PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Asante Samuel...

Status
Not open for further replies.

mavfan2390

Rotational Player and Threatening Starter's Job
Reaction score
now lead the NFL in interceptions with 6...Pro Bowl baby! AND GET HIM RE-SIGNED!

His price tag went up today but, yeah, I'd be hard pressed not to go the extra mile and overpay just a little to get him locked up right now.

yep. tied with Walt Harris and Rashean Mathis. get this man resigned..hes happy here..hes had a great time especially tonight. he might not ever be a Champ Bailey like player but hes a legit starter who is still learning and getting better. 9 solo tackles and 3 picks? thats unheard of..he stopped the run by flying up and taking the ball carrier down..and lets not forget..hes been on jacked up quiet a few times hitting TEs specifically aswell as Ricky Williams.

He has my vote (and I'm a Bears fan). Great game by him. I'll vote for him to try to help him get there. ;)

Get him signed up, theres plenty of cap room, he will probably hit FA and leave NE because the FO will not pay a little extra

They can always franchise him if he wants too much. It's too bad they don't have more upcoming talent in the defensive backfield to replace him. I don't think he's really worht 6M a year or so. But he was today.

I do hope we can sign him and not lose him. Pay him!

I have always liked Assante and have never had a problem with him.

He makes big plays and the people on here that choose to bltch about him have no idea what the hell they are talking about.

I will be bummed bigtime if we let him go. Lets just resign him....
we have the money don't we??

Aren't we still way under the cap RIGHT NOW?

somebody? anybody?

I have always liked Assante and have never had a problem with him.

He makes big plays and the people on here that choose to bltch about him have no idea what the hell they are talking about.

I will be bummed bigtime if we let him go. Lets just resign him....
we have the money don't we??

Aren't we still way under the cap RIGHT NOW?

somebody? anybody?

My two cents, corners cost money... pay him market value, likely to be around $28-32 million over 5 years. Draft a corner in round 1 and make CB a strength of the team.

Last edited:
Projected to be and drafted to be a NICKLE BACK....Samuel has come a long, long way. I called him PinBall his 1st 2 years due to his inability to tackle anybody...he was always bouncing off of them...the the QB's always threw his way.

I remember reading a few times how much QB's picking on him pissed him off...well it worked. He's really not a shut-down caliber CB...more of the #2 variety...I hope this doesn't turn out to be Branch all over again due to that factor.

Last edited:
I always liked him too. Thought he had good ability to always be right on the receiver. If you pay one guy 6M per, it kind of skews the whole pay scale.

They might have to franchise him. It would give them time to get some draft picks up to speed.

Colvin and Dillon need to be re-worked too.

We have alot of linebackers, woods, TBC are both good. We just don't have alot of really smart guys who can play middle.

is asante worth over 5 million a year? what is a good corner worth? i think that is a bit much for him. they really need to draft a cb or two.

i'd love to see him come back but i think he should get deshea townsend type money but i can't remember how much exactly that is.

if you're gonna pay 6 plus, go after clements if he's not franchised.

or use 5 million plus for a linebacker like briggs or thomas and draft two secondary players.

I always liked him too. Thought he had good ability to always be right on the receiver. If you pay one guy 6M per, it kind of skews the whole pay scale.

They might have to franchise him. It would give them time to get some draft picks up to speed.

Colvin and Dillon need to be re-worked too.

We have alot of linebackers, woods, TBC are both good. We just don't have alot of really smart guys who can play middle.

Franchising Samuel is alot of money, even transitioning him is alot IMO. I don't see the FO doing that.

The Pats do not have a surplus of linebackers. If TBC was really good he'd be starting. They need to draft or sign one.

is asante worth over 5 million a year? what is a good corner worth? i think that is a bit much for him. they really need to draft a cb or two.

i'd love to see him come back but i think he should get deshea townsend type money but i can't remember how much exactly that is.

if you're gonna pay 6 plus, go after clements if he's not franchised.

or use 5 million plus for a linebacker like briggs or thomas and draft two secondary players.

I posted this early but it is relevant, list of some of the CB signings in the last couple of years.
---------------------------------------------------------
Here are some recent CB signings, make your own guess on where Samuels ranks. According to Miguel the Franchise number (average of top 5 salaries) for Cornerback, $7.226 million

Samari Rolle, Baltimore - 6 years, $30.5 M, $11M bonus, YOB 1976
Fred Smoot, Vikings - 6 years, $34 M, $10M bonus, YOB 1979
Antoine Winfield, Vikings - 6 years, $35 M, $10.8M bonus, YOB 1977
Fred Baxter, Cleveland - 6 years, $30 M, $10M bonus, YOB 1978
Brian Williams, Jacksonville, 6 years, $34M, $10M bonus, YOB 1979
R.W. McQuarters, Giants - 3 years, $6M , $2M bonus, YOB 1976
Ike Taylor, Pittsburgh - 4 years, $22.5M, $6.4 bonus, YOB 1980
Deshea Townsend, Pittsburgh - 4 years, $8M, $2 bonus, YOB 1975
Lito Shepperd, Eagles - 5 years, $25M, $9M bonus, YOB 1981
Sheldon Brown, Eagles - 6 years, $30M, $7M bonus, YOB 1979
Ty Law, Chiefs - 5 years, $31.5M, $4M bonus, YOB 1974
Mike McKenzie, Saints - 5-year, $22M, $4M bonus, YOB 1976

FA class is weak, http://www.footballsfuture.com/2007/...eagentsDB.html

Samuels - ???? - YOB 1981
- wow, I didn't know he is so young, he is only 2 years older than Hobbs
My guess, I think he on the rise and while he may never be a top 5 CB he should be a better than average 1st line CB for the entire length of the contract. If the Pats sign Samuels and draft a CB in rounds 1 or 2 cornerback will become a position of strength.

... signs for 5 years - $29M, $8.5M bonus but not with the Pats

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots