PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Art Shell. Raiders New Coach...Again.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Terry Glenn is a cowgirl

Experienced Starter w/First Big Contract
Reaction score
OK...I guess I heard worse hirings. He did have a decent record. Might be able do better than his former coach has.

IMO, very good hiring by Davis and the Raiders.

Murphys95 said:
IMO, very good hiring by Davis and the Raiders.

Then why did Davis make a third offer to Bobby Petrino, coach at the University of Louisville, and some other guys I would cringe to see coaching any time I liked, before offering the position to Shell? IIRC, Shell was considered too soft last time around with the Raiders, but I'm kind of "soft" on that opinion. Like, what do I know. Oh well, can't get too smug as a Patriots fan. Nothing lasts forever.

I have no idea whether Shell is a good coach or not, but the message that the whole hiring process conveys is disastrous: guys do not want to work for that organisation. How on earth is Shell going to attract or retain players and exercise discipline over an organisation with that kind of atmosphere? If he makes the Raiders successful he won't be a good coach -- he'll be a great one.

He has a good record but there is zero respect for his HC skills around the league. His teams were always considered undiscipline underachievers.

Why not the Raiders?

It wasn't that long ago that almost any other team's fans would be saying "Why would anybody want the Patriots head coaching job?"

I think Art Shell is a good hire and I can think of a couple angles he could take to entice some players to Oakland. I must admit that a new stadium would help big time. I would like to see the Raiders to come back so that the Patriots could really whip their asses. We need to continue the payback for all the Stabler years. It's more fun to beat good teams.

fluoropolymer said:
It wasn't that long ago that almost any other team's fans would be saying "Why would anybody want the Patriots head coaching job?"

I think Art Shell is a good hire and I can think of a couple angles he could take to entice some players to Oakland. I must admit that a new stadium would help big time. I would like to see the Raiders to come back so that the Patriots could really whip their asses. We need to continue the payback for all the Stabler years. It's more fun to beat good teams.

Call me vindictive -- but I'm fine with the Raiders going 0-16 every year ...

Mike the Brit said:
I have no idea whether Shell is a good coach or not, but the message that the whole hiring process conveys is disastrous: guys do not want to work for that organisation. How on earth is Shell going to attract or retain players and exercise discipline over an organisation with that kind of atmosphere? If he makes the Raiders successful he won't be a good coach -- he'll be a great one.

Supposedly Davis retains control over hiring the assistants and has final say over almost all matters. To paraphrase another coach, "if he can't buy the groceries, how can he cook the dinner?" In this case, it seems like Davis is buying the groceries,picking out the menu, giving him the recipe, preheating the oven but it's Shell who'll be blamed if the dinner is ruined. That to me is a no win situation. I hope he gets paid enough to make it worthwhile.
Couldn't happen to a nicer franchise....................
Just my $0.02,

A few years ago, a coach with the initials "BB" might have been considered about like Shell is today - his first head coaching job had mixed results. This "BB" guy learned from his mistakes and went on to bigger and better things. Maybe Shell can, too.
The one turd in the potatoes is Al Davis. Maybe Shell figures he'll outlive him. Davis already looks like he's been dead 5-6 years anyway. :D

Fanfrom1960 said:
Then why did Davis make a third offer to Bobby Petrino, coach at the University of Louisville, and some other guys I would cringe to see coaching any time I liked, before offering the position to Shell? IIRC, Shell was considered too soft last time around with the Raiders, but I'm kind of "soft" on that opinion. Like, what do I know. Oh well, can't get too smug as a Patriots fan. Nothing lasts forever.

IMO, this is a good hire from the standpoint that Shell knows how Davis operates, Shell is a former Raider, and Shell is a former Raiders coach.

My opinion is that the last time we saw the "Raider Mystique" was when Shell was coach; and what I mean by mystique is an attitude of toughness, smash-mouth football. Remember those Oakland/Denver games in the early 90's? Wow, those were fun to watch because of the rivalry, hitting, and the emotion emanating from the Raiders. Hey, I don't necessarily care much for Oakland, but it is fun to hate them.....I think Shell could bring that back.

I think Shell is the best Davis is going to do.

Patsfanin Philly said:
Supposedly Davis retains control over hiring the assistants and has final say over almost all matters. To paraphrase another coach, "if he can't buy the groceries, how can he cook the dinner?" In this case, it seems like Davis is buying the groceries,picking out the menu, giving him the recipe, preheating the oven but it's Shell who'll be blamed if the dinner is ruined. That to me is a no win situation. I hope he gets paid enough to make it worthwhile.
Couldn't happen to a nicer franchise....................
Just my $0.02,

This is the perfect analogy.

That team will be a mess until the corpse that is Al Davis finally rests where it belongs.

Dang, I wanted to see the Steelers lose their offensive coordinator.

shakadave said:
Dang, I wanted to see the Steelers lose their offensive coordinator.
Good point. Losing Whisenunt might have taken Pittsburgh down a notch, but wouldn't have taken Oakland up that much as long as Davis is there. The Bus is retiring though, the "great leader". I wonder if he'll move back to Detroit. Doubt it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back