PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

As a Pats fan, I can honestly say...

Status
Not open for further replies.

mojocaster.com

Third String But Playing on Special Teams
Reaction score
... the following :)

1. The early exit out of the playoffs is a reminder of how fortunate we have been since winning that first SB against the Rams. Not many fans have the team that they fully expect to see win every game, every week. We do, and for that I am extremely thankful. I don't think this is the end of the ride, but even if it were, it's been a hell of a ride.

2. Losing Welker was huge. It doesn't explain the loss to the Ravens, and I am not trying to pretend that it does. Just making a simple statement of how much that man has come to mean for this team.

3. Leadership: it wins football games. When you lose guys like Vrabel, Bruschi, Harrison, and to an extent Seymour, you absolutely MUST have some guys pick the torch up and continue to carry on those leadership responsibilities. When that doesn't happen, it's the fault of the remaining veterans, the coaching staff and/or the new guys coming in. But you can't win without it. Not consistently, anyway.

4. What a game Kevin Faulk had, and how fortunate we've been to have had him on this team for so long. Not the tallest, not the strongest, not the fastest, but certainly one of the most reliable options, from safety valve responsibilities to things like blitz pickups. I don't know how many years he has left in the tank, but to me he is every bit as worthy of the love and admiration that was expressed towards Bruschi when he retired.

5. Tom Brady: I can't wait for next year. He was clearly not playing at the top of his game. I suppose that coming back to the league after that knee injury is a huge hindrance, to say nothing of the injuries with which he played. But I foresee an angry and recovered Brady next year, and that's a beautiful thing - if you're a Pats fan, that is ;)

6. Have we seen the end of Matt Light as a Pat? Time will tell.

7. Vince Wilfork... 13 tackles. Wow. That's a whole lot of man right there, I hope the Pats find a way to re-sign him

8. We need to give Mayo another stud LB to play next to him, either via the draft or free agency or the trade.

9. Many free agents for this team this year, who will be re-signed and who won't will be an interesting process to follow.

10. There's no way of knowing how we will play next year, whether the team will go to the playoffs, the SB or what not. But either way, I look forward to it.

In closing, congrats to the Ravens. That was smash mouth football the way it should be played. And yes, it hurts to have to write that :)

Good post dude. Especially with all the crap being dumped here the last 18 hours.

Congrats to the Ravens is right. Like Dallas and the Jets, they won with a power running game and a smash mouth defense, and (relatively) mistake free play on offense. Nice formula.

I think the Ravens have a good shot against Indy next week. They almost beat the Colts earlier this season (at home) and they are playing much better than they were then. They have the kind of defensive pressure to get in Manning's face, and have often frustrated him in the past, and the kind of power running game to smash it down the Colts' throat. I'd love to see them pull off the upset.

Great post, mojocaster. If this site had more people posting rational thoughts like you it would be better off.

I remember thinking to myself after I walked out of the Superdome after the SB loss to Green Bay: "All I want is 1 Superbowl and I will be happy!" The Pats gave us fans 3 SB titles and I am forever grateful for that.

The problem with that though, is the "burden of expectation". Now as fans we expect the success to continue. As Rodney said, "the 3 time championship team is gone". After yesterday, I agree. We need some new Rodney harrison type signings to get the team back to promised land!

A five star thread. Nice to see someone making sense.

Thanks guys. Not trying to sugar coat what at the end of the day was a debable of epic proportions, but trying to be level-headed about it and understand why we can be so angry about it.

Anger is about exageration or hyper-focus on one thing. It is therefore easy to not see the rest of the picture while angry. So while the anger in this case was legitimate - any fan hates to see their team not show up, especially in the playoffs - it shouldn't overshadow some of the positives that were also part and parcel of this past season.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Back