PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Article: Advice for Asante

Status
Not open for further replies.
I really think given Vasher's extension it may be his only realistic option. That signing may have given pause to a few of his suitors irrespective of trade compensation - which was likely already tempering their serious interest this season.

Bill didn't do too bad for essentially a baseball guy, and a somewhat confused one at times at that. But two things he stated were not quite factual. First, IMO, Asante is aspiring to a level he ain't quite at yet. He was very good down the stretch in 2006, and much better in the playoffs in 2005, but he wasn't exceptional early on in either of his last two seasons.

Second, I think Bill is underestimating his reporting figures because it's not games but weeks that count:

"If Samuel chose to go the stubborn route, sitting out the first 10 games and then playing the remaining six, he would receive $2.92 million. That's good money. But he would forfeiting about $4.9 million."

As I understand it these players get paid in 17 weekly increments that include the bye. Our bye week is week 10 as fate would have it. No way Asante wouldn't report in time to pocket $458K for a bye week. And I recall last season during discussions on Deion's possible week 10 holdout that the union advises these players to report a week before that deadline just in case some circumstance or disaster might befall them that makes it impossible to report on time for week 10. Week 9 is Indy. So if he did do the prolonged holdout I think Asante would return/report for week 9 thus qualifying for 9 weeks or just over half of his franchise tag salary (or roughly $4.1M while forfeiting about $3.8M).

Nothing ground breaking in that report. It's pretty much a rehash of what most of us have voiced over the past 3 months.

The stuff about his draft position and his first contract, although we all knew it, is actually interesting perspective.

I think the point is that we're fighting not just against perceived inequities that have occurred during his tenure with the Pats, but also that go back further. He feels like he finally showed the world last year what he has already known about himself for 8 years, and he sees this contract as a way to make everything right for the feelings of underappreciation that he's felt for many years.

That's a darn powerful problem, and I think helps explain why some of the arguments you read on this board about the rationality of $7.79 million are completely besides the point. Someone feeling like he probably feels does not see things in rational economic terms. While the Patriots are great at looking at the status of a situation RIGHT NOW and judging the pros and cons and the value, it's hard for individuals to think that way, and I think Asante is about as far from that kind of mode of thinking as can be. People laugh all the time when players say it's about "respect." I agree that's an unfortunate word, and that really it is always about money. But there is some kernel of truth there. For Asante, this is about what he thinks has been his value all along and making up for perceived inequities in the past. The Patriots don't give a sh*t about the past. This is a problem. Probably *the* problem. I'm pessimistic about how this plays out.

This is true. I recall reading a while back about how Asante has felt disrespected (relative to his own confidence in his abilities vs. outside assessments/perception of his potential) since college. Now, our QB had the same type of issues, but his answer was to strive to prove all his critics wrong continually on the football field at this level and just let the money take care of itself as a result.

Most of the core guys on this team have had "respect" issues throughout their careers. But they almost all seem to be more driven to disprove their critics on the field than merely trump everyone else in the line at the local bank.

I also appreciate that whole guys who came from less than nothing need more syndrome. But when we're talking about the difference between say $13M and $18M or $6M vs. $8M that just starts to wear a little thin. I could be very good to my entire extended family for generations on $13M guaranteed. Heck, for me a mere $7.79M once would do the trick.

When money is involved a lot of these players (anyone really, not just players) do not act rational. Do be infatuated with money so much you get it tattooed on you is pretty telling.

With all that love of $$$ you would think he would love to play for roughly 8 million -- that's a lot of love!

Of course, there is the problem with injuries, etc, but I would think showing up over half way through the season would be an even bigger risk. He won't be in football shape (I would be willing he shows up in good shape though - just not football shape) and will have an increased injury risk. He may not be put in the line up right off and it will probably take him a while to find his groove. That can't be good for his value or his tattoo.

Vasher's contract will make it a lot harder for Asante to extort crazy money from the Pats. I know some people say the Vasher contract has no bearing on Asante's contract, but that's just crazy talk.

Of course (and Asante knows this) I am sure there are teams out there willing to make him the highest paid corner in the NFL. Many of those are probably saying that to drive a wedge between the Pats and Asante, but a few of them may mean it. Common sense is a stranger to many teams in the league. It's easy for teams to promise the moon when they can say, "We would make you a billionaire tommorrow if it weren't for that darn franchise tag! Those Patriots are meanies!"

I just can't imagine this working out too well for Asante, unless he signs and plays.

But when you are irrational, your best interests are usually not your first priority.

http://www.bostonherald.com/blogs/patriots/?p=1275
Now … Samuel started three games at LCB in 2004, 17 in 2005 and the final nine (including playoffs) in 2006. That, by the way, is Ty Law’s old spot. And it’s where Chris McAlister and Champ Bailey, the two best cover guys in the league, line up for the Ravens and Broncos respectively. The fact that Law, McAlister and Bailey all play the left is no coincidence.

Nor is it a mistake that Samuel, clearly the team’s best defensive back in 2006, has been there for the majority of the last two years. Another thing to remember, too, is that the wealth of picks (an overrated statistic in evaluating a corner’s overall play) he collected on the left doesn’t speak to the challenge of playing that side as much as it does to the fact opportunities are increased playing on the left, where, typically, better receivers that come up earlier in a QB’s progression are.
While I'm not a graduate of Coach Tressel's class http://www.bostonherald.com/blogs/patriots/?p=1274,
... the following is an e-mail last night from colleague Albert Breer after bouncing the idea off of him.

Bert raises some interesting points, and though he’s normally encouraged to agree with everything I say, in this case we’ll make an exception. He did, after all, earn a higher grade in Jim Tressel’s “Coaching Football” class at Ohio State than Pats wideout Bam Childress. True story.
I am a graduate student at Patsfans U. Now the problem I have with Albert's point that Samuel is "...clearly the team’s best defensive back in 2006..." ignores the starting line-up for the start of the season - Hobbs, whom I felt was the Pats #1 CB at the close of the 2005 season, started the season at the LCB position. Samuel got moved over there only after a cast wearing Hobbs' began struggling. Asante was the best DB by default, Hobbs has been just as effective against top talent and would be pushing Asante for any #1 CB ranking.

I want Asante back, #1, #2, left, right, I don't care where he plays because he knows the system and will do an excellent job. As far as contract negotiations, I don't care, I'm a Patriots' fan first, Samuel fan second. If he holds out or is traded or hits the jackpot and becomes the highest paid Pat, such is life, I'll be a fan of whichever CB wins the starting slot.

I'm watching Chris McAllister of NFL Total Access discuss covering top WRs, the critical point he's making is "know the situation," down and distance dictate the coverage, not to mention knowing the tendencies of the other team. Don't you just love hearing a top player preaching the same thing BB teaches!

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes