Welcome to PatsFans.com

Arrested for a t-shirt?

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by Pujo, Jan 31, 2006.

1. Pujo

Pujo Rookie

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0

Sheehan's only act was wearing a t-shirt with an anti-war slogan at the State of the Union. Is this common practice for presidents during public speeches? I thought a state of the union address was an official presidential duty, and not a private event like a campaign stop. To me, it seems like the first amendment should be the last word here. Agree? Disagree? Want to bring up something irrelevant?
  2. All_Around_Brown

All_Around_Brown Rookie

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

Get used to it. Its called the Bush New World Order. There will be no debate, no dissent, no disagreement. Still glad you escaped the old USSR?
  3. DarrylS

DarrylS PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +186 / 6 / -23

in 1971, the Supreme Court said it was unconstitutional to arrest a man who wore a "F--- the Draft" T-shirt into the courthouse? (Cohen v. California, you can look it up.) So now Alito's on the court for 45 minutes and your civil liberties are already going down the toilet. You were warned...this is the beginning of a new order.
  4. FreeTedWilliams

FreeTedWilliams pfadmins PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +91 / 31 / -3

#75 Jersey

There is no demostrating anytime, anywhere in the capital building, and she was told so and did not repond to the officers. I find it incredulous that a woman who a week earlier was hugging a brutal dictator would be allowed to get even that close to any of our elected officials. She is insane, and their is little doubt about that.
  5. Harry Boy

Harry Boy Look Up, It's Amazing PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +333 / 1 / -9

It is good that Sheehan is acting up, what she really is doing is showing the whole world what she really is, [A NUT].

Even the "Loopy Looney Liberals" are DUMPING her, just as her family has.

She is a disgrace to America and her Dead Hero Son.
  6. wistahpatsfan

wistahpatsfan Rookie

Ratings:
    +11 / 0 / -0

I used to sympathize with Sheehan and I side with her on the illlegitimacy of the occupation, but she put the last nail in her public life coffin last night. It's an honor to be invited to the state of the union speech and her mere presence would have beensufficient statement for the press...but no-o-o-o. She had to be the most important one in the Rostrum last night. What a fool
  7. Pujo

Pujo Rookie

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0

I don't really care for her pesonally, but do you think restricting political t-shirts in the capitol building (for anyone) is wise policy? It seems to me that the center of democracy should be an A-OK place to wear an unpopular view on a shirt. Certainly disrupting a speech with active protest should get you the door, but is a t-shirt materially affecting anyone, or is it just politics?

It's this type of stuff that makes me fear Bush the most, by the way. There's no national security exemption here - unpopular views are just being stifled.
  8. bmf31c

bmf31c Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

What did the t-shirt say?
  9. ELOrocks17

ELOrocks17 Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Oh please, do you really think that if someone showed up to Clintons State of the union speech with a t-shirt showing Hillary in a Nazi uniform with the words "Hitlery 2008" do you really think they would be allowed to sit there and ham it up with the camera?
  10. Pujo

Pujo Rookie

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0

I don't know; it's a valid question. If they weren't it'd be just as bad as what Bush is doing.
  11. Pujo

Pujo Rookie

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0

I don't know, but you're right: that may be pertinent.
  12. DarrylS

DarrylS PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +186 / 6 / -23

The t-shirt had the # of dead soldiers in Iraq, something to that effect. This gives a few details some republicans wife was tossed also:

http://www.breitbart.com/news/2006/02/01/D8FGFK0G0.html

In fairness, Drudge reported this AM that a protester was thrown out of Clinton's impeachment hearings for wearing a shirt that denigrated Bill. Of course there is a basic assumption that Matt is telling the truth, googled Dave Delp this guy but nothing comes up so not sure if this is the truth or not.

http://www.drudgereport.com/flashts.htm
  13. Pujo

Pujo Rookie

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0

That's interesting. The impeachment trial is a different animal because it's a quasi-judicial proceeding and you usually do not allow people outside the case to influence the jury (in this case the Senate). Remember that during that trial, Senators were not permitted to speak under the "pain of prison". Anyway, I believe the first is an equal opportunity amendment - it's not OK to censor any sides to an issue.
  14. wistahpatsfan

wistahpatsfan Rookie

Ratings:
    +11 / 0 / -0

What do you think about the "gangstas" in the Boston courtrooms that were ostensibly trying to intimidate witnesses and were forbidden from wearing those words on clothes and still are?

I agree that the First Amendment is the most important part of the Constitution, but I have no problem with enforcing some standard of decorum diring a very important event like the State of the Union speech, regardless of whether you agree with the one speaking.
  15. PatsFanInEaglesLand

PatsFanInEaglesLand Rookie

Ratings:
    +85 / 6 / -9

#37 Jersey

I guess it works both ways.

http://www.local6.com/news/6647094/detail.html

"The wife of Rep. C.W. Bill Young, R-Indian Shores, told a newspaper that she was ejected during the State of the Union address for wearing a T-shirt that says, "Support the Troops Defending Our Freedom.""
  16. Pujo

Pujo Rookie

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0

I have to say, that's actually MORE lame. At least with Sheehan they could make the half-assed argument that she had a history of disruptive protests so they removed her as a precaution. Young was not at ALL "demonstrating".
  17. Pujo

Pujo Rookie

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0

I have no problem with banning those t-shirts in the courtroom. See my response above regarding the Clinton impeachment trial and free speech in judicial proceedings.
  18. Harry Boy

Harry Boy Look Up, It's Amazing PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +333 / 1 / -9

In the early days of the Senate's impeachment trial of President Bill Clinton in January 1999, a Pennsylvania man named Dave Delp was removed by the Capitol police from the Senate gallery for wearing a t-shirt that said, "Clinton doesn't inhale, he s-cks."
  19. FreeTedWilliams

FreeTedWilliams pfadmins PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +91 / 31 / -3

#75 Jersey

They did:

http://www.drudgereport.com/flashts.htm

Also the capital police removed a CONGRESSMAN'S WIFE last night for wearing a Pro-Troops T-shirt

http://www.local6.com/news/6647094/detail.html

BTW Cindy's T-shirt had the numer of dead soliders and some remark insulting their service on it, please I urge all Democrats to rally around this woman and make her the center of your universe!!!!!!
  20. wistahpatsfan

wistahpatsfan Rookie

Ratings:
    +11 / 0 / -0

Like I said already, what the hell kinda redneck trailer trash person wear a t-shirt to the State of the Union speech? A Congressman's wife? She could've been ejected for having no class.
    Last edited: Feb 1, 2006