PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Article: Do-Over for the 2006 draft

Dontcha love how they basically said... "Well, in retrospect, they shoulda done... uh, exactly what they did"?

I wouldn't say they are wrong to put Young at 1 to the Texans but Young didn't exactly prove much last year. Yes he was able to win some which is certainly something, I'm not trying to take that away from him. But the knock on Young was that he can give you highlight reel plays but as a consistent passer he might struggle. And that's putting it nicely. As a passer he kind of sucked. His knack to win games and rally his team around him is certainly a valueable attribute, as is the fact that he brings a dimension with his combination of size and speed that we haven't ever really seen at the QB position. But I wouldn't say he has answered all the questions or put his doubters to rest yet. Just my two cents.

Michael Huff all the way to 24. Vernon Davis to 17. Makes sense, he is a physical freak but was not very productive this year.

I agree with Leinart at 3. I was a doubter of his but he looks like he will be a very good NFL quarterback, not just a college wonder.

And I would just like to give the Pats front office a pat on the back. They showed tons of interest in Richard Marshall last year before anyone else did and he turned out to be the best rookie CB and moves all the way from the second round to 19. Eveb though they didn't pick him, they can still say I told ya so.

It's always fun to look back and argue what teams should have done with their draft pick.

Its kind of silly really. First of all there is no way that Colston, a 7th round pick would be a top 5 if you redrafted, just because he put up stats as a rookie.
The flaw in this approach is that you are looking at only the rookie year, and the most critical factor is whether or not they had the opportunity to play and how much.

Vince Young didnt play all that well (I think he completed 51% of his passes, and had more Ints than TDs) but he is 'redrafted' at #1. Would he be redrafted at #1 or fall into the second round if Kerry Collins played well enough to stay on the field, and the Titans were good enough to be winning?

"All they had was one good rookie year" All any NFL prospect needs in sone good Junior or Senior year, so how is this any different?

few of my thoughts:
I would still take Hawk over Ryans
and
Holmes would not be taken in the first round.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back