PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Arrington gets screwed AGAIN!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jdubh3 said:
He has a lot of incentives written into his contract. If he plays well, then he will be paid really really well.
THis is my understanding, also. I just don't understand how he is getting screwed. He was a FA for a long time, and the market set his value. Geez, I really hate deending the Postons, I just don't see where they did anything but get the best deal they could. After the draft, anyone who really needed a LB would have drafted one, the the money would have been even less.

DaBruinz said:
In Arrington's contract with the Redskins, they failed to read the final copy of the contract before having Arrington sign it. In the final copy, there was a 6.75 million roster bonus REMOVED from the contract by the Redskins, though it had been in previous versions.

When Arrington went to collect, the Redskins were like "WTF are you talking about. You're contract doesn't include that." And the Postons went scrambling. The Postons tried to blame the Redskins for altering the contract. However, the Redskins positions was, "You didn't read the final version? Tough. Your fault. Not ours."
Yeah, I knew about that. This thread is "screwed again" and I wonder what happened this time.

Here's the screw:

Arrington's old contract called for a 5.7 million bonus due and base salary of 12.013 million in 2006. Washington could not have cut him because they would not have been able to absorb the 12 million dollar cap hit for 2006! So he gave up 17.713 million dollars for this year alone!!! Instead of renegoitating the contract, they came up with this buy-put scheme, which allowed the Redskins to dump Arrington and avoid a 12 million dollar cap hit.

From the Washington Post:

Arrington, 27, has a $12.05 million salary cap figure in 2006 -- almost twice that of any other Redskins player -- and is scheduled to receive a $6.5 million roster bonus July 15; four general managers and three prominent agents who have assessed the situation agreed that those factors likely will lead to an offseason departure. Arrington himself referred to an apparent shift of the team away from him Monday, and alluded to possibly having to pass physicals for other teams to prove that his surgically repaired knee is healed. Both Arrington and Coach Joe Gibbs have said he is fit enough to play.

Arrington is virtually ensured of being here for the duration of this season. Dealing him before the Oct. 18 trade deadline would require $12 million of salary cap space for Washington; the Redskins are about $1.6 million under the cap, league sources said. Washington could attempt to deal him in the offseason, when it could absorb that kind of cap hit, but considering he may have gone nearly two seasons without playing full time by then, and the fact that other teams may feel the Redskins are resigned to having to cut him eventually, getting value for the three-time Pro Bowler could prove difficult. Two general managers suggested a second- or third-round pick as possible value for Arrington, if healthy.

FreeTedWilliams said:
Here's the screw:

Arrington's old contract called for a 5.7 million bonus due and base salary of 12.013 million in 2006. Washington could not have cut him because they would not have been able to absorb the 12 million dollar cap hit for 2006! So he gave up 17.713 million dollars for this year alone!!! Instead of renegoitating the contract, they came up with this buy-put scheme, which allowed the Redskins to dump Arrington and avoid a 12 million dollar cap hit.

From the Washington Post:

Arrington, 27, has a $12.05 million salary cap figure in 2006 -- almost twice that of any other Redskins player -- and is scheduled to receive a $6.5 million roster bonus July 15;

The Washington Post story contradicts your conclusion that Arrington was due to receive $17 million in new money from the Redskins this year. A player with $12.05 million salary cap figure could not possibly have a $12.013 salary AND a $5.7 million roster bonus due him.

Miguel said:
Me, neither. I heard that the Packers offered Arrington more money than did the Giants but he turned them down to play for the Giants. I guess the opportunity to play for a winning team and the chance to play against his former team two times a year was worth giving up some money to Arrington.

* Well, Miguel, Charles Woodson signed with the Packers today for " 7 years and up to $52 million, ESPN.com's Michael Smith reports. Woodson will make $10.5 million in the first year of the deal" I guess the Poston's screwed him, too.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back