PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

As it looks right now, The draft for the Patriots must be near perfect

Status
Not open for further replies.

PATRIOT64

In the Starting Line-Up
Reaction score
I think with the lack of FA Linebackers in the 3-4 and not a large selection of Corners either, the success of the 2008 Patriots will have to go via the draft where I think BB and Pioli will have little room for making mistakes in thier choices of rookies to pick from and I think at least 2 of thier selections on defense must become good pros and pretty fast for the defense to overcome what it appears to be some big losses outside of the front 3.

If this team is to remain elite for the next several years I think the draft for the next 3 years becomes crucial as I don't see or expect any blockbuster deal or trade from some other teams all pros and besides NE does not have 40 million to work with and it looks to be quite a challenge for the FO to keep this team from falling backwards.

I am excited to see what the team scouts and then FO think is going to be the best players in 2008 and hope they make the right judgements in April because to me there is an ever growing thin line between the Elite team they are now and a mediocre one if the majority of the picks in the draft in the next 3 years don't work out.

The defining time for the near future of this team and its competitiveness does not come in FA this year IMO,Its in April,to me there is not any real guys in FA that would make a huge difference if they are signed unless you count the guys that we cannot afford.

The best teams like the Patriots and Colts have built success through the draft more than anything and this year is more crucial then ever IMO because FA talent in the market is less then ever.

Any major mistakes in picking players in this years draft can be devastating which makes the moves in April maybe the biggest in the BB era.

Its time to see what the team can do to turn 2/3 of the defense into a super one,I myself think its more than intriguing not knowing what they are thinking and the hill it appears they must climb to overcome the losses and age of the outer D (DB/ILB).

Last edited:
Re: As it looks right now,The draft for the Patriots must be near perfect

:nono:
I think with the lack of FA Linebackers in the 3-4 and not a large selection of Corners either, the success of the 2008 Patriots will have to go via the draft where I think BB and Pioli will have little room for making mistakes in thier choices of rookies to pick from and I think at least 2 of thier selections on defense must become good pros and pretty fast for the defense to overcome what it appears to be some big losses outside of the front 3.

If this team is to remain elite for the next several years I think the draft for the next 3 years becomes crucial as I don't see or expect any blockbuster deal or trade from some other teams all pros and besides NE does not have 40 million to work with and it looks to be quite a challenge for the FO to keep this team from falling backwards.

I am excited to see what the team scouts and then FO think is going to be the best players in 2008 and hope they make the right judgements in April because to me there is an ever growing thin line between the Elite team they are now and a mediocre one if the majority of the picks in the draft in the next 3 years don't work out.

The defining time for the near future of this team and its competitiveness does not come in FA this year IMO,Its in April,to me there is not any real guys in FA that would make a huge difference if they are signed unless you count the guys that we cannot afford.

The best teams like the Patriots and Colts have built success through the draft more than anything and this year is more crucial then ever IMO because FA talent in the market is less then ever.

Any major mistakes in picking players in this years draft can be devastating which makes the moves in April maybe the biggest in the BB era.

Its time to see what the team can do to turn 2/3 of the defense into a super one,I myself think its more than intriguing not knowing what they are thinking and the hill it appears they must climb to overcome the losses and age of the outer D (DB/ILB).

panic button

There is a severe lack of rationality on this board.

:nono:

panic button

I am not panicing but the fact remains its a concern unless you are a stupid pathetic brainless homie who think the team is fine right now other than 5 proven defensive players but even most of them are 30+.

All our good LBs are over 30 and no real star talent after them
Hobbs is the only corner left with any ability and there is a big hole there as well

That means the defense needs to be revamped and its going to be via the draft -PERIOD!!!

There is no other way to look at it - It is what it is and rookies are going to be more important than ever to this defense.

Looking at the situation any other way outside of the front 3 is ridiculous or I don't see something you might see.

Just a minor critique: If you go back and read this again, you'll realize that you repeated the same basic opinion/thought about 6 times. You just used slightly different wording to continually repeat the same point.

Free agency has barely started, there is a long time to go before anyone should start worrying. Are there some holes that need to be filled? Yes, but its not like training camp is next week. BB and SP will make their moves, be patient.

I am not panicing but the fact remains its a concern unless you are a stupid pathetic brainless homie who think the team is fine right now other than 5 proven defensive players but even most of them are 30+.

Hobbs is the only corner left with any ability and there is a big hole there as well

That means the defense needs to be revamped and its going to be via the draft -PERIOD!!!

There is no other way to look at it - It is what it is and rookies are going to be more important than ever to this defense.

Looking at the situation any other way outside of the front 3 is ridiculous or I don't see something you might see.

You seriously think they are going to need a near perfect draft? What you see now is not what you get. Suddenly people are loving Hobbs because Asante and other db's are gone.

The first rounder will be a starter by the end of the season.

Sure the offense won't be high powered but we don't need them to be. It needs to be built for cold weather for the playoffs. Same with the defense.

I'm sure the Pats will add some veteran depth on this team by the end of free agency, plus Colvin is still out there and may be in July also.

Ty Law, Lito Sheppard is out there. So is Randall Gay who could provide depth.

We'll be fine. We won't see 16-0, but that might be a good thing

Just a minor critique: If you go back and read this again, you'll realize that you repeated the same basic opinion/thought about 6 times. You just used slightly different wording to continually repeat the same point.

You know, you shouldn't critique other people when there's so much wrong with your own posts. First of all, its way too short. Second of all, its not long enough. Third, by not emphasizing your points, your post is less memorable. Fourth, you didn't reiterate your own points. I really have no recollection of what you're talking about. Finally, your post lacks a sense of urgency and density. I can remember what the OP was talking about because he sounded desperate and it took me a long time to read it. As for you I can't... I mean, uh... I forgot, what did you say again?

Last edited:

If your point is that the FA talent pool is weak, doesn't that BENEFIT the Pats if they resign their guys? If they were the second best team last year, and no one is significantly improving themselves during FA, doesn't that mean that the draft is just as important, if not more important, to all the other teams?

You know, you shouldn't critique other people when there's so much wrong with your own posts. First of all, its way too short. Second of all, its not long enough. Third, by not emphasizing your points, your post is less memorable. Fourth, you didn't reiterate your own points. I really have no recollection of what you're talking about. Finally, your post lacks a sense of urgency and density. I can remember what the OP was talking about because he sounded desperate and it took me a long time to read it. As for you I can't... I mean, uh... I forgot, what did you say again?

the injustices of the world:rolleyes::enranged:

Classic! Thanks for the first real laugh of the day.

you could say this every year...

If your point is that the FA talent pool is weak, doesn't that BENEFIT the Pats if they resign their guys? If they were the second best team last year, and no one is significantly improving themselves during FA, doesn't that mean that the draft is just as important, if not more important, to all the other teams?

And the "best" team isn't exactly surging ahead either. . . . :rolleyes:

Seriously, this reminds me of when CHFF first devised their "Fillability Index" and looked only at what teams did in the draft, completely ignoring free agency.

The Patriots in 1996 had a very good football team which lost to Green Bay
in the Superbowl game. Following that game Bill Parcell resigned and the
Bobby Greer/Pete Carroll era began. In the three years that followed, the
Pats regressed quite badly. When Bill Belichick took over in 2000, the
Pats were considered by the experts to have the worst roster in the
NFL.
Much of the reason was Greer's lousy drafts. Greer/Carroll had good
veterans and in many instances drafted players simply to back up veterans.
Players were drafted in the 2nd round (Tony Simmons, Rod Rutledge) who
were in reality late round picks. When the Patriots started to lose their
veteran players due to free agency and retirement, these players were
dismal failures as starters.
Two of nine draft choices made the Pats roster this year. If this was
a continuing trend, I think the Pats would end up in trouble. There
would not be enough salary cap money to cover all the free agent
losses with veteran players.

Last edited:

Yes, you are panicing. You just aren't bright enough to realize it.

Blah blah blah blah

WOW. Nothing like talking out your arse and not recognizing reality. The only reason that 2 of 9 made the team was because it was a crappy draft and the Patriots didn't have that many (if any) holes to fill. But god forbid you actually realize that.

You are a hack who just likes to complain about how many picks didn't make the team when you don't even realize that most weren't going to make the team anyways becuase of how deep the team was. Not only that, when pressed as to who you would have drafted instead and who they would have replaced on the team, you sit there and sputter without actually providing anything noteworthy. Hell, you even have the benefit of hindsight, yet you sit there anb just whine. Either stfu or actually step to the plate and tell everyone who you would have taken and who they would have replaced on the Pats roster last year.

The Patriots in 1996 had a very good football team which lost to Green Bay
in the Superbowl game. Following that game Bill Parcell resigned and the
Bobby Greer/Pete Carroll era began. In the three years that followed, the
Pats regressed quite badly. When Bill Belichick took over in 2000, the
Pats were considered by the experts to have the worst roster in the
NFL.

Much of the reason was Greer's lousy drafts. Greer/Carroll had good
veterans and in many instances drafted players simply to back up veterans.
Players were drafted in the 2nd round (Tony Simmons, Rod Rutledge) who
were in reality late round picks. When the Patriots started to lose their
veteran players due to free agency and retirement, these players were
dismal failures as starters.
Jeez, I thought they went 8-8 that year. Let revisionist history rule! You do know that we won the Super Bowl 2 years later? Starters that BB / Pioli drafted were Brady, Light, Seymour....

Jeez, I thought they went 8-8 that year. Let revisionist history rule! You do know that we won the Super Bowl 2 years later? Starters that BB / Pioli drafted were Brady, Light, Seymour....

Actually, according to a panel of experts convened by USA Today either in 2000 or 2001, the Patriots were unanimously considered the team least likely to make the Super Bowl in the next five years.

Yup, the Pats can't screw around with this draft. They have a lot of holes.

Tiring at the end of the AFC Champ game in 06 and SB 42 shows that this team's defense lacks a lot of things, and depth is a big one.

I'm beginning to think that the Patriots continue with their (low)risk-(high)reward approach. ...

I think they bring in more veteran help at both CB and LB, in particular, CB Lito Shepherd and LB Jason Taylor. I think they trade down once to Philly for Shepherd, then again to Miami at the top of round two for Jason Taylor.

With those positions filled, now the Patriots can continue with their current belief that the game has shifted to Offense. Therefore, their top two picks are WR Devin Thomas, replacing Stallworth, and TE Kellen Davis, replacing Kyle Brady. In fact, I'll go one step further and say the TE is picked first. :eek:

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes