PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Artificial crowd noise at Indy? (MERGED)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Crowdnoisegate

(1) Club-Controlled Sound: The home club does not have the prerogative to decide if such sound hampers signal calling.While spontaneous crowd noises may be beyond immediate control, noise of any kind (music, horns, gongs, drums, etc.) that is under club control must cease when the play clock (40 or 25 second) is running and the visiting team is in possession of the ball. Flagrant attempts by cheerleaders, mascots or the public-address system to encourage crowd noise for the purpose of disrupting the visiting team's offense while the play clock is running is prohibited. The use of noise meters or such messages as "Noise!," "Let's hear it!," "Raise the Roof," "Let's go Crazy," "Pump it up," "12th Man" are prohibited at any time during the game. These examples are not limited to the foregoing, but also would include similar messages that encourage crowds to make random noise in order to disrupt the opposition. The prohibitions specified in this section also apply during kicking plays.

Exception: Any conventional cheerleader or mascot actions or the use of the scoreboard or message board for acceptable cheers such as "Defense!" and "Push 'em back!" must be stopped when the huddle breaks and/or the offensive team moves to the line of scrimmage.

(4) Field-Level Speakers: The number of field-level speakers must be limited to a maximum of four. They must be placed between the goal lines and the 20-yard lines, and be pointed away from the bench area and the playing field. All sound from such speakers must cease when play clock starts for the visiting team's possession.

http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/seahawks/2003266386_hawkchart20web.html

Can anyone who went to the game confirm this? Anyone have access to the radio broadcast?

Last edited:
So, is there not one among us who was actually at the game who would care to shout out (pun intended)?

you mean besides the Krafts who complained to NFL security?

MOD'S - Are there a few more threads on this topic? Not sure if you want to warp it all as one. Thanks!

I don’t know if this was the case why was not the announcers voice screwed up to? It should be looked into, because it would be a "sad day in the NFL" if St. Dungy was exposed as a hypocrite.

Oh, the irony would be downright delicious!

It's not as if these are new allegations. I know I know, it's all just paranoid Patriots fans. :rolleyes:

Re: About the crowd noise...

It isn't reverb. That's an entirely different thing. It's feedback.

They did hear it. It couldn't have been missed. Find some recordings of games and listen to when the ref calls his explanation of a penalty. Sometimes the stadium engineer tries to turn him up too loud. You will hear a type of feedback that is similar to what you heard tonight. A sucky sound system will also be susceptable to feedback before a current "state of the art" system will. I can explain why if you're interested.

Have you listened to the WBCN and Colts radio feeds?

I'd love for this to be true, but i don't hear that on the radio feeds.

The crowd noise goes down dramatically when Moss makes the catch but...It's because there's no sense shouting to upset Brady anymore and the crowd is disappointed when...Moss makes the catch.

Listen to the radio feeds, they're in the other thread.

Last edited:
Thanks for all the insight Frezo.

Based on the articles I've read, clearly Kraft heard it live.

Are you sure? The owners suite ar enclosed in Indy. They probably had the TVs turned up in the suites.

The competition committee has decided that because of the emotional pain of this allegation, the Pats forfeited 1st round pick will go to the Colts.

End of investigation.

Believe me, no one wants this to be true more than me. But here is a thought, what if CBS "pipes in" crowd noise to give the home audience a feeling of "being there?" Say they do it on a separate channel from the announcers and it was their CD that "skipped" so to speak.

Is this plausible? If so, you'd think CBS would step up and say so.

J D Sal

Last edited:
I think it is all a conspiracy by the Pats. I think they had someone stand next to one of the sideline mics and keep playing the audio until it was picked up enough to be heard on the broadcast. That way they could get back at the rest of the league through the Colts. Prove me wrong.

I don't really feel this way but it could happen.

http://www.newsday.com/sports/football/ny-sppats1106,0,7199775.story

Colts cleared of cheating against Patriots....

....."CBS has informed us that the unusual audio moment heard by fans during the Patriots-Colts game was the result of tape feedback in the CBS production truck and was isolated to the CBS broadcast," NFL vice president Greg Aiello tells us. "It was in no way related to any sound within the stadium and could not be heard in the stadium."

Oops.

Re: About the crowd noise...

I'd love for this to be true, but i don't hear that on the radio feeds.
I can hear it on the BCN clip, it's much more mixed in, but i can definately hear what sounds like a diesel idling mixed in with the crowd noise.

Which makes sense, i don't think they use those dish antennas aimed at the crowd (and PA speakers) so it would be much less obvious.

The radio broadcasts have mics that are only for crowd noise as well. The mics the broadcasters are using don't pick up the sound of the crowd and if they didn't have crowd mics as well, it would sound like they were calling the game from somebody's basement.

Not a good point.

Vic hates all things Colts and takes every chance he can get to take a shot at the Colts. He writes something nearly every week on the Colts and he covers the Jags.

I was and I truly did not hear anything like what was on the TV broadcast.

Look, they piped the **** in, pure and simple. You can deflect it, deny it, whatever, it doesn't change the fact that what happened Sunday was a skip on an audio track of crowd noise.

Also, interesting that Dungy and Tom Moore (and one other assistant) used to work with Denny Green in Minnesota. Today Green's son said his father had crowd noise piped in at the Metro Dome. I guess we can see where "Saint Tony" got the idea from.

Thanks for all the insight Frezo.

Based on the articles I've read, clearly Kraft heard it live.

Where the **ck did all the threads on this topic go? Too many posts today & technical issues? Let us kow.:mad:

An Equitable Resolution

I'm a live audio engineer. This was NOT a broadcast thing. This is my perception of what happened. I posted this on the Pat's group on Usenet. This is a cut and paste.

The Colts have microphones placed in locations around
the stadium. They are probably somewhere in the domed
ceiling. They would be directional shotgun mics and aimed
at the crowd. They would be best aimed at the top half of
the seating so as not to pick up any field noise. When the
opposing team is on offense and before the play starts when
the QB is calling signals, the house, (Colt's), engineer turns
up these mics and feeds them through the stadium's sound
system. This is much better than pre-recorded crowd noise
because it is a perfect audible match to the environment and
there are no recordings of crowd noise to get busted with.

What happened tonight was the engineer turned up the mics
too much. This caused the mics to pick up the sound eminating
from the stadiums sound system, (the amplified crowd noise),
as well as the natural crowd noise. The result is a feedback loop.
As this loop continues to cycle through the mics and speakers
oscillation occurs. This was described as the skipping sound.
At this point the feedback is full bandwidth. This means that all of
the frequencies being reproduced by the system were present
in the loop. If you listen carefully to the recording you will hear
a midrange frequency starting to become predominant. It sounded
like something between 600hz and 800hz was starting to take off.
At this point the engineer became aware of his error and shut off
the mics. That was the abrupt drop in volume that is also on the
recording on the PFT site.

If this was an accident with one of the ref's mics, field noise would
have been pumped through the system such as player's voices. So
I don't think that this a possibility anymore.

I'm practically positive that the Colts were up to no good. Any
audio engineer with a half of brain will recognize that sound.
That includes the multitude of engineers on NFL payroll. I doubt
anything will come of it. It would be a massive scandal for the
league's pretty boy team and a member of the CC. We'll see what
Goodell is made of now. He'd have to have the stadium physically
inspected and chances are that the mics are removed after any
games. What is good is that Goodell and others will now be listening
more intently and this may be enough to make Polian back off and
stop using them. IMO the Colts are cheaters.

Give us their first round pick
and we'll call it even.

No, no fines necessary. This is just
a misunderstanding among gentlemen.

agreed, nothing will be done about this. there's no way to prove that it happened like capturing a video camera on the sidelines. We'd have to ask the NFL to send a guy up to the dj booth during the game.

Re: More Polian shenanigans -- artificial crowd noise?

Posted on another site and got this response

True? False?

What he said was true, but it's not like a CD skipping, and anyone with a clue knows this. It's more of a chopping sound like you'd get from feedback.

From 2005:

"The NFL has reacted to reports in the Post-Gazette and others about the Colts pumping up artificial crowd noise in their dome. Commissioner Paul Tagliabue sent a memo this week to each team warning that if caught artificially raising the volume of crowd noise they could be heavily fined and be subject to losing draft choices."

The league will bury this but at least dolts trolls can sound like hypocrites every time they try to talk about fair play. Not that it will stop any of them. :bricks:

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes