PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Article about Tavon Wilson and his Grandmother.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sounds like he had as much or more family as a lot of these guys, including some male-adult family.

Good for them (and him).

Easy to root for a person like him. Unfortunate about his Mom but his Grandma picked up hopefully TW continues to remember her encouraging words. "Patriots Way" will be a positive as well.

They always say that "heart" cannot be measured.

The fact that this kid has overcome so much, played 49/50 college games, been a captain, and made honorable mention big ten means a lot.

Nothing ventured, nothing gained.

I'll admit that I would've picked someone else, but I am actually excited about the prospect of the pick nonetheless.

The fact that this kid has overcome so much, played 49/50 college games, been a captain, and made honorable mention big ten means a lot.

I'll admit that I would've picked someone else, but I am actually excited about the prospect of the pick nonetheless.

Indeed. I'll be rooting for him. I expect this guy is ready to work.

Yeah, I can't say I'm stoked with the pick but the more I read, I'm definitely opening up to what he can bring to the team. Talking to reporters after he was drafted, he mentioned he chose to play CB his senior year (after moving from CB to S) when given the choice because they had safeties coming back from injury but had a CB spot that needed filling. He did what he felt was best for the team. He also said he watched every minute of the combine he wasn't invited to as motivation to get better.

His effort IMO will never be questioned. Let's see what he can do.

Another aspect that should be considered is that many of us wanted a guy like Trumaine Johnson to be moved from CB to S.

We all know the odds of a successful conversion project right off the bat aren't great, so there's just as good of a chance of Johnson failing here as there is of Wilson.

It's another good verstility pick for our secondary, another guy who has played both CB and S.

No matter how you look at it, our secondary should be vastly improved--and that was obviously the biggest weakness that we had.

Remember last season when half this board went nutso beserk as James Sanders was jettisoned?...and then all season it was "if BB had only kept Sanders!!!" every friggin' day from the same group of constant complainers...well now, here comes a kid just as versatile as Sanders was, who is BIGGER by an inch and a half...and FASTER...a 4.52 versus Sanders 4.68...a team captain and acknowledged leader...and all anybody reads today is what a bust he already is, wasted pick,too slow, too small, to "not who I wanted and I'm the winner of my geeky gaga goo goo fantasy league...which makes ME a knower of things!!!"....here's the FACTS..

you, me, and every other ding dong daddy wearing red white and blue, swilling Sam Adams and chomping on grilled sausage sandwiches at the tailgates know exactly SQUAT about the real whys and wherefores of ANY Patriot pick....who this kid is and what his future holds is an unknown...what IS known is the Pats had a NEED at safety and they made their choice based on THEIR evaluation. That is good enough for me.Sure there are hits and misses...ON EVERY TEAM!!! How this kid works out is yet to be determined...how about YOU know-it-all sofa spuds give it at LEAST a season or two before you send down your lightning bolts from Mt. Orumpus.

BB has had talented players at Safety who are not leaders. Unheralded James Sanders turned out to be better than them all, because he was smart, and a leader, and did the intangible things, that Scouts don't see. At least until he got fat and out of shape. So Bill cut him for that unforgiveable leadership gaffe.

There is more to playing Safety then just your individual coverage ability. There is the entire mental job that needs to be done. You need to set the Defense. You need to diagnose.

I'm sure that that one of the reasons that Tavon was picked is because he is a leader, coachable, and a team leader. Since their were no SAfeties this Draft, I and others proposed taking a big corner and converting him. I thought Trumain seemed like a candidate untiil revealed that he is not a natural leader and not a mental whiz. I'm sure teams were disappointed that it did not seem that or other candidate conversions were doable.

But Tavon is both a CB and a Safety already; and a disciplined team captain, and willing to put team ahead of his own stats. I don't know if this attempt to manufacture a NFL Safety will work, but the sculptor works with the clay he has.

Reiss has noticed that several teams had this kid in for pre draft visits even though the powers that be didn't invite him to the underwear expo or bowls. He noted a similar situation when Vollmer was selected. Another analogy might be a guy like Welker, whom we ended up trading a 2nd and a 7th for...

I didn't have a pre draft binky this year because Bill so rarely indulges them. I now have a post draft binky. I'm drawn to rooting for football players who are determined to overcome adversity and prove their critics wrong.

Last edited:
Reiss has noticed that several teams had this kid in for pre draft visits even though the powers that be didn't invite him to the underwear expo or bowls. He noted a similar situation when Vollmer was selected. Another analogy might be a guy like Welker, whom we ended up trading a 2nd and a 7th for...

I didn't have a pre draft binky this year because Bill so rarely indulges them. I now have a post draft binky. I'm drawn to rooting for football players who are determined to overcome adversity and prove their critics wrong.
The more information that starts trickling out, the more attractive the acquisition of Wilson looks. Listen, there will always be major question marks, but given the landscape of the draft, if teams had him rated somewhat higher than other DB's, given the way the draft was falling sometimes you just have to pull the trigger on a pick. The Bequette pick looks like excellent value at that position, so we've filled needs.

I'm very happy with the Patriots 2012 Draft. They're filling needs and the FO is doing it with what appear to be high quality young men in the process.

Last edited:

Right on Mo.

Also we needed a safety and Bill drafted a safety. Reach maybe, but either way this kid looks like he will fit with the Pats.. I am rooting for him..

you know who's a high quality young Patriot??...Big Vince....I LOVE this guy...he's grown into the leader some thought he would when HE was drafted...others whispered their behind the back, snarky little negatives and doubted his ability to assume a leadership role on this team but here we are today...there is NO QUESTION that Big Vince is one of the team leaders, a teammate that sets the tone by example through hard work and study...I got the chance to listen to him interviewed on EEI yesterday and he was asked who he thought the Pats would take...repeatedly..and each time he said the same thing.."I'm not even gonna try...I haven't made but one right pick since I been here...I learned to leave all that to Bill"...he went on to say whoever the Pats picked in the first few rounds, he was sure they'd be high character guys and that Bill looks for players who demonstrate leadership abilities....and now, 48 hours later...Big Vince looks like a savant.

Great work man, thanks!

I wasn't exactly fired up about this pick at first, but after knowing his story I've jumped on his bandwagon. I really hope he can pan out here. The first thing that came to my mind when his name came out was Sebastian Vollmer... that day I promised I wouldn't bash any BB pick until see how he develops, let's hope Wilson can be a similar story.

Lets just give the kid a chance. At least he seems a good kid whos battled through adversity. Maybe he turns out to be a diamond in the rough like Vollmer and to the same degree Mankins.

By the way if we get (someone touted as a 2-3rd rounder) one of Brandon Boykin, Chase Minnifield, Alfonzo Dennard, Joe Adams, Juron Criner, Chris Givens, Bobbie Massie, Jared Crick, Lamar Miller, Chris Polk, in the FIFTH round then the Tavon pick may seems less strange IMO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back