Welcome to PatsFans.com

Arturo "Thunder" Gatti found dead in his hotel room

Discussion in 'The PatsFans.com Pub' started by Real World, Jul 12, 2009.

1. Real World

Real World Moderator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +539 / 6 / -2

I'm not a huge boxing fan, but this guy was someone I always watched fight. His fights with Irish Mickey Ward were some of the best I've ever seen. What a shame to die so young. Gatti was a guy who never had the hand speed, size, or strength of his peers, but he had the chin, and heart, of a warrior. RIP Arturo Gatti.

Boxer Arturo Gatti found dead

By O’Ryan Johnson
    Sunday, July 12, 2009 - Added 11h ago

Former boxing champion Arturo Gatti, whose trilogy with Lowell’s Micky Ward ranks among the greatest 30 rounds in the sport’s history, was found dead yesterday in a blood-splattered Brazilian hotel room where he was vacationing with his wife and son.

Ward, who fought three classic battles with Gatti between May 2002 and June 2003, was shocked at news that his 140-pound rival was dead.

“I can’t believe it. I don’t know what to say. It’s just a shame. I’m in shock,” Ward said. “I was his trainer for the last fight of his career. We were fighters. We were close friends outside the ring. Inside is another story. I don’t know what to say.”

Although there are conflicting reports regarding the cause of Gatti’s death, police said the former junior welterweight champ was found unconscious in a room inside his hotel suite. He was bloody and had suffered a wound to the back of his head.

Boxer Arturo Gatti found dead - BostonHerald.com

2. efin98

efin98 Experienced Starter w/First Big Contract

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

I really hope this isn't murder...would hate for something like that to happen in boxing.

The sport needs more guys like him. He was one hell of a fighter and one you could gravitate to in awe easily if you've never seen the sport.

3. Michael

Michael Moderator Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +15 / 0 / -0

#12 Jersey

Nobody had him in the death pool.

4. Scouse Patriot

Scouse Patriot 2nd Team Getting Their First Start

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0

My first thought was all those wars might have took it's toll but then details started to come out about police detaining his mrs and him being strangled with a wound in the back of his head......sad stuff.

The guy was a warrior and in his prime you knew you were going to be in a war if you were fighting Gatti.

Last edited: Jul 12, 2009
  5. IcyPatriot

IcyPatriot ------------- PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +1,073 / 9 / -19

#87 Jersey

The latest trend in sports figures with dangerous women ...

Men will be sleeping with a toothpick in one eye from now on.