PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Asante Samuel Appreciation Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

skri65

Rotational Player and Threatening Starter's Job
Reaction score
Too many of you don't like the kid. He's done all that has been asked of him this year, and has 3 INT on the year. Give the kid a break. He's a solid CB, give him credit. He's held this secondary together in terms of turnovers.

agreed. hes improving :) hope he resigns

Definately Hope he resigns.He is doing a very solid job this year.Agreed.WTG Asante..

skri65 said:
Too many of you don't like the kid. He's done all that has been asked of him this year, and has 3 INT on the year. Give the kid a break. He's a solid CB, give him credit. He's held this secondary together in terms of turnovers.

Nice post, and Asante deserves the game ball from the D-side for today's game. He played a hell of a game today. He's not a classic shut-down corner like Bailey or Law of seasons past, but he's made many big plays, many of them against the Jets, since his rookie season.

Always been an Asante fan.

Amazing what a difference a little stickum makes.

I've said to plenty of people that he played very well in the later second half of last season and he has played extremely well so far this year. Makes some nice INT's and he breaks up two deep passes in a row today. Nice job. He got beat once by Davis but too bad Losman sucks.

I liked the int -- but I LOVED the break-up play in the endzone. That was high-class cornerback play. I think that Asante has really stepped up this year and we're lucky to have him (how long for? :( )

Last edited:
Mike the Brit said:
I liked the int -- but I LOVED the break-up play in the endzone. That was high-class cornerback play. I think that Asante has really stepped up this year and we're lucky to have him (how long for? :( )

I don't see him re-signing with the team, word is that he already was approached and wants mo' money.

5 Rings for Brady!! said:
I don't see him re-signing with the team, word is that he already was approached and wants mo' money.

Yes. But, since this is an appreciation thread, let's enjoy him while we've got him. He's starting to play with a lot of confidence.

5 Rings for Brady!! said:

Just a guess but .... if he keeps doing what he's doing and starts to prove he is an elite CB I can see PATs being competitive in FA.
But he has to be consistent.

Mike the Brit said:
Yes. But, since this is an appreciation thread, let's enjoy him while we've got him. He's starting to play with a lot of confidence.

Yeah, I agree. He's no Ty Law but he is a solid DB. It's time to give the guy his due! Will the Pats resign him? It's hard to say but I'm sure that they will see who's in the free agent market and in the draft. But for now, GO ASANTE!!!! (Swahili for Thank You)!

He done good, though I don't remember Hobbs being challenged the same way today. ;) Actually, there was some nice play by all the CBs today, Chad Scott his laying some wood!

Chad Scott really deserves recognition for how he's played all season. He's been terrific out there, and it's clear why BB and Pioli decided to invest their time and a roster spot on him.

NEM said:
Actually, he resembles the way Law plays. Assante waits , decoys, and then cuts in front. Great anticipation.

Hobbs, BTWl, looks awful again. Got beat consistently on those quick inside moves. Hobbs is too small to cover those moves. He is ok as 5th man, but as a corner, he gets beaten too often.

Asssante Samuel on the other hand has great, great anticipation. I can think of several other times he anticipated correctly, moved in front, but narrowly missed the interception. He's a great decoy man, plays off and then goes in for the kill.
I think Asante is the better CB, or definitley the better play maker. But Hobbs can use help when he has a guy. He is 5'8", help him out to bring the guy down. I didnt see anything necesarily bad from the kid.

If our lb's and db's stay healthy. I think we're in for a helluva
ride. I'm sure the wr's and Brady will get better as the year
goes on. I loved Branch and Givens as players. But, it's not like
we had to replace Swann/Stallworth.

Richter said:
Chad Scott really deserves recognition for how he's played all season. He's been terrific out there, and it's clear why BB and Pioli decided to invest their time and a roster spot on him.

I agree, though he seems to be playing more like a safety -- let the guy catch the ball, but make sure he pays ... Well, it could be worse.

NEM said:
Hobbs, BTWl, looks awful again. Got beat consistently on those quick inside moves. Hobbs is too small to cover those moves. He is ok as 5th man, but as a corner, he gets beaten too often.

I didn't see any neccesarily bad plays by Hobbs...

NEM said:
Actually, he resembles the way Law plays. Assante waits , decoys, and then cuts in front. Great anticipation.

Asssante Samuel on the other hand has great, great anticipation. I can think of several other times he anticipated correctly, moved in front, but narrowly missed the interception. He's a great decoy man, plays off and then goes in for the kill.
Now there is an original thought from you - for 6,000th time. Too bad you don't watch the games or the tape, you might learn how wrong you are. Maybe a seeing eye Gila Monster will help.

Law vs Samuel in first 3 yrs were both productive.
Law had more tackles but Samuel had more passes deflected in first 3 years
This difference could be because due to the system being used.
Law had a few more ints but not many more.
Ty had a break out year in year 4 and Samuel if his first 6 games project
out though 16 games .... will also come close to having the production
Law had in his 4th year.

Now they may do it in a different way but the production is there.
Samuel could be one of the leagues best CBs if he stays healthy and
keeps improving. The best thing for his career would be to stay with the
Patriots.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back