PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

As of right now, who is a better WR on our team and is ahead of Wes Welker?

Status
Not open for further replies.

PATRIOTS-80

2nd Team Getting Their First Start
Reaction score
He's 3rd down conversion machine that keeps drives alive. High energy. Returns punts and kickoffs. Come on. I would die to have Welker in the AFC championship game.

Sure CJ may have the higher ceiling, but as of right now, I say Wes is the best WR on our team right now.

Last edited:
Re: As of right now, who is a better WR on our team and is ahead than Wes Welker?

He's 3rd down conversion machine that keeps drives alive. High energy. Returns punts and kickoffs. Come on. I would die to have Welker in the AFC championship game.

Sure CJ may have the higher ceiling, but as of right now, I say Wes is the best WR on our team right now.

Don't sleep on Gaffney. I'm excited to see him for a full season.

But Welker will be a fan favorite from the time he first puts on the uniform.

Regardless, we're already a better team in all three phases and we haven't even drafted yet.

Reche Caldwell will still be #1 on our depth chart.

That's what I'm assuming. Welker's coming into play the slot. And he's going to be nasty at it.

Gaffney & Jackson - when he gets healthy - will compete for 3rd on the depth chart. And I wouldn't be surprised if we see all 4 of them on the field at once at times, when McD, BB and TB decide to spread them out.

And don't underestimate the value of the experience Caldwell and Gaffney now have with Brady.

Bottom line, our receiving corps next season is going to be pretty good.

Last edited:
Reche exceeded my expectations of him. Though I was dissapointed with a huge drop in the AFCCG. We'll see if Jabar will continue his playoff dominance. Welker could be better than both. It'll be interesting to see how all 3 compare to each other next year.

Gaffney and Caldwell are the top two WRs right now. This is only because Welker will spend a lot of his time working on ST. If he got to play every down he could very well be the #1.

Bam Childress

Welker definitely becomes the top guy, followed by Gaffney, and then Caldwell. I'm hoping the Pats add somebody else so that we can bump Caldwell down to #4.

No one.

We just acquired the best punt returner in the AFC and a young, productive WR.

Better than anything we are guaranteed to get in the 2nd round, and if this trade allows us to sign him at a below market deal, it's a great move.

What about Troy Brown??

the guy they are going to draft in the first round....Bowe? Meachem?

I'm excited about Gaffney potential. I think Reche will be steady......... I think Welker will be MORE then productive.

Does Welker remind anyone else of Wayne Chrebet???? {with even more potential}

Caldwell is #1, Gaffney a close #2, Welker #3 slot receiver.

This could all change depending on Chad Jackson waking up.

I see the Patriots trading for Wes Welker and talking of acquiring Stallworth or R. Moss as signaling two things:

1) They don't expect Chad Jackson to play a significant role next year

2) They desperately wanted to bump somebody out of the starting lineup, and my guess is that it is RECHE CALDWELL.

I don't know about better, but I'd agree that's the depth chart as of now, based on positional strengths.

I think the Pats will use Welker a bunch as a flanker in their one receiver sets they like to dabble with. Brown saw action there this year and he's not much bigger than Welker. So Welker won't always work from the slot.

No one.

We just acquired the best punt returner in the AFC and a young, productive WR.

With due respect to Welker who is certainly a solid PR who will fill that role nicely, let's get real - he's not close to the best PR in the AFC.

Jabbar Gaffney

Jabbar Gaffney

I'm not talking about a depth chart, because I think WR should line up at different spots to gain match-up advantages. I'm talking about production... I believe Wes is the best.

The nice thing about Welker is that he is signed for 5 years.

Gaffney and Caldwell are only signed thru 2007.

No kidding. We just traded for someone who will be one of the better #3 receivers in the league (though he might be pushed to #4 when Chad returns).

I don't think we're really going to have any set depth chart, per se - I think that different WRs will be on the field for different situations.

A Caldwell-Welker-Gaffney combo on 3rd downs.

Gaffney-Jackson on running plays.

Caldwell-Jackson-Welker on the deep bomb.

And so on. I think that leaves us with a fantastic situation on our hands: the ability to use WRs situationally should be key to keeping a drive going.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/10: News and Notes