PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

As The Offensive Tackles Move Up

Status
Not open for further replies.

mgteich

PatsFans.com Veteran
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
HOW BAD WOULD IT BE IF WE DIDN"T DRAFT AN OT IN THE FIRST TWO ROUNDS?

There are 5 OT's that seem likely to be drafted by the 35th pick in the draft. It seems likely that they will start to move up as we get closer to the draft. We are in a very reasonable position to draft one of them, even if we might end up overpaying a bit. An opportunity for a solid starting OT doesn't come often.

The open question is our options if we decide not to draft an OT early. Of course, we will draft an OT late, as competition for Maneri and LeVoiir.

OPTION 1
LIGHT at LT
VOLLMER at RT
KACZUR as the veteran gameday backup (1a: sign a veteran like OJINNAKA)
Have MANERI, and a late round rookie try to unseat LeVoir for the #4 OT roster spot.
LIGHT, VOLLMER, KACZUR, MANERI/LEVOIR/ROOKIE

OPTION 2
VOLLMER at LT
KACZUR at RT (2a: sign a mid-level RT; they always seem to be available)
Sign a veteran like OJINNAKA as a game day backup
Have MANERI, and a late round rookie try to unseat LeVoir for the #4 OT roster spot.

MY BOTTOM LINE
1) I favor an OT early.
2) I favor Light being re-signed even more.
3) A lot may depend on the medical reports on Kaczur. If Kaczur in healthy, I see us depending on him as at least a backup. Believing in Kaczur would take the pressure off drafting an OT in the first 35. That doesn't mean that we wouldn't draft an OT if the value was there.

I said it before, and I'll say it, again:

Willie Smith, baby.

Put him to work with Coach Dante, and we've got a potential Walter Jones.

HOW BAD WOULD IT BE IF WE DIDN"T DRAFT AN OT IN THE FIRST TWO ROUNDS?

There are 5 OT's that seem likely to be drafted by the 35th pick in the draft. It seems likely that they will start to move up as we get closer to the draft. We are in a very reasonable position to draft one of them, even if we might end up overpaying a bit. An opportunity for a solid starting OT doesn't come often.

The open question is our options if we decide not to draft an OT early. Of course, we will draft an OT late, as competition for Maneri and LeVoiir.

OPTION 1
LIGHT at LT
VOLLMER at RT
KACZUR as the veteran gameday backup (1a: sign a veteran like OJINNAKA)
LIGHT, VOLLMER, KACZUR, MANERI/LEVOIR/ROOKIE

OPTION 2
VOLLMER at LT
KACZUR at RT (2a: sign a mid-level RT; they always seem to be available)
Sign a veteran like OJINNAKA as a game day backup

MY BOTTOM LINE
1) I favor an OT early.
2) I favor Light being re-signed even more.
3) A lot may depend on the medical reports on Kaczur. If Kaczur in healthy, I see us depending on him as at least a backup. Believing in Kaczur would take the pressure off drafting an OT in the first 35. That doesn't mean that we wouldn't draft an OT if the value was there.

There have always been draft board movers(up & down). As more players start to "move up", all it means is some good talent will drop to 17. Just remember Vince Wilfork draft of 2004.

Many on this board wanted Vernon Carey, Will Smith or trade up for Vilma who were all moving up the board. Wilfork kept dropping & Pats scooped him up at 21 !!

Then again, we laid an egg by picking Ben Watson at 32 when we could've had Karlos Dansby (who I really wanted) and the Cardinals took him at 33with 1st pick of rd #2 :bricks:

I said it before, and I'll say it, again:

Willie Smith, baby.

Put him to work with Coach Dante, and we've got a potential Walter Jones.

Agreed, I'd grab him in the 3rd, and if we trade Mankins that will create even more options.

Right now I'm thinking Light/Vollmer/Kaczur/Maneri (unseating LeVoir)/Big Willie Smith.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Back