexity from a time when you could throw a garment over a woman who's cold, and go from there, to the time when a written contract needed to be signed for a marriage, likely introduced well prior to Christianity.

I'd be interested to see the "laws" on divorce that actually appear in the greek bible, which Christians appended to the tanakh.

I do know that Paul grudgingly wrote that getting married, while not a good thing per se, is better than "to burn." (1 Corinthians 7:8-9)

Paul of Tarsus said:
8 I say therefore to the unmarried and widows, it is good for them if they abide even as I.

9 But if they cannot contain, let them marry: for it is better to marry than to burn.

This of course reflects the historically inaccurate prediction by Jesus that he would return within the lifetime of his followers -- after all, if you believed it would be a thousand or two thousand years until the parousia, you'd immediately establish a project to continue normal life until such time as the parousia -- and of course, the kingdom -- came to pass; if you believed it would happen in a radically accelerated time-frame, you would have the question of whether an unmarried person should marry.

Whatever later rationalizations a given sect of Christianity came up with thereafter may be satisfying to adherents of that sect, but they do not square with the beliefs of that religion's founders. Not my problem, believe what you want to believe. But there it is.

Now what's the scripture on divorce in Christianity?

Can you quote scripture that forbids divorce in Christianity? Because Paul also allows for divorce and remarriage in cases of unfaithfulness and in cases where the spouse is not a "believer."

This does not preclude other passages saying the opposite, of course. But I'm interested in seeing the prohibitions in black and white.

PFnV

"I think they've been told" (re: Jews) just means that in your religion, you have a tenet that Jews were supposed to believe in Jesus, but didn't, so "officially" -- in your mind -- Judaism includes everything you imagine Christianity to encompass.

However, Judaism always has included procedures for divorce, for any reason. (Well, at least for the man... I said we've always had divorce, not that it's been egalitarian.) Marriage itself has grown in complexity from a time when you could throw a garment over a woman who's cold, and go from there, to the time when a written contract needed to be signed for a marriage, likely introduced well prior to Christianity.

I'd be interested to see the "laws" on divorce that actually appear in the greek bible, which Christians appended to the tanakh.

I do know that Paul grudgingly wrote that getting married, while not a good thing per se, is better than "to burn." (1 Corinthians 7:8-9)

This of course reflects the historically inaccurate prediction by Jesus that he would return within the lifetime of his followers -- after all, if you believed it would be a thousand or two thousand years until the parousia, you'd immediately establish a project to continue normal life until such time as the parousia -- and of course, the kingdom -- came to pass; if you believed it would happen in a radically accelerated time-frame, you would have the question of whether an unmarried person should marry.

Whatever later rationalizations a given sect of Christianity came up with thereafter may be satisfying to adherents of that sect, but they do not square with the beliefs of that religion's founders. Not my problem, believe what you want to believe. But there it is.

Can you quote scripture that forbids divorce in Christianity? Because Paul also allows for divorce and remarriage in cases of unfaithfulness and in cases where the spouse is not a "believer."

This does not preclude other passages saying the opposite, of course. But I'm interested in seeing the prohibitions in black and white.

PFnV

Well, first off, I am not an evangelical christian. So simply getting into scripture passage wars isn't how we come to our faith. Our faith is a combination of our scriptures as well as our oral tradition, the oral tradition being first and being the only source until a "canon" of scripture was codified hundreds of years later.
Catholic teaching has always maintained that if one is married that they are married "till death do they part". There are some very rare exceptions.....the Pauline priviledge, for example.
Catholic teaching also allows for civil divorce in the case of danger to a spouse but the sacramental bond of the marriage is still present and the person cannot remarry.
So for Catholics, the key is the entering into another "marriage" relationship which would be adultery in the eyes of the church and of God.

BTW, although some in the church may have believed that christ was returning in their lifetime, the church has never taught that to be true.

PFnV

Judiasm is Christianity as blood is water. Jews don't read the Bible either. Talmud?

Too bad for you that not every religion believes in ************....nor in the premise that divorce and/or remarriage is a religious wrongness.

It is arrogant of you to assume that only you and your chosen religion holds the key to goodness and the path to salvation.

actually, all religions think this way.....that is why so many die for them

actually, all religions think this way.....that is why so many die for them

Some members of all religions think that way....but not all members.

There are many religious people who believe that while their's is the "right" way it is not the "only" way and are more than willing to accept that other faiths are also valid and that members of other faiths are equally "good people" and, as such, are not to be hated, feared, mistreated, preached to or otherwise maligned.

Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Back