PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Asante Samuel has a Belichick Complex

Status
Not open for further replies.
"The only thing I need you guys [the media] for is to help me get into the Hall of Fame," he said. "That's what they tell me." - Samuel

Funny stuff.

I never knew Samuel did comedy on the side.

It wasn't David Tyree. It wasn't Manning Lite. It wasn't even the mind numbing call on 4th and 13. It wasn't the holding on Randy Moss on the last Pats series.

No. It wasn't any of them. The biggest SINGLE REASON why the freaking New York Giants won Super Bowl 42 was that Asante Samuel failed to catch a certain interception that was thrown directly at him.

As a result, I have zero interest in anything this man has to say. Catch the damn ball!

Asante Samuel is in the same category as Grady Little and Ben Dreith: Jerkfaces whose actions directly cost his team -- my team -- certain glory.

Go far away, Asante.

so you are saying samuel is right ? Fluke or no fluke , troy held his own on the spot. Samuel should go to the STL game where he got injured and troy came in and played against the then mike martz leds rams.
In no way or form was troy hidden in the field.
Maybe they should've kept that secondary. They probably would've shut down Manning in '06 and sealed the deal in '07. :rolleyes:

Worst argument ever.

Ty Law in New England, he’s making all these picks,” Samuel said. “Oh, he’s a great corner, this and that. But I all of a sudden go and do it [and it’s], ‘Oh, he’s in a Cover 2 defense, that’s why he isn’t as good and this and that.’ But when Ty Law does it, it’s all gravy.

“Anybody else had those stats, people would be going crazy.”

more from asante

Maybe they should've kept that secondary. They probably would've shut down Manning in '06 and sealed the deal in '07. :rolleyes:

Worst argument ever.

iam not arguing. iam saying i wouldnt assume BB/mangini wouldnt put brown in there if he had a healthy corner and which could cost them the game. I didnt say that secondary was better . BTW that secondary with brown at CB did shut down manning in 05 to 3 points. ;) . Again it wasnt a better secondary but brown certainly played well enough. if samuel was healthy he wouldve played .Iff BB benched him he wouldve had a reason to bench a healthy secondary player.

"The only thing I need you guys [the media] for is to help me get into the Hall of Fame," he said. "That's what they tell me." - Samuel

Funny stuff.

I never knew Samuel did comedy on the side.

Sadly, he's not kidding... He's a loner and had an attitude and a me-centric mindset since the day he was drafted in the 4th.

I think Bill thought he was a good corner and he emerged as a very good ball hawk in this system. But he didn't do it on his own. He was nurtured and developed and surrounded with some decent talent (and the one season there wasn't much talent and the staff was in transition he wasn't worth a bag of golf balls in trade). Hobbs took his job away in 2006 before he suffered a broken wrist, and 'Sante wasn't happy claiming he couldn't play on the right side... He couldn't catch a cold before 2006. And Bill credited the coaching staff in part with that success.

Bill thought he was worth $6M. Reid decided he was worth $9M. Reid is beginning to realize that $9M buys you a an overvalued $6M corner. The honeymoon is over in Philly, the coaching staff is goading him and Reid is talking about what he needs to improve at and the fans are disappointed and with McNabb gone 'Sante is ripe for targeting. So naturally he is lashing out at Bill...

I said it at the time but this won't end pretty.

It wasn't David Tyree. It wasn't Manning Lite. It wasn't even the mind numbing call on 4th and 13. It wasn't the holding on Randy Moss on the last Pats series.

No. It wasn't any of them. The biggest SINGLE REASON why the freaking New York Giants won Super Bowl 42 was that Asante Samuel failed to catch a certain interception that was thrown directly at him.

As a result, I have zero interest in anything this man has to say. Catch the damn ball!

Asante Samuel is in the same category as Grady Little and Ben Dreith: Jerkfaces whose actions directly cost his team -- my team -- certain glory.

Go far away, Asante.

His inexplicable decision to stop covering Tyree was more egregious than his missed interception (which was a lot less easy of a catch than many people remember it). But I agree with your message.

Go far away, Asante.

Last edited:
Why is he even bringing this up; it just makes him look trite and classless. Get over it and move on buddy.

Go far away, Asante.

Like I've said in the past, many people around here have a different interpretation than I do of what's an easy interception. He guy jumped and still was only able to get his fingertips on it.

YouTube - Super Bowl XLII Asante Samuel dropped interception. Buckner?

Like I've said in the past, many people around here have a different interpretation than I do of what's an easy interception. He guy jumped and still was only able to get his fingertips on it.

Just his reaction alone tells you that HE thinks it was a make-able catch.

Put it this way: I've seen countless WRs and DBs catch balls at the top of their jump.

I don't think that was a remotely difficult play. Catching a ball at the top of your jump and with your arms extended above your head is not extraordinary.

Thanks for posting the video and proving our point for us. He was late on the jump. The ball was barely 10' off the turf and he wasn't even at the pinnacle of his leap. He was about a half second late. From a ball thrown from that far away and that off target........ he should have had ample time to react and time his jump. An elite CB makes that pick.

You or I ain't making that play, but then again, we're not claiming we're elite CB in this league. He FUBARed that past and the next one.

Last edited:
No real major story here. One of the many guys who thinks the Patriots not offering him market value was some personal insult. Richard Seymour was still getting emo about being traded almost a year after the fact when he had to go out of his way to say there's no way he was resigning with the Patriots. If I remember correctly Mike Vrabel had some whiny remark about being traded to the Chiefs. We all know Wilfork woulda thrown a temper tantrum about how mean the Patriots are had they not agreed to a new deal.

The one guy who understands it's nothing personal is Moss. He's already said he highly doubts the Patriots will resign him a year from now, but also said that they have their way of doing business and that it's nothing personal. Ironic that the one guy with the bad attitude label his entire career is the guy who isn't a butthurt narcisist.

The one guy who understands it's nothing personal is Moss. He's already said he highly doubts the Patriots will resign him a year from now, but also said that they have their way of doing business and that it's nothing personal. Ironic that the one guy with the bad attitude label his entire career is the guy who isn't a butthurt narcisist.
Wow, great point.

Sadly, he's not kidding... He's a loner and had an attitude and a me-centric mindset since the day he was drafted in the 4th.

I think Bill thought he was a good corner and he emerged as a very good ball hawk in this system. But he didn't do it on his own. He was nurtured and developed and surrounded with some decent talent (and the one season there wasn't much talent and the staff was in transition he wasn't worth a bag of golf balls in trade). Hobbs took his job away in 2006 before he suffered a broken wrist, and 'Sante wasn't happy claiming he couldn't play on the right side... He couldn't catch a cold before 2006. And Bill credited the coaching staff in part with that success.

Bill thought he was worth $6M. Reid decided he was worth $9M. Reid is beginning to realize that $9M buys you a an overvalued $6M corner. The honeymoon is over in Philly, the coaching staff is goading him and Reid is talking about what he needs to improve at and the fans are disappointed and with McNabb gone 'Sante is ripe for targeting. So naturally he is lashing out at Bill...

I said it at the time but this won't end pretty.

Totally agree.

Philly fans can spot a fake a mile away. Samuel always struck me as a soft player.

Oh god why did I watch that, I feel sick now.

I still can't get over how he thinks he is a premier, big time corner and that he deserves the same kind of respect as Deion or something. In that situation a top level, big time corner makes that play every time. He's good, but clearly not top level.

I am sure that if BB wasn't really a fan of him; he would have found a way to ship him out of NE!

Asante is so whiny. Still moaning and groaning about the Patriots, two years removed from even being here.

That said on the SB, I have always defended Samuel [as much as I loathe him] on that play. It was really high over him and yes he may have timed it wrong but it was never the less a very difficult ball to intercept.

The REAL goat was Meriweather. How can anyone blame Asante when the ball hit Meriweather right in the hands?

Last edited:
While I think he should have had the INT (his hands were not positioned for the catch) I'm still more perplexed about why he left David Tyree wide open in the middle of the field. He gave up on the play because it was long developing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/10: News and Notes
Patriots Draft Rumors: Teams Facing ‘Historic’ Price For Club to Trade Down