PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Asante Reportedly Seeking More than the Pats are Offering

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brownfan80

In the Starting Line-Up
Reaction score
I was just at home for lunch and caught a small portion of Cold Pizza where they were talking about football.

They went through a bunch of stuff about other teams and then the question came up as to which end-of-season FA was going to cash in the most. They pointed to Asante Samuel who apparently upped his stock with that 2 INT day against the Dolphins (this was their opinion, not mine).

They went on to say that the Patriots have already made an extension offer to Samuel, but that no progess was made as the sides were far apart as far as his value.

I had not seen anything of this sort mentioned anywhere else, but if true could spell the end of sir Samuel in New England.

Last edited:
Re: Asante Seeking more than the Pats are Offering

Because we all know that Cold Pizza is the best source for accurate inside information on the NE Patriots. :rolleyes:

Oswlek said:
Because we all know that Cold Pizza is the best source for accurate inside information on the NE Patriots. :rolleyes:

It was actually not the normal crew that reported it, but rather this panel of 'football guys' that they had in for the segment.

I claim nothing of the source of the info, I don't watch the show. I just heard it and wondered if anything had been reported anywhere else as far as Asante extension talks go.

EDIT: I Edited the Title to reflect that it is unconfirmed information.

Last edited:

Oswlek said:
Not that it sounds that unreasonable.

I have no problem with having upcoming UFA who feel like they need a good season to set themselves up for a big payday. For this year, it's a win-win. I hope he has such a great season that he can price himself for a monster payday. We'll take the comp pick and move on. I don't like losing guys but it is what it is.

BelichickFan said:
Not that it sounds that unreasonable.

I have no problem with having upcoming UFA who feel like they need a good season to set themselves up for a big payday. For this year, it's a win-win. I hope he has such a great season that he can price himself for a monster payday. We'll take the comp pick and move on. I don't like losing guys but it is what it is.

I'm just curious what big payday awaits Samuel. It's the general consensus on this board that he's good-to-solid but not great-to-marquee. I don't think many teams would sign him as their #1 shut down type. And I think if they did they'd have buyers remorse.

I'm not saying it isn't true, I just find it odd that Cold Pizza is the only place this information is being reported, particularly when you have a handful of reporters in the area that would love to use this as a way to bring up the "cheap" angle again.

"Even though NE has X million in free space that will evaporate if not used this season, they still refuse to use it to improve the team...." Blah, blah, blah.

He is one guy I wouldn't mind see going. If he is asking for too much then he can find it elsewhere. He is very inconsistant in coverage and drops way too many interceptions! If he is re-signed, great! If not, doesn't bother me.

Brownfan80 said:
I'm just curious what big payday awaits Samuel. It's the general consensus on this board that he's good-to-solid but not great-to-marquee. I don't think many teams would sign him as their #1 shut down type. And I think if they did they'd have buyers remorse.
Ask Givens. Tweaking what you said about Samuel for Givens this time last year :

"It's the general consensus on this board that he's good-to-solid but not great-to-marquee. I don't think many teams would sign him as their #1 WR. And I think if they did they'd have buyers remorse."

I agree with you but FA has shown that there's usually 2-3 teams out there who'll pay up.

Oswlek said:
I'm not saying it isn't true, I just find it odd that Cold Pizza is the only place this information is being reported, particularly when you have a handful of reporters in the area that would love to use this as a way to bring up the "cheap" angle again.

"Even though NE has X million in free space that will evaporate if not used this season, they still refuse to use it to improve the team...." Blah, blah, blah.

I thought it strange too, but they said it without a hint of hesitation and stated it as though it were fact, not speculation.

It'll be interesting to see if the local media picks it up and digs at it.

BelichickFan said:
Ask Givens. Tweaking what you said about Samuel for Givens this time last year :

"It's the general consensus on this board that he's good-to-solid but not great-to-marquee. I don't think many teams would sign him as their #1 WR. And I think if they did they'd have buyers remorse."

I agree with you but FA has shown that there's usually 2-3 teams out there who'll pay up.

You'd think they'd learn from signings like Givens, but I guess you have a point there. ;)

Oswlek said:

LOL as if there is truly any such thing...

Hey, the way I look at it I would rather have Asante playing for a contract and willing to risk his future as a result than have signed him coming off that 2005 season only to realize that with less incentive he reverted into his comfort cushion shell. He's a nice player, but we know some things about him now that perhaps we weren't entirely sure of in 2004.

If we re-sign him fine. It will mean BB is happy with his performance and value to the team going forward at a price they were willing to pay. If not he is more than welcome to go try playing on a team who will not have a Rodney Harrison to lean on. And if I were Asante I would tell my agent to focus only on those teams who have one hell of a pass rush lest I find myself on the street exposed as a nice nickel back in year. If BB has to pay through the nose for secondary help he will likely choose to expend those $$$ for greater talent at the position either through FA, the draft or a trade.

So as long as he's here and fulfilling his existing contract I prefer to defer to Belioli on where they see him performing next season.

Shocking news. Average prospect becomes above-average player for the Patriots, signs with other club for more money and returns to average.

Standard operating procedure. Question is, who replaces him and how bad will the growing pains be. I'd gladly take some lumps if we drafted CB in the first round and threw him in there. You know a first round CB taken by Bioli is going to be a stud.

Cold Pizza may be the worst thing ESPN has ever produced. Yes, worse than Steve Phillips playing GM.

The commentary is even more useless because they choose to discuss Asante's value after what will be his best game all year. He isn't on the market now, he's on the market after the season.

Cornerback is one of the most overpriced positions and someone will overpay for him. No way the Pats compete for him on the open market.

Asante Samuel: $5M back-up cornerback for your 2007 Washington Redskins!

TomBrady'sGoat said:
Cold Pizza may be the worst thing ESPN has ever produced. Yes, worse than Steve Phillips playing GM.

The commentary is even more useless because they choose to discuss Asante's value after what will be his best game all year. He isn't on the market now, he's on the market after the season.

Cornerback is one of the most overpriced positions and someone will overpay for him. No way the Pats compete for him on the open market.

Asante Samuel: $5M back-up cornerback for your 2007 Washington Redskins!
Exactly! I have no problem with teams overpaying for FAs. Just as long as they're not the teams I root for.

THEARCHIVES said:
He is one guy I wouldn't mind see going. If he is asking for too much then he can find it elsewhere. He is very inconsistant in coverage and drops way too many interceptions! If he is re-signed, great! If not, doesn't bother me.
It bothers me. Asante is a really solid player and the play maker in our secondary. I believe you are dead wrong about the INT problems. That was early last year. Ever since late 2005 and so far 2006 he has hands of glue when the ball gets into his hands.

Last edited:

BelichickFan said:

You could not be more correct. This post is dead on. I do not expect him to be a Patriot after this season.

We really need to target this position in either FA or the draft. I really want a playmaker on at least one side of the field. I think we could do better than Asante too, if we spend some of that so-called money.

Kdo5 said:
It bothers me. Asante is a really solid player and the play maker in our secondary. I believe you are dead wrong about the INT problems. That was early last year. Ever since late 2005 and so far 2006 he has hands of glue when the ball gets into his hands.

Are we talking about the same guy who only has 3 picks all of last year??? He is an average corner at best and gives up quite a bit. I am not trashing him, and I would like to see him back, but he isnt the player you just wrote about.

Digger44 said:
Are we talking about the same guy who only has 3 picks all of last year??? He is an average corner at best and gives up quite a bit. I am not trashing him, and I would like to see him back, but he isnt the player you just wrote about.
I never said he was a great CB. He is poor at times but he also makes plays more than anyone else in the secondary. The first half of last year he struggled badly and he never made plays. All 3 picks came in the second half of last year, plus two in the post season. I havent seen him drop an interception in a while and he will certainly have more then 4 INT's this year.

Brownfan80 said:

If a team thinks Samuels is an elite shutdown corner they are mistaken but like it or not he is a critical starter on the team, the drop off from Hobbs/Samuels to Scott/Spann is dramatic.

Pros (for re-signing him)
- very good #2 or an average #1
- starting experience on a championship team
- knows system
- has gotten better each year
- except for Nate Clements he is as good or better than the other free agent CBs, http://www.footballsfuture.com/2007/nfl/freeagentsDB.html
(Roc Alexander, RFA, Denver Broncos , Jordan Babineaux, RFA, Seattle , Seahawks , Jason David, RFA, Indianapolis Colts , Randall Gay, RFA, New England Patriots , Nick Harper, UFA, Indianapolis Colts , David Macklin, UFA, Arizona Cardinals , Asante Samuel, UFA, New England Patriots )
- the Pats only have 2 CBs under contract after this year (Hobbs & Scott), if he leaves there are at least 2 spots to fill (Gay and Spann may be exclusive or restricted free agents and could be resigned, neither can be depended on to start)

Cons (reasons not to sign)
- worst hands I have ever seen
- can be inconsistent and exploited against top receivers
- he will get a higher offer from another team and leave
- not a terrible player and can be replaced, not the end of the world

If I were GM for a day....
- try to sign him this year, use some of the 06 cap to make future years managable
- take a CB high in the 07 draft, a CB tandem of Samuels, Hobbs, 1st Rounder Scott, Gay would turn an area of weakness into an area of youth and strength

What will happen (the usual)
- Patriots will lock him up only if they feel he fits into their value structure
- CB is a premium position, most likely he walks as he is worth more to another team

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back