Welcome to PatsFans.com

As Teen Girl Awaits Death, Saudi Surge in Beheadings Could Set Record High

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by PatsWSB47, Jul 14, 2007.

1. PatsWSB47

PatsWSB47 Rookie

Ratings:
    +109 / 0 / -1

#12 Jersey

The Saudi's suck. With a public policy like this, it's no wonder how there is little public outrage from middle eastern officials and clerics when terrorist do it.

RIYADH, Saudi Arabia — Rizana Nafeek, a 19-year old housemaid from Sri Lanka, is on death row because the baby in her care died while she was bottle-feeding him. If her appeal is turned down, she will taken to a public square to be publicly beheaded.

The Sri Lankan government says it is working for a reprieve, and has until Monday to file the plea. A last-minute pardon by the infant's parents could also spare her. But if her execution goes ahead, it will be the latest in a surge of beheadings that could surpass the kingdom's record of 191 in 2005.

After dropping to 38 last year, the figure for 2007 is already at least 102, including three women, according to Amnesty International.

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,289317,00.html
  2. Harry Boy

Harry Boy Look Up, It's Amazing PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +328 / 1 / -9

They're Not All Bad

Where The Hell Are The Good Ones

That Muslim They Just Elected In The Senate Called Bush A Nazi The Other Day

Will The Smelly Bastard Have Anything To Say About This?
  3. Patriot_in_NY

Patriot_in_NY Rookie

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -0

Beheadings in the Middle East? Ya don't say...........

SHOCKA
  4. reflexblue

reflexblue PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +20 / 3 / -0

#91 Jersey

This is the kind of medevile culture, and government that Osama,and the Taliband want to enlighten the world with. And they have the nerve to say WE are a scurge,a blight on the world.
    Last edited: Jul 14, 2007
  5. Patters

Patters Moderator Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +160 / 4 / -4

From a moral point of view, I think it would have been easier to justify a war against Saudia Arabia than a war againt Iraq. They are an obscene ally.
  6. PressCoverage

PressCoverage Banned

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -0

chilling...

question: why would one need to train for a year for this "skill?"
  7. reflexblue

Ratings:
    +20 / 3 / -0

#91 Jersey

Who says there REALY an ally? Press Coverage can you enlighten us about our relationship with the Saudies. I know you must have the real info. seriously.
  8. patsfan13

patsfan13 Hall of Fame Poster PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +120 / 7 / -12

I thought you were big on cultural diversity? ;)
  9. reflexblue

Ratings:
    +20 / 3 / -0

#91 Jersey

P.C. has left us. So I'll try to jog someones memory. I remember reading an article last year about the Saudies paying Al Quida off so they would leave the kingdom alone. And that some of the princes [there are alot of them running around] it didn't say which ones were secritly funding Al Quida. Does anyone else remember hearing anything like this?
    Plus I don't think their exactly giveing us a deal on oil,and their makeing a killing no pun intendid..
  10. reflexblue

Ratings:
    +20 / 3 / -0

#91 Jersey

Anyone, Buehler,Ferous Buehler.
  11. PatsFanInVa

PatsFanInVa PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +325 / 6 / -8

Wow. They're up over 100 executions this year you say.

But hold on, does that make them a world leader in executions? Actually, that's a pretty anemic figure (although it would be high in the West, particularly if you accounted for their smallish population.) The entire U.S. had 53 in 2006, which actually was a huge decline over previous years, since peaking in the 90s. The Innocence Project pretty much put the skids on the U.S. execution party, but the per capita incidence is lower than Saudi.

From the numbers, we can conclude that:
    1) The Saudis are barbarians.
    2) Others are more barbarous than the Saudis.
    3) We are less barbarous than the Saudis.
    4) We are more barbarous than the Europeans and Canadians.

...unless, of course, it is the method of execution we are concerned about, the whole lopping off the top bit. Messy, messy, messy. And public at that. But you have to admit, it sounds rather painless unless botched.

By contrast, only a handful of people watch our condemned die, sometimes over the course of 40 minutes. Ours are supposed to be painless unless botched as well.

Of course, I suspect that our shock over the public and messy nature of execution in the Kingdom is something some of us would vigorously defend were they our own practices.

I take it Saudis don't take that long to send you to your death, and proponents of our own death penalty will tell you all about how we have too many appeals in our own system, and it takes too long to kill people. So on the swiftness of the state's judgment, many of us are also in agreement with the Saudis.

However, the trifling nature of some of the crimes worthy of execution are another story entirely. In Saudi Arabia, evidently, everything from bottle-feeding to adultery is treated as we treat capital murder.

Only a few crackpots in this country would ever treat sexual indiscretions as capital crimes.

They would have to be literal readers of texts that urge witch-killing, adulterer-stoning, and gay-killing, who believe these texts were meant to be taken literally by a modern audience or implemented by a modern state.

So it would seem that our most vigorous defense against what we see as medieval barbarity, would derive from keeping such crackpots from infusing our governmental system with medieval ideology.

My thanks, once again, to the late Mr. Jefferson, for seeing so clearly the way to the modern state, when others could not see beyond the next pew.

PFnV
  12. reflexblue

Ratings:
    +20 / 3 / -0

#91 Jersey

I know WE lead the world in executions,but it's the type of offense that you can be executed for,or be dismembered. i.e. lose a hand for stealing.

PFIV A question I've been pondering off and on for over thirty years:If there has to be executions should,or should they not be public.
  13. PatsFanInVa

Ratings:
    +325 / 6 / -8

Not at all, reflex -- we only lead the WEST in executions, the "civilized world" [sic,] whatever you want to call it... I never said (in my rant) that we out-executed the Saudis, really I said the opposite.

PFnV
  14. reflexblue

Ratings:
    +20 / 3 / -0

#91 Jersey

Yes, I didn't consider China.But I doubt that China would be recognized as a civilized country.
  15. Patriot_in_NY

Patriot_in_NY Rookie

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -0

You have to use per capita, not raw numbers since populations vary so much.

China has a 1.3 Billion and the "officially" execute about 1000 or so a year. Per Capita that's 1 in 1.3 M that get's whacked. {of course many suspect up to 8-10x as many unofficial executions but who even counts those anymore :rolleyes: }.

Iran and Egypt have shown they don't really mind culling a few from the herd with rate that range in the 1 for every 1-1.2 million people.

Let's not forget that hotbed of "respect for human life" the Dem. of the Congo with their 1 in 500,000 rate.

And lets not forget us fascist pigs here in the US :rolleyes: . With our 270 M population, we whacked 56 (in 2006) for a per capita of rate of 1 in 4.8 M. Hmmmmm. seems a little low comparatively

So how does Saudi Arabia Saudi Arabia with it's paltry 20 M people rate. Well the article says it's gonna put down 100 or so this year. That's 1 in every 200,000 :eek:

Also, they are the last country to use public beheadings as the primary method.

SOURCE: Amnesty International
  16. sdaniels7114

sdaniels7114 Rookie

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0

Every day seems to bring another reason to hope for the invention of a car that runs on water or garbage or anything but the oil sitting under Saudi Arabia.
  17. PressCoverage

PressCoverage Banned

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -0

sarcasm recognized... of course, no one said they earned the fascist pig label based on our execution rate... :rolleyes:
  18. Patriot_in_NY

Patriot_in_NY Rookie

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -0

Never mind................ amen sdaniels, I agree.
  19. patsfan13

patsfan13 Hall of Fame Poster PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +120 / 7 / -12

Agreed, see the thread about energy (bio diesel) from pond scum, ie algae.
  20. PatsFanInVa

Ratings:
    +325 / 6 / -8

Precisely my point. We lead the West, and lag places like Congo, China, and Saudi Arabia.

Same kind of deal with measures like infant mortality and lifespan -- we look really good comparing outselves to the dictatorships and feudal societies like the above. When we compare ourselves to liberal democracies, like the Brits, French, or Japanese, we don't look good.

PFnV