PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Asante Samuel or Tom Brady - Whose loss has made a bigger difference?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I getcha. I vote for Brady, because Asante just hasn't played well this year. I don't know if it is laziness from getting his big contract, not fitting in with the Eagles defense, or a combination of the two.

If Brady was here this year he might be trying to break his records from last year (especially the way the D has played) and we would probably be at around 10-3. If Asante was here I doubt we would be in much better shape than we are now, record wise or defense wise.

Is there no limit to stupid threads ???

Are you kidding me ?

Apparantly not.

Hey, since Brady is not the biggest loss, I say we keep Cassel and trade Brady. Hopefully, we can get at least a fourth rounder for him ;)

Samuel or Brady? - Who,by not being on the team this year (by way of injury and FA obviously) has been the biggest difference between this team fighting for a playoff spot right now and a team that usually has some breathing room about this time of year?

In september I would have easily said Brady was far and away the biggest loss but since Cassel has played MUCH better than expected and our secondary has played much worse without Asante and his skills I am leaning towards Asante being the bigger loss since no one opposite Hobbs could carry Asante's jock strap this year while Cassel has not been a world beater but admirable in his efforts.

With that being said,I am more than excited to see #12 back next season but IMO his loss is second biggest now after seeing the trash we put out there at the 2nd corner spot now.

So back to the question: Do you think losing Asante or Brady has made a potential bigger difference in losing games in 2008?

How is this even a question.

With a healthy Brady, we've probably lost at most 1 or 2 games.

I'm not sure having Asante would've made a difference of a single game in the W or L column.

The fact of the matter is, our defense was doing just fine until Adalius Thomas went down.

The real question in hindsight to me is if we should've shipped Asante out of town for some picks instead of playing him under the franchise tag. To which I say yes. He hasn't been all that great as it is in Philly, I think if it weren't for all the defensive injuries, and if Wheatley hadn't gone down, we probably wouldn't even notice Asante was gone.

No - Some of you simply don't understand the question

Pass to a simpler thread that you understand better

This has ABSOLUTELY NOTHING to do with Asante's value vs. Brady as a professional NFL player - THAT IS NOT CLOSE OR EVEN A CONVERSATION

This has to do with value loss at THIER RESPECTIVE POSITION THIS YEAR and the replacements THIS YEAR - Not next year or the year after that, THIS year

If you still don't understand the nature of the question I won't waste more time explaining it - Not worth it.

Most of us still aint buying the snake oil you are selling :p

Tom Brady...hands down. With Brady...the Patriots would have had a better chance to win the tougher games vs the elite teams (Colts and Pittsburg) not to mention winning for sure those Cassel's "growing pain" games (Dolphins and Chargers). The only lost I would call a push on was the Jets game.

I know what yah sayin...basically O'neil etc al. couldnt fill Samuel's shoes and Cassel fills in fine for Brady...but common now...get real....

Last edited:
I'd like to see what Samuel would be able to do this year playing with this non-existant pass rush we have. Last year, Samuel was able to do his thing because we were second in the league in sacks. This year, we'd probably be comparing Samuel to Starks.

Not really all that dumb as it appears IMO,Losing Brady sucked big time but the secondary is beyond weak

Ask yourself this...Which is actually weaker RIGHT NOW? - The secondary or QB position? Is Cassel playing better in his role than say O'Neal,L. Sanders or the rookie Wilhite?

Don't get me wrong,I would sell Cassel for a cup of Coffee if Brady were healthy but no one opposite Hobbs is worth an ounce of coffee
But what is NOT in your formula of what this team would be like with Asante getting the LARGE bucks and what rammifications that has..It's a DUMB thread..sorry..

frisbee-fail.jpg

This has ABSOLUTELY NOTHING to do with Asante's value vs. Brady as a professional NFL player - THAT IS NOT CLOSE OR EVEN A CONVERSATION

This has to do with value loss at THIER RESPECTIVE POSITION THIS YEAR and the replacements THIS YEAR - Not next year or the year after that, THIS year

If you still don't understand the nature of the question I won't waste more time explaining it - Not worth it.
I don't want to disrespect you or anyone else on this board, but comparing the relative worth of Brady and Samuel is like comparing the worth of Kevin Garnett and James Posey. The first is a sure-fire HOF who can make a difference in any game by himself and the other is a good clutch player who can contribute significantly to his team's success - but, is not an indispensible cog.

Unfortunately, most of us do understand the question... :eek:

"QB position" is one player. Secondary is multiple players. Thus, you can't compare a loss at the QB position to a loss in the secondary. It's comparing apples to oranges.
That said, the secondary performance is far weaker than the QB performance....but that doesn't mean Asante was a bigger loss.

Guy posing an interesting - albeit slightly off-the-wall & controversial - question that could spark some fun discussion and he's predictably pilloried by the PatsFans.com Thread Police. :rolleyes:

As amazing as it sounds, the dropoff from Samuel to O'Neal at this point is great than the dropoff from Brady to Cassel.

Samuel=9
O'Neal=3

Brady=10
Cassel=7

Now what dropoff hurts the team more (the 6 pt plunge or 3 pt plunge) is an interesting debate, but certainly relative within their positions, the dropoff at CB has been more severe & noticeable as of late.

Brady of course. Not even close. Samuel hasn't done much for the Eagles anyway.

This is such a no-brainer. Tom Brady.

Hes like Larry Bird was. When hes there, anything seems possible.

Asante Samuel?? He was good but I thought he was a little overated when he was here.

You cant compare a CB with the best QB in the NFL.

Let's see our offense went from...

2007: 36.9 points a game (1st in league)
2008: 23.2 points a game (18th in league)

Our pass defense (16th) is actually ranked higher than our offense this season.

YOU GO FROM THE GREATEST OFFENSE IN NFL HISTORY, TO THE 18TH RANKED JUST THIS YEAR. Figure it out.

A perfect illustration of how deceiving statistics can be.

You weren't struck by lightning the minute you hit "submit thread"?

Consider yourself lucky

Tom Fricken Brady baby!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!..
not even close IMHO.

Samuel is really lighting it up down in philly :p

I am going to go with Asante Samuel.

TB is great and all, but his replacement has been doing pretty damn good job. The same can't be said for the secondary particularly with RH out.

Rephrase the question to the following a magic genie gave you the following two options which would you choice:

A) Tom Brady comes back for the Raiders game and rest of the season. (Cassel gets benched, MG gets cut to make room)

or

B) Asante Samuel comes or the Raiders game and rest of the season. (your least favorite DB get cut to make room)

Which would you choose. For me the choice is easy we need more help on defense than QB.

TB is a great QB, but the falloff hasn't been horrible, the same can't be said in our secondary.

I am going to go with Asante Samuel.

TB is great and all, but his replacement has been doing pretty damn good job. The same can't be said for the secondary particularly with RH out.

Rephrase the question to the following a magic genie gave you the following two options which would you choice:

A) Tom Brady comes back for the Raiders game and rest of the season. (Cassel gets benched, MG gets cut to make room)

or

B) Asante Samuel comes or the Raiders game and rest of the season. (your least favorite DB get cut to make room)

Which would you choose. For me the choice is easy we need more help on defense than QB.

TB is a great QB, but the falloff hasn't been horrible, the same can't be said in our secondary.

I choose Brady all day.
Sorry, but Cassel is not close to Mr.Brady yet (yes, he deserves the respect of Mr. Brady) and probably never will be

This is true, but when you talk on a W-L basis, I think it's safe to say that having Brady would likely have us in control of a playoff bye at the least right now in an AFC which isn't nearly as great as it was last year. Probably can't say the same for having Asante, I'd imagine we're still fighting for our playoff lives right now. I doubt we'd go from 18-1 to barely being a WC team solely based on losing a Asante and Adalius for the final half, as good as they are. Also consider the upsides from this offseason - addition of Mayo/Guyton inside and Seymour being the healthiest he's been in years.

In theory, you are right. But when we're talking Tom Brady, it goes far beyond a couple of trade-offs.

Tom Brady. OK, now it's my turn....John Lennon or Boy George - Which one had a greater impact on music?:D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back