PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

ARTICLE: The demise of the Patriots and the NBA's San Antonio Spurs twin dynasties

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: ARTICLE: The demise of the Patriots and the NBA's San Antonio Spurs twin dynastie

A few smart moves in the offseason and this team is kicking ass again. A few dumb moves in the offseason and the window comes closer to closing. It all depends on what happens in both free agency and on draft day.

Exactly. To say it's over now is premature.

Re: ARTICLE: The demise of the Patriots and the NBA's San Antonio Spurs twin dynastie

Several Patriots media personalities like Reiss have stated that its clear that the Patriots will NOT go nutso in the FA market,Not to mention that a good portion of the better players will not be available due to RFA under 6 year situations.

Reiss has said its more than likely the team is to dwell on keeping thier money players under long time contracts like Brady,Wilfork,Mankins,Gostkowski,Faulk ect: and Reiss has said that as long as these guys are locked up and the Pats go with a good amount of picks in the draft its a good offseason.

If you expect this team to pick up players like Kampman,Peppers and all kinds of 'FA goodies' out there you will probably be wrong.

I myself expect the team to look at FA as they always have by picking up some veteran players who may still have value such as a Jason Taylor or Deion Branch who will help but not cost a fortune to sign - I am hoping we do not go nuts and overboard for the senior citizen players again though.

Surely, because Reiss said it it's true.

I never said they'll go nuts. But it wouldn't surprise me to go after a guy like Dumervil, someone to improve the front 7. I will chop my hand off if BB doesn't make some changes picking up guys, he'd be forefeiting next season before it would even begin if he didn't.

Last edited:

Surely, because Reiss said it it's true.

I never said they'll go nuts. But it wouldn't surprise me to go after a guy like Dumervil, someone to improve the front 7. I will chop my hand off if BB doesn't make some changes picking up guys, he'd be forefeiting next season before it would even begin if he didn't.

No one is saying he will stand Pat (no pun intended) but I find it hard to believe he goes crazy for high priced playmakers like Dumervil should be.

2007 was the exception,not usually the rule in NE,BB usually looks for value more than flash in a player,He will find value and a guy that comes without a BIG salary - He already learned from the Adalius Thomas fiasco that what appears to be worth the money,sometimes isn't.

Last edited:

No one is saying he will stand Pat (no pun intended) but I find it hard to believe he goes crazy for high priced playmakers like Dumervil should be.

2007 was the exception,not usually the rule in NE,BB usually looks for value more than flash in a player,He will find value and a guy that comes without a BIG salary - He already learned from the Adalius Thomas fiasco that what appears to be worth the money,sometimes isn't.

1. Name me 1 playmaker on Pats Defense that opposing O feared ?
2. Finishing 10-6 was lucky this year considering they have NO running game and 3/5 RB's are over 32yrs ! Suffice to say the oppsing D focused on stopping Moss, contain Welker, and that's game-set-match since TE are not utilized....did they even thow a go pattern to Watson all year to create mismatch vs LB ?
3. Coaching.....pathetic D coaching(playing not to lose mentality), and HS level O gameplans

Pats will not be attracting any top echelon FA's. Would Dumervile or DeMarcus Ware come to Pats to play coverage LB ? Gimme a break, if Pats wanted Adalius to play coverage LB why did they even bother signing him ? Their are plenty of Tier 2 LB's they could've signed to play that position.

The Demise of the Spurs and Patriots Twin Dynasties | How To Watch Sports

Extremely interesting comparisons between the two teams over the past decade and now both falling down the ladder a bit.

Whats even more strange is that this season,the Spurs have failed to win a big game on the road....sound familiar?

I read some of it ... but i kept throwing up in my mouth.

Can't wait for the draft ... these articles and threads are a chore to read now.

1. Name me 1 playmaker on Pats Defense that opposing O feared ?
2. Finishing 10-6 was lucky this year considering they have NO running game and 3/5 RB's are over 32yrs ! Suffice to say the oppsing D focused on stopping Moss, contain Welker, and that's game-set-match since TE are not utilized....did they even thow a go pattern to Watson all year to create mismatch vs LB ?
3. Coaching.....pathetic D coaching(playing not to lose mentality), and HS level O gameplans

Pats will not be attracting any top echelon FA's. Would Dumervile or DeMarcus Ware come to Pats to play coverage LB ? Gimme a break, if Pats wanted Adalius to play coverage LB why did they even bother signing him ? Their are plenty of Tier 2 LB's they could've signed to play that position.

Uhhh when have the Pats had a defensive player that was "feared"?

Seriously, where is all this idiotic "analysis" coming from?

I don't agree that the Patriots' dynasty is totally and utterly dead, but it's fair to say right now they're just another good AFC team rather than being one that is universally feared. The nucleus that made up that SB winning era of Patriots teams is gone. Troy Brown, Tedy Bruschi, Mike Vrabel, Rodney Harrison, Richard Seymour, Willie McGinest, Adam Vinatieri, Ted Johnson, Ty Law, Deion Branch, Asante Samuel... that whole foundation is gone. That is a lot of experience, a lot of leadership, that is gone. I don't know how many more times I can say the word "gone", but yeah.

Right now the core of the team (at least arbitrarily) consists of Tom Brady, Kevin Faulk, Wes Welker, Randy Moss, Matt Light, Logan Mankins, Dan Koppen, Vince Wilfork, Ty Warren, and in the early goings, Jerod Mayo and Brandon Meriweather. But it doesn't have the same overall depth as the aforementioned core.

I don't agree that the Patriots' dynasty is totally and utterly dead, but it's fair to say right now they're just another good AFC team rather than being one that is universally feared. The nucleus that made up that SB winning era of Patriots teams is gone. Troy Brown, Tedy Bruschi, Mike Vrabel, Rodney Harrison, Richard Seymour, Willie McGinest, Adam Vinatieri, Ted Johnson, Ty Law, Deion Branch, Asante Samuel... that whole foundation is gone. That is a lot of experience, a lot of leadership, that is gone. I don't know how many more times I can say the word "gone", but yeah.

Right now the core of the team (at least arbitrarily) consists of Tom Brady, Kevin Faulk, Wes Welker, Randy Moss, Matt Light, Logan Mankins, Dan Koppen, Vince Wilfork, Ty Warren, and in the early goings, Jerod Mayo and Brandon Meriweather. But it doesn't have the same overall depth as the aforementioned core.

The team wasn't 'universally feared' until after 04, and they haven't won since...

I'd like to think Vince Wilfork is feared.

I think "feared" is a silly term in professional sports. Most athletes don't fear other athletes, but there are those who need to be gameplanned against just on their own. For example, if opposing coaches want to run against the Pats, they HAVE to account for Vince. Does that mean they fear him? No, it just means he justifies extra consideration in the gameplan.

Same thing with any other player. The Pats go into a game against Indy, they're not shaking in their boots over Dwight Freeney. "Oh no! What are we going to do!?" They're saying, "If we dont' account for him, he can do some damage."

On this team, I think Wilfork and Warren are those players. Mayo could be when healthy, and Meriweather has the potential if he continues to improve and gains some consistency.

I think "feared" is a silly term in professional sports.

I don't think so. WR's get "aligator arms" when they fear a big hit from a safety. So, yeah, I'd say that some player do fear other players.

I don't think so. WR's get "aligator arms" when they fear a big hit from a safety. So, yeah, I'd say that some player do fear other players.

I'm thinking more in terms of the game itself. That's more a product of an individual fearing contact and injury, not them worrying about the play.

The team wasn't 'universally feared' until after 04, and they haven't won since...

I think they were feared in the midst of their second consecutive 14-2 season. Many people forget the Patriots were favored to beat the 15-1 Steelers in the AFCCG at Heinz Field.

I think they were feared in the midst of their second consecutive 14-2 season. Many people forget the Patriots were favored to beat the 15-1 Steelers in the AFCCG at Heinz Field.

Feared by whom? Not a single playoff team "feared" them. Fearing a team only means media-ball-wash. The team wasn't fully respected until at least halfway through the 04 season. So we had half a year and 1 SB of "fear"/ballwash.

That doesn't mean anything. 2007 was the best team we've fielded.

Being feared is BS. Teams respected the hell out of them and knew that they had to play almost mistake-free football to beat them. Time and time again teams made mental errors and the Pats won and the opposing team always said, 'We're better than them.'

Doesn't sound like fear to me.

Last edited:

re: emoney_33 and robertweathers

I can definitely agree to that about the 2007 team

re: emoney_33 and robertweathers

I can definitely agree to that about the 2007 team

In my own personal opinion, the only team that can be introduced into the conversation as "being feared" is the 1985 Chicago Bears. Even then I'm not sure I can make a iron-clad argument.

Yea you didn't hear players say that they were better then the 07 Pats after they lost.

Last edited:

A few smart moves in the offseason and this team is kicking ass again. A few dumb moves in the offseason and the window comes closer to closing. It all depends on what happens in both free agency and on draft day.
The only smart moves I want to see in FA are signing Wilfork, Mankins, Bodden and Gostkowski to long term deals.

After that everybody else we need is available in the draft, they have plenty of big picks and its worth the gamble. There is a good young base on this team with some veterans, I think its the way to continue now.

Lining up as an OL against guys like LBs like Lawrence Taylor and Mike Singletary and DL like Deacon Jones in the old days drew big eyes and scared looks from the guys lined up against them,I don't think its the same anymore.

Intensity in eyes and desire to maim by just a giving the offense a scary 'look',seems to have dwindled over the decades,Players now don't fear others IMO.

The only smart moves I want to see in FA are signing Wilfork, Mankins, Bodden and Gostkowski to long term deals.

After that everybody else we need is available in the draft, they have plenty of big picks and its worth the gamble. There is a good young base on this team with some veterans, I think its the way to continue now.

I wouldn't mind seeing a veteran WR added through free agency and possibly and ILB. But yes, the Pats should take care of their own first.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back