PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

As of this week, Patriots strengths vs. Dolphins.

Status
Not open for further replies.

JSn

Experienced Starter w/First Big Contract
Reaction score
One big advantage we have over the Aquatic Egotists is special teams.

The Dolphins rank last in kick coverage and second last in punt coverage in the NFL. And not just the week Hobbs set a franchise record, even in a loss, of 237 yards in returns. That number, sadly, also highlights the number of times the Finned Fartknockers kicked off.

Still, Hobbs is the real deal, ranked third in kick returns. Welker and Faulk are both good punt returners and with any luck there will be more punting this week than last week. And this isn't a Dolphin problem that's likely to be rectified this week, considering it has burned them as recently as last Sunday. One issue is probably Sparano's reluctance to use starters on special teams.

For more details on this match-up advantage, check out this article from the Palm Beach Post:
Special not so

We also, amazingly have the edge in rushing plays in many categories. Check this out:

Big rushing plays (10+ Yards)
Pats: #6
Fish: #13

Rushing first downs
Pats: #3 (90)
Fish: #9 (69)

Stuffed runs
Pats: 31 (17 times)
Fish: 13 (27 times)

They have us beat in rushing TD's and rush yards on 1st and 10, but neither by huge margins.

I expect to us attack with balance, but to likely see the big plays come on special teams and in the air this time. You can bet your mom on the fact that coverage guys are going to be careful with how much Cassel is spreading the ball around now. That Gaffney drop sucked, but it will still have the effect of keeping defenses honest because it wasn't Matt overthrowing, it was a drop by a usually solid WR. The Moss overthrow has the same effect. I firmly believe that was a timing route and though the throw was a bit long, Moss could have accelerated to it if he'd not stumbled. And as Madden says, "better to throw a long incompletion than a short interception".

We have numerous receiving threats and that game against the Jets, particularly the stellar execution of the two minute offense, should open up the run game. Still, I anticipate it will be a mechanism of ball control and gaining first-downs more-so than trying to hit home-runs.

I hope to be doing some analysis throughout the day and hope to post some other match-up advantages as the day wears on. If you have anything that's a provable match-up advantage, let me know.

Mainly: Time to squish the fish!

Last edited:
you would think with the STs struggles last week that this unit would come out with a chip on their shoulder too. They are much better than they showed last week. I think this could be the week we see a punt return TD from Welker. He has shown some nifty moves in the last season and half but has not had a huge one break yet....he is due.

the pats will stuff the fins running game, and that will allow us to slow them down b/c theyll have to go to the passing game

on the other hand, i dont think cassel will have a bad game like brady normally does in miami...different QB, different offense, different team

in the end we dominate the line, and hence win comfortably by 10 pts at least

(and we only get burned by the wildcat 2 of 7 times, for about 30 yds each time...nothing as bad as last time)

we also get an interception off of a wildcat rb throw

you would think with the STs struggles last week that this unit would come out with a chip on their shoulder too. They are much better than they showed last week. I think this could be the week we see a punt return TD from Welker. He has shown some nifty moves in the last season and half but has not had a huge one break yet....he is due.

He's due for sure but it's scary too. (Injury Paranoia :cool:)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back