Article on Maroney by Mike Reiss...

Status
Not open for further replies.

DarrylS

PatsFans.com Supporter
PatsFans.com Supporter
2019 Weekly Picks Winner
Reaction score
From this AM's Globe, good article by Mike Reiss on Maroney.. what I like is the attitude of Kevin Faulk and Dillon, not sure is all NFL lockerrooms that this would be happening.

http://www.boston.com/sports/footba...006/10/04/maroneys_dreams_a_solid_foundation/

FOXBOROUGH -- The rookie running back arrived in town with a decorated résumé and the desire to fulfill a longtime dream.

Laurence Maroney remembers saying it as early as his elementary school years. One day, if everything unfolded as he hoped, he would buy his mother her dream house.

He saw how his mom, a single parent, worked seven days a week, yet still found time to drive him to practices, and hardly ever missed a game. He might not have had name-brand clothes, but that was secondary to the love and support he received from his mother, Terri Terrell.

So Maroney dreamed big, and modeled his approach after what he witnessed each day in St. Louis.

``Seeing her gave me more motivation to work that much harder," said the 21-year-old running back, who is coming off a dazzling 15-carry, 125-yard, two-touchdown performance in the Patriots' 38-13 victory at Cincinnati Sunday. ``I felt like my mother was putting in all that effort, so the least I could do is repay the favor by putting in my full effort in whatever I did to give back.

``I knew football was in my heart and I was going to try to make it one way or the other, and if I were ever to make it, I would take care of her, for taking care of me."

I like the fact that Maroney has a pretty clear understanding of what is important in life and is nicely grounded by what sounds like a terrific family. That should be the foundation for a great career and for him to be a locker room leader of the future.

Brady on Monday was raving about not just his on field performance but what a great guy Maroney is and how he already seems like he'll be a team leader.

ironwasp said:
I like the fact that Maroney has a pretty clear understanding of what is important in life and is nicely grounded by what sounds like a terrific family. That should be the foundation for a great career and for him to be a locker room leader of the future.

I'm just going to enjoy these years while I can since I thought the same thing about Branch. His head was swelled by a Super Bowl MVP and I'm sure Maroney has what it takes to get one for himself :)

Do NFL teams actually hand out physical paychecks ? Have they not heard of direct deposit ? :confused:

Well, it takes a little while to get direct deposit set up... ;P

I'm just going to enjoy these years while I can since I thought the same thing about Branch. His head was swelled by a Super Bowl MVP and I'm sure Maroney has what it takes to get one for himself

BB is a run first man, I would think that if it came down to it, and after his rookie season Maroney is for real, he'll get paid...BB likes a good, solid, stud RB...

grapedog said:
Well, it takes a little while to get direct deposit set up... ;P

BB is a run first man, I would think that if it came down to it, and after his rookie season Maroney is for real, he'll get paid...BB likes a good, solid, stud RB...

I was going to say something similar. We all know that BB places less value on the WR position. However, Maroney is a very valuable possible superstar runningback. I definitely think they would approach his situation with a different set of criteria.

richpats said:
I'm just going to enjoy these years while I can since I thought the same thing about Branch. His head was swelled by a Super Bowl MVP and I'm sure Maroney has what it takes to get one for himself :)

If you look at Branch's stats, he didn't contribute much until the playoffs in most seasons. And he was offered very good money to stay.

Maroney is a stud, and will be offered the money he is worth, which will be more than Branch, if things keep going in a positive direction.

Seymour and Brady and Light and Bruschi could have made more elsewhere. So don't give up hope just yet.

BelichickFan said:
Do NFL teams actually hand out physical paychecks ? Have they not heard of direct deposit ? :confused:

More than likely they're just handing out paystubs.

[You know, I wouldn't mind getting a paystub saying "Your federal taxable income is . . ." a number with two or three digits before the comma, even if they did take out almost half of it in taxes. :) ]

richpats said:

I like the part in the article where it says Maroney "is loyal to no end. Once you're his friend, you're his friend for life." If true, it seems that he would do everything in his power to try to stay with the team, especially if he becomes good friends with someone like Brady who will be there pretty much his entire career. Also, he seems to have gotten most everything he's wanted out of the money. He bought his mother her dream home. The impression I got when he said that he would pay anything to go back to college and hang out with his friends was that the money wasn't as important to him as the friendships.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back