Welcome to PatsFans.com

Article on the Original Marshall Tucker Band - Rock & Roll HOF petition

Discussion in 'The PatsFans.com Pub' started by IndyKen, Jul 23, 2006.

1. IndyKen

IndyKen Third String But Playing on Special Teams

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0

Good article on a great, innovative, but perhaps somewhat overlooked, Southern Rock band that had very good songwriting and a very distinctive sound:

Your name could help the Marshall Tucker Band get inducted into the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame

DUDLEY BROWN, Staff Writer
    Published July 21, 2006

http://imgsrv.goupstate.com/apps/pbc...R&Profile=1028
    Photo: Les Duggins Sr.
    Visit http://www.originalmarshalltucker.com to "Induct the band that appealed to everyone from hippies and hillbillies to U.S. presidents."
    __________________________________________________ ________________________________

Bruce Wall says the Marshall Tucker Band wrote the soundtrack to his life. When he celebrated good times, he listened to their song "24 Hours at a Time." If he went through a breakup, he'd listen to "Heard It in a Love Song."
    The band, which was formed in Spartanburg, was one of his favorites while growing up in Arkansas. Today, the band remains one of his favorites and that's why he's trying to get the band inducted into the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame.
    "I watched (Lynyrd) Skynyrd go through eight years of not making it in, and I said, 'I'm not going to sit and wait for you guys to get in. I'm going to do something about it," said Wall, who creates Web sites for Southern rock groups.
    Wall, who lives in Nashville, has become close friends with former Marshall Tucker Band guitarist George McCorkle, and he recently started a Web site dedicated to the original members of the Marshall Tucker Band, http://www.originalmarshalltucker.com. The site features a link that allows folks to sign a petition urging the band's induction into the hall.

The band even has the support of former President Jimmy Carter, whose statement is featured on the Web site. The band campaigned for Carter and played at one of his inauguration celebrations."He was right on board," Wall said.

The Marshall Tucker Band was formed in Spartanburg in 1972. They rehearsed in an old store where they came across a tag for a blind piano tuner named Marshall Tucker. The band was trying to come up with a name one evening and decided to use Tucker's.
    The band still tours, but only one original member, Doug Gray, performs. The original band recorded 14 albums between 1973 and 1983. McCorkle said the band deserves to be inducted into the Hall of Fame. "I think we worked hard enough and had as much success as some of the people in (the Hall of Fame)," McCorkle said. McCorkle, who lives outside of Nashville, writes songs and performs individually and with a couple of bands. He said induction into the Hall of Fame would be nice for his career, but he mainly would like to see it happen for other band members.
    "If anything, I'd like to see it for Toy and Tommy (Caldwell)," McCorkle said. The Caldwell brothers were considered the backbone of the band and both died young. Tommy died in a car accident in 1980 just weeks after Toy's younger brother, Tim, died in a car accident. Toy died in 1993 from heart failure.
    McCorkle said Toy wrote the songs for the band's first four records and all four of the records were gold.
    "That deserves an honor," McCorkle said. "I don't care who you are."
    According to the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame and Museum's Web site, artists are eligible for induction 25 years after the release of their first record. Artists' inductions are based on their influence and significant contributions to the development and perpetuation of rock 'n' roll.

The Marshall Tucker Band was one of the South's first rock bands following the Allman Brothers Band. The band is credited with combining elements of rock, country, blues and jazz in their music. The band traveled with the Allman Brothers Band, which was inducted in 1995.
    "I think it may just be that we've been overlooked," said McCorkle about why the band hasn't been inducted. "The Allman Brothers were strong and Skynyrd just got in (in 2006) and they opened for us for years."
    Jerry Eubanks, another Marshall Tucker Band member, also would like a spot in the Hall of Fame. He recently stumbled across Wall's petition and signed it.
    "I've always thought we were a successful unknown band," said Eubanks, who added that the band often sold out big venues, even though radio stations didn't always pick up their music. Eubanks and Paul Riddle, another former band member, live in Spartanburg.

Southern rock writer Marley Brant wrote this of the boys: The original Marshall Tucker Band was more than just a band; it was a total musical experience. “Can't You See", "Fire on the Mountain", "Heard It in a Love Song" and countless others of our favorite MTB songs remain important to the history of rock and roll. The Tucker band had soul. From their unique approach – how many other rock bands regurly employed a flute and stellar guitar players who picked with their thumbs – to their memorable lyrics and engaging melodies, the boys of the Marshall Tucker Band were born to entertain. And entertain us they did, through both exciting concerts back in the day, and continued rotation on radio and our individual music devices. More so than the Velvet Underground, Talking Heads, and the Sex Pistols, the Marshall Tucker Band matters. Why the hell aren’t they in the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame yet? Let’s try and fix that, y’all. The MTB deserves our efforts. They rock....Marley Brant

Wall said petition drives led to the induction of Lynyrd Skynyrd and Bob Seeger. He hopes it'll work for the Marshall Tucker Band, too.
    "Once the public and press pick up on it, it makes them more aware of their shortcomings," Wall said.
    Dudley Brown can be reached at 562-7212 or dudley.brown@shj.com.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------