PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Artrell Hawkins..the real deal?

Status
Not open for further replies.

skri65

Rotational Player and Threatening Starter's Job
Reaction score
Can he provide the stability we need in the secondary. Given, he's no rodney, but can he limit the big plays and show veteran leadership? More so than stone?

I'd say from what I've seen...yes.

He's getting better each time I see him play. He'll never be the hitter or tackler that Rodney is, but his speed and coverage are better than Rodney's. It also looks like he's not blowing many assignments either. Stone has at least 1 lapse per game. I think Hawkins has helped stabilize a bad mess bad there. With two more games to go before the playoffs, I'm hoping he continues to improve while not breaking down like most of the others before him did.

Virtual Rodney

skri65 said:
Can he provide the stability we need in the secondary. Given, he's no rodney, but can he limit the big plays and show veteran leadership? More so than stone?

Two complemantary players Stone on runs and Hawk on passes, melding to make a situation sub, and a virtual Rodney!

I"d rate our SS's coverage ability more important than his run support. We have shown we can already stop the run. We have too much inexperience in our secondary, and if Hawkins coverage is good enough to not give up the big play and good enough to maybe force an incompletion or two each game, I'd be a very happy man. Similalry, we'd all be very happy fans.

Last edited:
SS in coverage?

skri65 said:
I"d rate our SS's coverage ability more important than his run support. We have shown we can already stop the run. We have too much inexperience in our secondary, and if Hawkins coverage is good enough to not give up the big play and good enough to maybe force an incompletion or two each game, I'd be a very happy man. Similalry, we'd all be very happy fans.
IMHO BB likes his SSs to be hitters.
but that's with a secondary that plays the way BB's scheme is supposed to work.
with hank poteat and ellis hobbs out there at CB, it seems to me the SS has to be used more in coverage.
but yeah, i really want hawkins to succeed. we need him bad.
looks like he was well thought of everywhere he's been -- he certainly spent time on the field. wonder what happened?
wonder if corey put in a word?

Ochmed Jones said:
He's getting better each time I see him play. He'll never be the hitter or tackler that Rodney is, but his speed and coverage are better than Rodney's. It also looks like he's not blowing many assignments either. Stone has at least 1 lapse per game. I think Hawkins has helped stabilize a bad mess bad there. With two more games to go before the playoffs, I'm hoping he continues to improve while not breaking down like most of the others before him did.
A quibble, I'd say Stone stabilized it and Hawkins has begun the upgrade, but spot on analysis.

Am I right in seeing Stone more on ST, Hawkins more in the backfield and Sanders edging out Stone for snaps?

Box_O_Rocks said:
A quibble, I'd say Stone stabilized it and Hawkins has begun the upgrade, but spot on analysis.
Agreed, and while at first I thought Stone had an edge in run-support, I'm not so sure anymore. Not that I think Stone regressed, rather the Hawk has either progressed or I underestimated him because of the size.

Last edited:
Flying Fungi said:
Am I right in seeing Stone more on ST, Hawkins more in the backfield and Sanders edging out Stone for snaps?

You're right. I like both guys.

Flying Fungi said:
Hawkins speed and playing experience has him beating out Stone at SS, he apparently is learning the defense easily and has done well the past two games at SS. Stone had to go back in against KC when Hawkins started, but Stone seems to be the number two SS now. Sanders may be fine next year, but for now he's the dime S and STs.

Box_O_Rocks said:
Hawkins speed and playing experience has him beating out Stone at SS, he apparently is learning the defense easily and has done well the past two games at SS. Stone had to go back in against KC when Hawkins started, but Stone seems to be the number two SS now. Sanders may be fine next year, but for now he's the dime S and STs.

Spot on. Stone has the desire and the physical metrics but has yet to learn to apply them to the position. Too Bad. Unless we get a pick that enables us to grab a really talented kid, I like The Hawk and The Rock in '06 better than drafting guys like we've done the last couple seasons.

Last edited:
he's no Rodeny Harrison...................nut he seems to be helping out alot since the time we lost Harrison

Box_O_Rocks said:

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought Sanders started last week vs. TB??

Think about the 2006 secondary...

CB: G@y, Samuel, Hawkins, Hobbs

S: Harrison (being very optimistic here), Sanders, Stone, Scott, Wilson

That's a good group, and except for Rodney, they're all young guys too.

tombonneau said:
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought Sanders started last week vs. TB??
Only as a Faux graphic.

oldrover said:

I wouldn't mind adding Ty Law into that mix.....

Hawkins has done the best at SS of the Rodney replacements, IMO. What I'd really like to see, since they are on the same side of the field, is he and Samuel jell together to the point Assante trusts he'll be there deep for him so he'll play closer to his man on shorter routes. Assante now is backing off the WR pre snap to be sure he's not beaten deep.

PatsSteve1 said:
Hawkins has done the best at SS of the Rodney replacements, IMO. What I'd really like to see, since they are on the same side of the field, is he and Samuel jell together to the point Assante trusts he'll be there deep for him so he'll play closer to his man on shorter routes. Assante now is backing off the WR pre snap to be sure he's not beaten deep.

Samuel has been doing that virtually all year. I wonder if he's been told to play loose or if he's just doing that for fear of the long ball himself...

oldrover said:

Uhhhh...let's not get carried away here. Those guys are playing pretty well, but adding some DBs has got to be a priority in the offseason either through the draft or in free-agency.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/10: News and Notes
Patriots Draft Rumors: Teams Facing ‘Historic’ Price For Club to Trade Down