PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Asante Samuel...Where'd He Go?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Snake

Third String But Playing on Special Teams
Reaction score
Asante Samuel will be one of the most highly regarded defensive free agents on the market next season, and the Patriots have already said they won't make him a franchise player, but after his ho-hum showing the past several games, do you think he will command the kind of money he thinks he deserves?

Samuel has not been making the big plays a player seeking tens of millions of dollars needs to make to be as important as Asante thinks he is.

Whaddya think about Samuel? Laying down? Getting beat? Overconfident?
Too co*cky...or do you think he is playing at the level he is expected to play?

Last edited:
Or he's just not being thrown to as much? I've seen more of Hobbs on plays this season then Samuel. Granted, I've seen Samuel get beat deep a couple times recently, but I just don't know if they're throwing to his side. Anyone have any stats?

He played poorly last week but IMO he hasn't made as many big plays because other teams stopped throwing to his receiver half way through the season.

Or he's just not being thrown to as much? I've seen more of Hobbs on plays this season then Samuel. Granted, I've seen Samuel get beat deep a couple times recently, but I just don't know if they're throwing to his side. Anyone have any stats?

I think you're right. People would much rather through toward Hobbs and try to exploit him.

Asante still has pretty darn good numbers for the season over-all.

Asante Samuel made the All-Pro Team this year. nuff said.

2 bad games dont throw away 15 good ones

hes fine

I think you're right. People would much rather through toward Hobbs and try to exploit him.

Asante still has pretty darn good numbers for the season over-all.

That's exactly why people see Hobbs more than Samuel. I saw it so much I started cringing when they kept throwing his way over and over again.

Asante doesn't have the numbers he had last year.

That ALl Pro designation will gibe him beacoup bucks...but I agree he has not had two good games...but??? There are a few more to go this year..he'll get the big bucks. bit here..

I doubt any pro personnel people are going to over or undervalue a player based on recent results over a few game stretch. He's incredibly gifted and he's going to paid a heck of a lot no matter if he gets 4 interceptions to end the playoffs or is beat a couple more times.

I doubt any pro personnel people are going to over or undervalue a player based on recent results over a few game stretch. He's incredibly gifted and he's going to paid a heck of a lot no matter if he gets 4 interceptions to end the playoffs or is beat a couple more times.

There were stats here last week that showed pretty clearly that they do not throw at Hobbs much more, and he has given up fewer big plays and TD's this season than Asante. Go figure.

Asante has tailed off down the stretch. Maybe he's dinged up, or maybe it's because we were facing better or more careful and focused QB's. Recently our ballhawk has gotten burned. Asante feasts on scatter brained or armed QB's. Remember, 6 of his 10 picks last season came against just 2 QB's, Culpepper and Grossman...

I think his pro bowl nod this season, as well as the all pro, were based to an extent on his performance last season and the feeling he got overlooked by the voters in 2007, and the fact that he was part of an undefeated team this season.

I hope he steps up in the next two games. His next contract will depend on it. If he doesn't do much, and the team doesn't make a substantial offer to retain him beyond the $6M per that was on the table last spring, he may not see the $8-9M and $30M guaranteed he's reportedly looking for. The track record of players who left here believing they were uniquely talented beyond the system is depressing. Sooner or later the league is gonna catch on. If you are worth it to BB he pays you. If you aren't worth it to him, you are probably worth less to someone else.

There were stats here last week that showed pretty clearly that they do not throw at Hobbs much more, and he has given up fewer big plays and TD's this season than Asante. Go figure.

Asante has tailed off down the stretch. Maybe he's dinged up, or maybe it's because we were facing better or more careful and focused QB's. Recently our ballhawk has gotten burned. Asante feasts on scatter brained or armed QB's. Remember, 6 of his 10 picks last season came against just 2 QB's, Culpepper and Grossman...

I think his pro bowl nod this season, as well as the all pro, were based to an extent on his performance last season and the feeling he got overlooked by the voters in 2007, and the fact that he was part of an undefeated team this season.

I hope he steps up in the next two games. His next contract will depend on it. If he doesn't do much, and the team doesn't make a substantial offer to retain him beyond the $6M per that was on the table last spring, he may not see the $8-9M and $30M guaranteed he's reportedly looking for. The track record of players who left here believing they were uniquely talented beyond the system is depressing. Sooner or later the league is gonna catch on. If you are worth it to BB he pays you. If you aren't worth it to him, you are probably worth less to someone else.

AssSam is gone after the Super Bowl - We look for a corner in round 2

That ALl Pro designation will gibe him beacoup bucks...but I agree he has not had two good games...but??? There are a few more to go this year..he'll get the big bucks. bit here..

translation?

I'm sure most teams personnel departments are not over or undervaluing players based on recent results over the course of a couple games. Asante is an incredibly gifted player and is going to receive one heck of a payday, whether or not he finishes the playoffs strong or is beat on some more plays.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes