Article: Colts are greatest because they weren't good

Status
Not open for further replies.

shatch62

Practice Squad Player
Reaction score
http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/6441418

Are the Colts an all-time great team?

This could be the dumbest article EVER. Basically the idea is that the Colts are a great team because “they were able to be downright awful for long, long stretches and still prevail.”

The article lists all the mistakes that Colts overcame in the playoffs to win the Super Bowl. Per the author “You might think that so much poor play would relegate them to the middle tier of NFL champions, but I think it means that the 2006 Colts, playoff edition, were so dominant that they could fall asleep for entire quarters and still win convincingly. The team the Colts put on the field for Super Bowl XLI will go down as one of the best in history.”

What? Here is another gem:

“The Colts dispatched four formidable playoff opponents without once playing a game that was sound offensively, defensively and on special teams. In other words, they had a rather sizeable margin of error, meaning not only are they a worthy champion but a team so talented they could wade through four opponents with a combined 47-17 (.734) record without once playing their "A" game.”

I would argue that this was one the WORST Super Bowl winners because of how bad they played.

How soon we forget greatness. The 1985 Bears went 15-1 and won their 3 playoff games by a combined 91-10. They pitched 2 shut outs before dominating the Pats 46-10 in the Super Bowl.

How about the 2004 Patriot team? IN the play offs, they beat a 12-4 Indy team that averaged 32.6 points a game in the regular season 20-3. They went into Pittsburgh to face the 15-1 Steelers and won 41-27. In the Super Bowl they faced a 13-3 Philly team and beat them 24-21. So the Pats played teams that were a combined 40-8 (.833), flat out DOMINATED two of the opponents and beat the third but they are not as good as the Colts of 2006 because the Pats didn’t play “downright awful for long, long stretches and still prevail.”

So the key to greatness is to play crappy and win.

Re: Article: Colts are greatest because they weren't good.

So the key to greatness is to play crappy and win.
The Colts defiantly play crappy because the Pats play better then them. The Pats didn't win the game that could have sent them to super bowl because they weren't playing so great. They were playing in a dome stadium and I heard that Tom Brady plays best in a dome stadium. I also heard that because Tom Brady loves playing in dome stadiums they replaced the grass at Gillette with Astroturf (however you spell it) just so that he could play better. Even though the Pats lost that game they are still my favorite team.:)

Its not that Indianapolis played bad in the post-season, on the contrary..the team's they played were just really good. The Chiefs...thats where the colts run was supposed to end. Power running team vs the Colts was supposed to spell disaster, defense showed up and it was one sided, never happend like the experts said it would. Baltimore..supposedly a defensive squad as good as the one they had their super bowl year..played great against the colts, but the colts defense played better. The Pats...over comming an 18 point lead is no small feat...let alone in the playoff's against 3 times champs..but they pulled it out. And they beat Chicago..which they should've. The colts were supposed to lose every game until they got to the super bowl, but they just kept on winning. Are they the greatest ever? No. But they won just as ugly as the pat's have had to do year after year...so I cant say the pat's team's were better.

Its not that Indianapolis played bad in the post-season, on the contrary..the team's they played were just really good. The Chiefs...thats where the colts run was supposed to end. Power running team vs the Colts was supposed to spell disaster, defense showed up and it was one sided, never happend like the experts said it would. Baltimore..supposedly a defensive squad as good as the one they had their super bowl year..played great against the colts, but the colts defense played better. The Pats...over comming an 18 point lead is no small feat...let alone in the playoff's against 3 times champs..but they pulled it out. And they beat Chicago..which they should've. The colts were supposed to lose every game until they got to the super bowl, but they just kept on winning. Are they the greatest ever? No. But they won just as ugly as the pat's have had to do year after year...so I cant say the pat's team's were better.

the words are obviously a joke yet i detect no sarcasm

Good post Nick. This SB winning Colts team is absolutely, not even close, to being the greatest ever. But like Nick said, they did what they had to do to win. They came back on the Pats, (no easy task) and they beat the #2 team in the AFC (Ravens). Granted, they won ugly, but bottomline, they won which is the name of the game. There was also no controversial calls or anything like that, that could have tainted their victories.

Good post Nick. This SB winning Colts team is absolutely, not even close, to being the greatest ever. But like Nick said, they did what they had to do to win. They came back on the Pats, (no easy task) and they beat the #2 team in the AFC (Ravens). Granted, they won ugly, but bottomline, they won which is the name of the game. There was also no controversial calls or anything like that, that could have tainted their victories.

cough faceguarding cough (granetd it didnt decide the entire game but it was controversial)

cough faceguarding cough (granetd it didnt decide the entire game but it was controversial)
Perhaps, but it wasn't even close to deciding the game.

Cough* Haden on Caldwell no call in the endzone led to 4th down* cough. couldve made the game tied at 38 instead of us kicking fieldgoal. Which could of been us trying for a GW feildgoal instead of a touchdown the last drive.

... There was also no controversial calls or anything like that, that could have tainted their victories.
What are you on and where can I get some?

Last edited:

that indy team was one of the worst ever to win a SB. They won ugly because the NFL was down in 2006, and there were no fantastic teams. the only complete team they beat was NE, and they needed a monster 2nd half to do that.

There was also no controversial calls or anything like that, that could have tainted their victories.

Yes there was. That pass interference call on the Pats which shouldn't have been a pass interference since Hobbs didn't even touch the guy. The ball hit him in the back but that doesn't constitute pass interference.

That play alone gave the Colts a 1 yrd to the endzone advantage instead of a 4th down, which resulted into a touchdown.

I have to say, the Colts were not even that great, and it wasn't that they were so good that even playing bad, they are still the best. The patriots were 1 minute away from a superbowl. The colts defense is no where in the same league as its offense. The only thing the defense has going for them is "the best defense is a good offense." and the colts definitely had nothing special, other than Peyton and Harrison. Without one of them, the team would probably miss the post season, even in their "amazing division." I don't want to hear and crap about how amazing this team was. It is more saying "the colts were decent, but no one else was good."

Just thought i would add this article.

http://www.patriots.com/search/index.cfm?ac=searchdetail&pid=23945&pcid=41

Last edited:

that indy team was one of the worst ever to win a SB. They won ugly because the NFL was down in 2006, and there were no fantastic teams. the only complete team they beat was NE, and they needed a monster 2nd half to do that.

you are so right about patsfan24 i think that the colts got to the super bowl just off of emotion. we all know that was the pats game to win and basically i say we gave them that game. that super bowl was very hard to stomach because of how sloopy they but hey lets not worried about last year but we all know its coming back home.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes