PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Article stating why it makes more sense to be the #4 seed

Status
Not open for further replies.
These ideas belong on a Colts forum not ours....:cool:

I hope they don't start playing scare (intentionally losing). "We" need to start regaining the momenum going into the playoff. Remember the giants? they didn't have a good record but they went on a run late last year.

These ideas belong on a Colts forum not ours....:cool:

Despite the fact that Belichick has done it twice now? Unless I missed something I don't believe that he was the coach of the Colts at that point in time.

IND/HOU does indeed seem better than PIT/DEN, doesn't it? There is certainly at the very least a debate about it, and that's why I posted the link to the article. Some will agree with one way, some will agree with another. In the end the only person who's decision will mean anything will be coach Belichick's.

FWIW--I doubt he does it, but I can almost guarantee that he gives it some thought.

Last edited:
I hope they don't start playing scare (intentionally losing).

In the unlikelihood that the decision is made is won't be because "they are playing scared."

It would be to give themselves a better shot at getting to the SB by deciding their own matchup(s).

Well, I wouldn't worry about it. I don't think Belichick is going to read an unpersuasive article and base his strategy on a statistical anomaly with zero practical value.

It has nothing to do with any article. He has actually chosen to do it twice now in the past, and I would bet money that it didn't have anything to do with any articles.

If only the Colts had read this article about the #3 seed curse hogwash, we would have another Super Bowl trophy!

Do not fall for these superstitious random factoids that say merely spit off past results and make no logical argument as to why that result is more likely in the future.

No one is basing any reasoning on the fact that the #3 seed hasn't won as much as the #4 seed. That would be ridiculous.

The debate/reasoning is to give yourself 2 benefits:

#1. You give yourself your own bye week in week #17. Considering the fact that we are decimated to the fullest degree with many injuries, mostly nagging, it isn't the worst of ideas to allow some players to heal and rest.

#2. IND/HOU may give them a better shot of getting to the Super Bowl than playing PIT/DEN.

As I've said several times now, I don't think that Belichick does it again, but there are pros and cons to the idea, and I would think that he is smart enough to consider all of the angles to the equation.

There is still an outside chance of getting the bye. Denver could lose to Cleveland this week and if the Pats beat JAX, then this whole point is moot. I am ofcourse hoping for that, then the Pats control their destiny again and play lights out against the dolphins.

I agree, long shot but you never know... the Browns have been getting better, and would go ape 5hit on the donkeys just for screw their playoff seeding up.

A Manning pick here, a fumble there, a Trent Richardson 30-yard run into the end zone, a final FG in the final seconds, Browns win, and we get the #2 seed back. :singing:

Long shot, but so is winning the Power Ball.... and people have won that one too... ;)

I agree, long shot but you never know... the Browns have been getting better, and would go ape 5hit on the donkeys just for screw their playoff seeding up.

A Manning pick here, a fumble there, a Trent Richardson 30-yard run into the end zone, a final FG in the final seconds, Browns win, and we get the #2 seed back. :singing:

That's why they play the games, right?

Anything can certainly happen, including injuries and freak plays/turnovers.

The odds are not good at all, but everyone will agree that anything can happen for sure.

It is also the main reason why he probably will play to win the remaining 2 games despite better matchups and rest.

As I've said several times now, I don't think that Belichick does it again, but there are pros and cons to the idea, and I would think that he is smart enough to consider all of the angles to the equation.

The only problem is the two teams we have left to play: Jags and Miami.... it would be very hard to explain how the Pats had laid an egg against either one. It's one thing to lose to the Niners, but when you drop and egg against 2 of the 5hittiest teams in the league, people will start questioning your effort, and knowing how much the Pats are unpopular in this league as it is, the 'rigged game' theories will be just be a matter of time.

People will say the Pats had cheated their way into the divisional round.

There is still an outside chance of getting the bye. Denver could lose to Cleveland this week and if the Pats beat JAX, then this whole point is moot. I am ofcourse hoping for that, then the Pats control their destiny again and play lights out against the dolphins.

Agree, and playing against the Dolphins defense again would be a good tuneup for the playoffs.

..wait...what's that???...you mean I missed out on that date with the gorgeous supermodel???...ahh, well...screw it...she was a needy biatch anyway...and I'm really beginning to like my hermaphrodite....

Practice hard, focus, play to win...anywhere...THAT is a champion pedigree...you start playing to lose, guess what...you end up a loser

The only problem is the two teams we have left to play: Jags and Miami.... it would be very hard to explain how the Pats had laid an egg against either one. It's one thing to lose to the Niners, but when you drop and egg against 2 of the 5hittiest teams in the league, people will start questioning your effort, and knowing how much the Pats are unpopular in this league as it is, the 'rigged game' theories will be just be a matter of time.

People will say the Pats had cheated their way into the divisional round.

The idea was just to rest the starters in week #17, not to lose BOTH games. That would never, ever happen.

practice hard, focus, play to win...anywhere...that is a champion pedigree...you start playing to lose, guess what...you end up a loser

amen.......

The idea was just to rest the starters in week #17, not to lose BOTH games. That would never, ever happen.

Even one loss against either one of these circus teams, would raise the stench...

Practice hard, focus, play to win...anywhere...THAT is a champion pedigree...you start playing to lose, guess what...you end up a loser

you end up fired!

78602047_crop_650x440.jpg

Despite the fact that Belichick has done it twice now? Unless I missed something I don't believe that he was the coach of the Colts at that point in time.

IND/HOU does indeed seem better than PIT/DEN, doesn't it? There is certainly at the very least a debate about it, and that's why I posted the link to the article. Some will agree with one way, some will agree with another. In the end the only person who's decision will mean anything will be coach Belichick's.

FWIW--I doubt he does it, but I can almost guarantee that he gives it some thought.

I don't remember that you'll have to refresh my memory Supa, it's slipping. Either way I wish we wouldn't do that, even though we lost the SB in 2007 to me that's the gold standard approach for a season. Play to win every game.

Exactly, and had it not been for the greatest comeback in AFCCG history from a 21-3 deficit, we'd probably be the SB champs again.

I certainly wouldn't put it past him to give this a strong thought if/when the time comes next week.

Or if the refs didn't screw them over bad. Caldwell getting mugged in the endzone by Hayden on 3rd down has to be the worse no call PI in NFL history.

Last edited:
Or if the refs didn't screw them over bad. Caldwell getting mugged in the endzone by Hayden on 3rd down has to be the worse no call PI in NFL history.

Or Ellis Hobbs receiving a letter from the NFL apologizing for the incorrect DPI call(s).

That is even worse in my opinion.

Why is everyone so afraid of Manning? 90% of this board spends 90% of their time advocating for Brady's advantage over Peyton and Belichick's long history of stumping the sub-500 playoff winning QB.

They need to go in there and kick their @ss. In the wildcard game., the divisional or the AFCCG who cares. Deferring that matchup is a sign of weakness.Denver isn't a better team today.

I don't remember that you'll have to refresh my memory Supa, it's slipping. Either way I wish we wouldn't do that, even though we lost the SB in 2007 to me that's the gold standard approach for a season. Play to win every game.

Well there was the 2005 season that the article refers to, where Flutie had the dropkick, and there was also the 2009 season that some posters feel was the same scenario, although there is not enough proof as the 2005 scenario where it was more obvious.

In the 2009 game he did mention that the seeding wasn't important enough to play the starters through the whole game.

Why is everyone so afraid of Manning? 90% of this board spends 90% of their time advocating for Brady's advantage over Peyton and Belichick's long history of stumping the sub-500 playoff winning QB.

They need to go in there and kick their @ss. In the wildcard game., the divisional or the AFCCG who cares. Deferring that matchup is a sign of weakness.Denver isn't a better team today.

There are a couple of thoughts to the Manning situation.

One is that the Patriots do not do well at Mile High stadium historically. I think that both Brady and Belichick's records are pretty bleak vs the Broncos as a whole. There is also the fact that we'd have to beat Manning twice this season, thus giving him a rematch. While history has favored the Pats beating Manning both times in the past, there is a debate to how the odds fall going 2-0 yet again.

The other is that Manning has progressed throughout the season and has gotten his team to play much better on both sides of the ball.

I think you make a great point by bringing up the fact that they shouldn't be afraid of them, or anyone for that matter; however it could certainly be debated that there are some pros to trying to pick the better matchups and resting the starters for a week.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey