PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Asante Reportedly Seeking More than the Pats are Offering

Status
Not open for further replies.
len_mullen said:
The important thing is that we stop talking about the secondary as a weakness and start wringing our hands as if Asante Samuel was the second coming of Ty Law. It's not important how good he is or if he has been made an offer or if he and management are miles apart. The important thing is that we now have something to wring our hands over.

Enjoy Patriot Nation!

What the heck are you talking about? Too much Keegs for you.

len_mullen said:
The important thing is that we stop talking about the secondary as a weakness and start wringing our hands as if Asante Samuel was the second coming of Ty Law. It's not important how good he is or if he has been made an offer or if he and management are miles apart. The important thing is that we now have something to wring our hands over.

Enjoy Patriot Nation!

Yes, nothing like some fresh meat for us to attack!

5 Rings for Brady!! said:
If the price is right. My Translation: He will leave town if the rumor is true because we all know that the price probably won't be right. But any of us that accept this as a likely outcome and are willing to move on will be attacked by some at this messageboard for various percieved 'slights' to the player, or just not 'getting it' about the player.

I could also say fond fairwell to Grambo at this point, because I believe that he is looking for a big payday, but that would only attract more heat from the crowd that still believes after all this time with Bioli that all our players are going to magically return to play here for much less money.

Asante is a really good 4th round pick that wants to be paid like a really good 1st round pick, IMO. I will be surprised if it works out that way with the Pats.

I think this is a fair post, but I still don't understand why people treat Asante as a #1 pick. I hope you are dead wrong about Graham, but there us a good chance you are right.

5 Rings for Brady!! said:
Is he 'serviceable'? Yes. Is he good? Sometimes. Is he our future #1? I hope not.

I don't totally agree with 5 Rings's take on Asante, but the above portion is impossible to argue with. I like Asante. I'd like to see him brought back into the fold. But losing him would be managable, especially if he is asking for a ton of cash.

I GUARANTEE - even more than a guy like Givens, whom I felt similarly about - that Samuel will be a #1 CB precisely nowhere. He could be a decent #2 elsewhere, but most likely would turn into a nickel back. NO WAY do the Pats give him #1 CB money.

patsox23 said:
I don't totally agree with 5 Rings's take on Asante, but the above portion is impossible to argue with. I like Asante. I'd like to see him brought back into the fold. But losing him would be managable, especially if he is asking for a ton of cash.

I GUARANTEE - even more than a guy like Givens, whom I felt similarly about - that Samuel will be a #1 CB precisely nowhere. He could be a decent #2 elsewhere, but most likely would turn into a nickel back. NO WAY do the Pats give him #1 CB money.

If that is true, we would get him back. But I really think that about five desperate teams will line up to proclaim him their #1 of the future. I just can't give several NFL franchises enough credit to see his value accurately.

I think that people may be under the impression that I don't like him or don't want him back. I think that he just is not going to be back. That's entirely different than not liking him. But he still needs to show a whole season's worth of focus and intensity before I give him a free pass.

Digger44 said:
Actually, didnt Chad leave the game with an injury? Henry was out, so TJ was all we had to worry about.

To make matters worse, with Henry, Tab Perry and Reggie McNeal already inactive, Pro Bowl wide receiver Chad Johnson needed help leaving the field after landing on a shoulder laying out for a ball on the sideline in the half’s last minute. He had a bruise, but returned to play in the second half and finished with just six catches for 64 yards.

He apparently missed one minute.

If you don't like Asante, that's fine, but Hobbs was out and the Bengal's have plenty of good receivers.

I don't think he's an all pro, but he's been dependable and works hard. Certainly overplayed what we paid for him so far.

I don't see many 4th round cornerbacks that have contributed as much.

Last edited:
RayClay said:
To make matters worse, with Henry, Tab Perry and Reggie McNeal already inactive, Pro Bowl wide receiver Chad Johnson needed help leaving the field after landing on a shoulder laying out for a ball on the sideline in the half’s last minute. He had a bruise, but returned to play in the second half and finished with just six catches for 64 yards.

He apparently missed one minute.

If you don't like Asante, that's fine, but Hobbs was out and the Bengal's have plenty of good receivers.

I don't think he's an all pro, but he's been dependable and works hard. Certainly overplayed what we paid for him so far.

I don't see many 4th round cornerbacks that have contributed as much.

He apparently bruised his shoulder that he needs to catch balls. I never said that I fo not like Asante. He is a good 4th rounder, just not a 1st worth 1st money. I have seen plenty of 1st rounders do much more, and that is what I want in next years draft. It is very possible that a 1st round rookie could be better than Asante from game 1. If Asante doesnt want our offer, hey, lets find out.

Digger44 said:
He apparently bruised his shoulder that he needs to catch balls. I never said that I fo not like Asante. He is a good 4th rounder, just not a 1st worth 1st money. I have seen plenty of 1st rounders do much more, and that is what I want in next years draft. It is very possible that a 1st round rookie could be better than Asante from game 1. If Asante doesnt want our offer, hey, lets find out.
I agree 100%.
I couldn't have said it better myself.
Right on the spot.

If Asante does indeed spurn the Patriots before negotiations, they need to get proactive quick and bring someone else in. That way, players will get the message. if you turn down the Pats' offers, we'll move on real quick to plan B, so you better know how much you're really worth.

I agree with most here that Asante is not an elite CB -- and never will be. But he is a good football player that's usually around the ball. Evidenced by the fact he led the Pats in passes defensed in '04 and '05...and is the career leader in pass-breakups at Central Florida. No doubt, a DB you want on the field as part of most packages. Just not as a #1 CB whose expected to control his side of the field.

The need for an elite CB is obvious even if Asante remains. I'll await the draft with that hope in mind... :horn:

Digger44 said:
What the heck are you talking about? Too much Keegs for you.
I'm saying, "Who cares." While he's here, I wish him well. If he stays, I wish him well. If he leaves, I trust that BB and SP will replace him with someone who will make the team better -- either because the player is better or because money saved can be spent on other players.

Let's just watch him play football for a couple months.

Re: Asante Seeking more than the Pats are Offering

Strange .. considering that Pats usually offer thier players big bucks come free agency. ; )

Hey, gents, is it time yet to drum up some numbers?

We went thru this drill with David ... then with Leion
... and we've mocked it out for Grahambo.

This has been a fascinating discussion ... which seems to have nothing further to offer
so long as it is confined to anecdotes, truisms, opinions, and generalities.

Quantitatively, what is Asante worth to us ?
What are his comparables (to use realtor-speak)?

flutie2phelan said:
Hey, gents, is it time yet to drum up some numbers?

We went thru this drill with David ... then with Leion
... and we've mocked it out for Grahambo.

This has been a fascinating discussion ... which seems to have nothing further to offer
so long as it is confined to anecdotes, truisms, opinions, and generalities.

Quantitatively, what is Asante worth to us ?
What are his comparables (to use realtor-speak)?

I am not the resident capologist and have never pretended to know much about the numbers side of things, but I'd say that for a guy of Asante's skill level that if it got up near 3 mil a year I'd probably be surprised.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes