PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Asante Reportedly Seeking More than the Pats are Offering

Status
Not open for further replies.
Kdo5 said:
It bothers me. Asante is a really solid player and the play maker in our secondary. I believe you are dead wrong about the INT problems. That was early last year. Ever since late 2005 and so far 2006 he has hands of glue when the ball gets into his hands.

He dropped a sure Int in the Bengals game. It went right through his hands.

Re: Asante Seeking more than the Pats are Offering

Brownfan80 said:
I'm just curious what big payday awaits Samuel. It's the general consensus on this board that he's good-to-solid but not great-to-marquee. I don't think many teams would sign him as their #1 shut down type. And I think if they did they'd have buyers remorse.

I'll go along with that.

I find it diificult to beleive that NFL OC's toss and turn at night worrying how they will attack Samuels side of the field. Good player yes, but if NE nabbed a shut down SB in this draft to replace him it wouldnt bother me a bit.

Where are the players who want less than their team is offering? :confused:

And this is without any one else making an offer?

It's something to talk about, but could we cool it on the drama?

By the way, Koppen wants more than they'll offer and so does Graham.

Basically, every player whose contracts run out,and some who don't wait, (hey Neion), want more than the teams will offer.

As George Costanza says it's negotiation. That's why they have agents.

RayClay said:
Where are the players who want less than their team is offering? :confused:

And this is without any one else making an offer?

It's something to talk about, but could we cool it on the drama?

By the way, Koppen wants more than they'll offer and so does Graham.

Basically, every player whose contracts run out,and some who don't wait, (hey Neion), want more than the teams will offer.

As George Costanza says it's negotiation. That's why they have agents.

I'm not sure what drama is taking place. Just passing on the word of early extension talks and then a discussion about the pros and cons of keeping/not keeping, not paying/over paying a player.

No one is threatening to jump off a roof if Samuel isn't resigned.

:D

Bye, bye Asante! Thanks for the handful of plays you have made as a Patriot. Hope you are more focused for the next team, when you are really being paid a lot of money to be consistent. :rolleyes:

That includes being with the team in the offseason!

Brownfan80 said:
I thought it strange too, but they said it without a hint of hesitation and stated it as though it were fact, not speculation.
Eh, those chumps are always full of themselves with their ****sure attitude regarding everything. I remember Woody Paige saying with neither hesitation nor doubt that Peyton Manning would "win his fair share of Super Bowls." We're still waiting, Woody.

Brownfan80 said:
I'm not sure what drama is taking place. Just passing on the word of early extension talks and then a discussion about the pros and cons of keeping/not keeping, not paying/over paying a player.

No one is threatening to jump off a roof if Samuel isn't resigned.

:D

I'm just saying they don't have any real information.

Nothing wrong with talking about keeping Samuel, just saying I could say the same thing they did without worrying about being wrong.

If the Patriots or Samuels' agents are giving out actual figures, let me know.

Last edited:
Everybody everywhere wants more money.

If he didn't want more money wouldn't that make him an idiot..

and by default that would mean that he is not a Patriot's type of player.

5 Rings for Brady!! said:
Bye, bye Asante! Thanks for the handful of plays you have made as a Patriot. Hope you are more focused for the next team, when you are really being paid a lot of money to be consistent. :rolleyes:

That includes being with the team in the offseason!

Amazing standard that players are held to be called "Patriot type players". I am not sure of the exact criteria but it goes something like this:
-model citizen (unless signed by the Pats and then past reports were out of context, eg. Corey Dillion), take less money to be here (rules out Seymour who wanted to be paid the most for his position), no bad body language (Tom Brady), laugh at all of BB jokes,etc. By this narrow definition we have maybe 2 or 3 guys who are "true Patriots". Unbelievable.

What difference does it make where he works out? He is having a good year this year isn't he? and he looks to be a little bigger, maybe working out in Florida helped him. Doesn't Harrison train in Atlanta, does that make him a bad guy. Un freaking believable. I don't think Samuel is going to Canton but he is the best CB the Pats have and if he is so bad why do BB & SP have him as a starter.

Ok, anger management techniques are being applied, taking my meds, feeling better... no more venting...

Kdo5 said:
I never said he was a great CB. He is poor at times but he also makes plays more than anyone else in the secondary. The first half of last year he struggled badly and he never made plays. All 3 picks came in the second half of last year, plus two in the post season. I havent seen him drop an interception in a while and he will certainly have more then 4 INT's this year.

I am sorry, what plays has Asante made that are memorable besides the recent phins game? Saying he makes more plays than anyone else in our secondary isnt really saying much at all. Right now, I would say that Hawkins is making better plays bringing the middle together. I understand that you may think he is the best of our secondary, but look around that isn't saying very much. I also hate to break the news to you, Mr. Harrison seems close to 100% and is the flying missle again. He is the playmaker. That will make Asante better.

I like Asante, but our two first round picks certainly help make him and anybody else a little more expendable. If we use one of those two 1st rounders at DB, then we will likely match Asante's production for a much cheaper price than what re-singing him will cost. That's essentially been the Pats philosophy all along, so I bet that is what happens.

Dan Koppen is probably the guy I'd most like to see back.

Last edited:
Digger44 said:
I am sorry, what plays has Asante made that are memorable besides the recent phins game? Saying he makes more plays than anyone else in our secondary isnt really saying much at all. Right now, I would say that Hawkins is making better plays bringing the middle together. I understand that you may think he is the best of our secondary, but look around that isn't saying very much. I also hate to break the news to you, Mr. Harrison seems close to 100% and is the flying missle again. He is the playmaker. That will make Asante better.

I think preventing memorable plays is more important than making them for a cornerback.

cstjohn17 said:
Amazing standard that players are held to be called "Patriot type players". I am not sure of the exact criteria but it goes something like this:
-model citizen (unless signed by the Pats and then past reports were out of context, eg. Corey Dillion), take less money to be here (rules out Seymour who wanted to be paid the most for his position), no bad body language (Tom Brady), laugh at all of BB jokes,etc. By this narrow definition we have maybe 2 or 3 guys who are "true Patriots". Unbelievable.

What difference does it make where he works out? He is having a good year this year isn't he? and he looks to be a little bigger, maybe working out in Florida helped him. Doesn't Harrison train in Atlanta, does that make him a bad guy. Un freaking believable. I don't think Samuel is going to Canton but he is the best CB the Pats have and if he is so bad why do BB & SP have him as a starter.

Ok, anger management techniques are being applied, taking my meds, feeling better... no more venting...

He has been really inconsistent, and has only had one good game this year. After sucking hard last year for at least half the season, he wasn't around the team much and so far appears to have had one good game as defined by actually holding onto two of 'Lord Harrington's' passes.

We can, and hopefully will, do better. And Asante will be rich, and hopefully a little more focused, at least from the viewpoint of his new team.

I am done crying about everybody that leaves town for a pay raise, and Asante is barely a blip on the radar, IMO. We can replace him.

Is he 'serviceable'? Yes. Is he good? Sometimes. Is he our future #1? I hope not.

As far as standards I hold a player to, all I care about is 'on the field' production. As far as Harrison working out elsewhere, I think his level of play speaks for itself. Asante doesn't seem half as focused as Rodney, IMO. And I wish him well, I just don't see him as 'critical' to our future. I think he has done pretty well for a fourth round pick and probably is a bit of a stretch to be a #1 CB, which is what he wants to be paid like if you believe the rumor. We'll know soon enough.

Last edited:
RayClay said:
I think preventing memorable plays is more important than making them for a cornerback.

Hmm didnt Asante meet Javon Walker a few weeks ago? Oh wait, they avoided each other, my bad. I sure do remember that one.

Digger44 said:
Hmm didnt Asante meet Javon Walker a few weeks ago? Oh wait, they avoided each other, my bad. I sure do remember that one.

I saw him with inside coverage with a safety behind him, if that was the play you're talking about.

Unfortunately the safety was Sanders.

I think he's done a good job and he cost us a 4. Do I think he's a definite starter? No. Is he a good young starter/backup/nickle? Hell yeah. If the price is right.

I hope we get some help at safety and corner in the upcoming draft. Thanks to our conservative ways, we have the picks and money to do so.

Last edited:
Chad and T.J. say we have nobody that can cover them, so I assume they just fell down a lot.:D

Miami: Chambers 5 catches 29 tds.? I can live with that.

Last edited:
The important thing is that we stop talking about the secondary as a weakness and start wringing our hands as if Asante Samuel was the second coming of Ty Law. It's not important how good he is or if he has been made an offer or if he and management are miles apart. The important thing is that we now have something to wring our hands over.

Enjoy Patriot Nation!

RayClay said:
Chad and T.J. say we have nobody that can cover them, so I assume they just fell down a lot.:D

Miami: Chambers 5 catches 29 tds.? I can live with that.

Actually, didnt Chad leave the game with an injury? Henry was out, so TJ was all we had to worry about.

RayClay said:
I saw him with inside coverage with a safety behind him, if that was the play you're talking about.

Unfortunately the safety was Sanders.

I think he's done a good job and he cost us a 4. Do I think he's a definite starter? No. Is he a good young starter/backup/nickle? Hell yeah. If the price is right.

I hope we get some help at safety and corner in the upcoming draft. Thanks to our conservative ways, we have the picks and money to do so.

If the price is right. My Translation: He will leave town if the rumor is true because we all know that the price probably won't be right. But any of us that accept this as a likely outcome and are willing to move on will be attacked by some at this messageboard for various percieved 'slights' to the player, or just not 'getting it' about the player.

I could also say fond fairwell to Grambo at this point, because I believe that he is looking for a big payday, but that would only attract more heat from the crowd that still believes after all this time with Bioli that all our players are going to magically return to play here for much less money.

Asante is a really good 4th round pick that wants to be paid like a really good 1st round pick, IMO. I will be surprised if it works out that way with the Pats.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye