Welcome to PatsFans.com

Arrests made in bars: for being drunk in bars

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by scout, Mar 23, 2006.

1. scout

scout Veteran Starter w/Big Long Term Deal

Ratings:
    +51 / 0 / -2

#15 Jersey

The first sting was in a Dallas suburb, where undercover agents infiltrated 36 bars and arrested 30 people. They said the goal was to detain drunks before they did something like get in a car drunk.
    I guess Texas doesn't have any more urgent needs in regards to crime. If the concern was drunk driving, there's better means to curtail that dangerous practice. The agents just presumed that these "drunks" would be driving. It would be interesting to see what person or group of people were behind this move.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/11965237/

2. wistahpatsfan

wistahpatsfan Pro Bowl Player

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -1

#75 Jersey

Sounds like the government is expanding their pre-emptive action tendencies. This is creepy and very disturbing, like the Pre-Crime authority in "Minority Report". This police department is pushing the envelop to see how far the People will let them get away with, as usual. I wonder how the cops felt while they were doing their duty. Embarassed, I hope.

3. All_Around_Brown

All_Around_Brown In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

Read between the lines in Bushs illegal NSA spy program and "Minority Report" is exactly what you come up with. Its unchecked data mining of everyone to uncover a few potential "evil doers", more than it is "listening in on Al Qaeda".

4. scout

scout Veteran Starter w/Big Long Term Deal

Ratings:
    +51 / 0 / -2

#15 Jersey

Its just not right. My drinking in bar days is over, and I had a few good ones. So, I'm not fighting this argument as a drinker, but as a concerned citizen fighting Big Brother. Gee, any room for a little prejudice on this issue. You go to a bar to let loose a little. After a couple of drinks you are legally drunk and thus, could be hauled away. Doesn't matter if your practice is drink three or four drinks and then cool it for a few hours and have some coffee before you take off, or even have your designated driver take you home. No, the cops are there to take you to jail. This is the society that the religious right want to see. I'm just wondering if this is a liberal issue. Is anyone out there that wants to defend this practice, after all this is from the conservatives.

5. Pujo

Pujo Experienced Starter w/First Big Contract

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0

I think the police is going to get sued on this and lose.

I'd love to hear what Pats-Blue thinks on this, since the police can never be wrong with him.

Last edited: Mar 23, 2006
  6. Chevy

Chevy Third String But Playing on Special Teams

Ratings:
    +25 / 0 / -0

#75 Jersey

This can't last. I'm going to run this by some lawyer friends and see what they say, but my gut reaction is that there is no way this could stand up in court. Public Drinkeness charges are generally used when the individual is presenting a threat to themselves or others . Sitting at a bar stool with a BAC of .10 isn't exactly causing a danger to anyone.

7. wistahpatsfan

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -1

#75 Jersey

Yet another reason to grant Texas the independence they so deserve (Sorry Seymour). SEE YA!

8. pats-blue

pats-blue Third String But Playing on Special Teams

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0

Hey buddy, how did you know that we do no wrong? Sorry I haven't been around and haven't answered scouts post on another thread yet... we had an officer shot here so I have had more important things to do.

I don't agree with this at all FYI. I would like to point out two things though. #1 they are not ticketing or arresting people just over the limit they are ticketing/arresting those who are grossly intoxicated. #2 the "police" don't do this on your own even though I know Pujo you think we are all evil doers and "sewage" but this is from thier City Council, Mayor or whatever, it is someones pet project. I wouldn't have a problem with this if they were just citing the BAR for over serving someone (which they are though the article just concentrates on the patron angle), but the "slobbering drunk" patron? That part just seems silly to me.

As I said it has been busy with all that is going on in the valley here, I will try and get to my answer to your post scout, but right now I have to get some sleep which has been in short supply...

By the way here in the valley we don't even have a public intoxication statute...open container, but no public intoxication, I thought that was interesting being from the East coast that they don't have that here.

Last edited: Mar 23, 2006
  9. Pujo

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0

Well I stand corrected, my apologies.

10. wistahpatsfan

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -1

#75 Jersey

Some fascist skank from the Texas ABCC was just on Tucker Carlson last night

11. pats-blue

pats-blue Third String But Playing on Special Teams

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0

If it is the ABCC that is doing this I understand why they are doing it. I still don't agree, but this is all the ABCC does in Texas is regulate the bars, stores and places with liquor licenses.

See this is the problem with the "media". I'm not sure what the difference in TX is but here in AZ, liqour board "officers" while technically Police Officers do not do the training they are "signed in" by the Govenor. While they are considered "peace officers" by statute they would never do any police work that didn't involve the enforcement of the liquor license.

Again I don't agree with citing the patrons, but do agree citing the bars. The media portrayed this as the "Police" doing this which upset many hear saying the "Police" should have better things to do (which I agree and we do) But whoever wrote this article I'm sure KNEW that if they were clear that it was liquor board agents NOT actual Police Detectives thier story wouldn't have the same "pop" or outrage (still some for this silly action but less of a "story") typical media...they are as bad as polititians in the "lying" catagory.

12. Harry Boy

Harry Boy Look Up, It's Amazing PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +1,127 / 3 / -10

Pats Blue,
    There are many (mostly liberals) I'll get slapped around for that statement, there are many that will never admit or recognize that "The Cop" is ORDERED to do these things, many of these Cops probably don't like doing these things but is their job, their bosses and their bosses, bosses ORDER them to do it.

Many LIBERALS will just turn their heads and look the other way if this is pointed out to them, this goes against all their logic and their little befuddled looney way of looking at things.

Many Liberals simply don't like Cops or anything Cops do because Cops represent DISCIPLINE, RULES, REGULATIONS, LAW AND ORDER, COPS ARE HIRED TO PROTECT AND SERVE AND ALSO TO PROTECT THE PEOPLE FROM THEMSELVES, these things are all against the liberals way of looking at the world..... BUT, (when a liberal is trouble the first thing he does is call a cop)

13. Pujo

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0

That's the problem, people shouldn't be protected from themselves. Drugs?

14. Harry Boy

Ratings:
    +1,127 / 3 / -10

I understand what your saying, I was thinking of people "beating the sh!t out of each other" when the drunk goes home and punches his wife all over the house and kicks the dog while the kids are screaming it's the Cops that have to straighten him out, it's what they do.

15. Pujo

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0

Ahh, protecting (nonconsenting) people from each other is exactly what the police are for. All the power to them, I'd help the police in any way I could to bring an actual criminal to justice.

I'm always careful to make the distinction in conversations that I have with people (maybe not as much here because I'm only willing to explain myself so much here) that while I disagree with unjust laws that target consensual crimes, I have no problem with cops who have to enforce an unjust law - my complaint there lies with the politicians who pass the law.

My only issue with cops themselves is with a small minority (except the LAPD, where it's a large minority) who abuse the badge or treat the noncriminal public with contempt.

Most liberals I know tend to think along those lines since in a social/civil liberties (as opposed to fiscal) sense, liberals and libertarians usually agree.

Last edited: Mar 24, 2006
  16. Harry Boy

Ratings:
    +1,127 / 3 / -10

I must have some "Libertarian" in me because there is nothing worse than a "bad cop", they betray their oath and the people who look to them for security, (my idea of a bad cop is a thief, an abuser of women who use their power to intimidate, and a sadist. When I grew up in Cambridge we had plenty of them, I felt sorry for the good ones they had a hard job trying to be honest, but there were far more good ones than bad ones.

Police & Doctors have one thing in common, they will very seldom "Rat On Each Other".

I do not Consider the "Rodney King Cops" bad cops, Rodney King was a very dangerous man that night.

17. Pujo

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0

Yes he was... until he was unconcious on the ground.

...and they kept beating him.

Let's face facts - the man deserved a beating, but only as much as needed to get him subdued. Anything after that the cops were doing for fun.

18. Harry Boy

Ratings:
    +1,127 / 3 / -10

In my book he deserved what he got, they didn't hurt him to bad a couple of weeks later he broke his wife's arm and took some of her teeth out he did more damage to her than the cops did to him (f-ck him)

19. Chevy

Chevy Third String But Playing on Special Teams

Ratings:
    +25 / 0 / -0

#75 Jersey

Add New Orleans to that list. Pre- and Post-Katrina they are an amazingly lazy and corrupt bunch.

20. gomezcat

gomezcat It's SIR Moderator to you Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0

Eek. What a story. I would be ticketed a lot for the rude soccer songs I sing in public after one alcohol-free beer too many ("honestly, officer, someone spiked my beer again"). :D