Welcome to PatsFans.com

Army Times.. Most troops say gays are no problem

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by DarrylS, Nov 30, 2010.

1. DarrylS

DarrylS PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +151 / 3 / -19

Interesting outcome, was not sure how this study would come out.. but pretty convincing that our armed forces for the most part do not care if Gay Folks serve in the military...

Survey: Most troops say gays are no problem - Army News | News from Afghanistan & Iraq - Army Times

2. chicowalker

chicowalker Rookie

Ratings:
    +146 / 2 / -1

I wonder what McCain would say, as he awkwardly tried to make more excuses in running away from his prior stated postitions...
  3. DarrylS

DarrylS PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +151 / 3 / -19

I am sure we will find out.. stay tuned.
  4. reflexblue

reflexblue PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +20 / 3 / -0

#91 Jersey

I use to respect the guy years ago but now hes an old white haired fool. And yeah he'll twist it some way so he won't have to agree with it, hes probably working on it right now.
    Last edited: Nov 30, 2010
  5. IcyPatriot

IcyPatriot ------------- PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +477 / 2 / -10

#87 Jersey

we're getting there ... slowly ... the troops are a few generations removed from some of the biased upper echelon who have the backing of the moron McCain. I hope this is accomplished under Obama's administration - as it should be ... cutting as many ties to prejudices of the past as possible.
  6. IcyPatriot

IcyPatriot ------------- PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +477 / 2 / -10

#87 Jersey

Maybe his more intelligent daughter will beat him to the punch and leave him with no wiggle room.:cool::cool::cool:.
  7. bmf31c

bmf31c Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

8. The Brandon Five

The Brandon Five Rookie

Ratings:
    +87 / 0 / -1

#75 Jersey

This wasn't hard to predict given that just about every one of our allies has already "integrated" their military forces without issue. That includes the mighty IDF.
  9. Harry Boy

Harry Boy Look Up, It's Amazing PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +297 / 1 / -9

Times are changing, who gives a sh!t what they do, McCain is an old has been who served his country well now he should retire.

F-ck Daylight Savings Time
  10. wistahpatsfan

wistahpatsfan Rookie

Ratings:
    +11 / 0 / -0

Any of those drsft-dodging Congressmen who still get a little erection when they think about the word "gay" yet do everything they can to take their rights from them ...who still act to prevent any of these brave kids from serving their country this way should be forced to jump from a C-130 into a firefight in Khyber Pass.

Better yet, all of their kids should be drafted immediately.

You talk about your anti-American scum! John McCain should have his medals taken away. What a POS!
  11. Real World

Real World Moderator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +249 / 3 / -2

I think people need to look at this a little more carefully. The boys on the frontlines, who IMO matter most at this point at least, overwhelmingly do not want openly gay service members.

I figured this would be the case when I first heard the results reported. I personally believe it's only a matter of time before gays are allowed to serve openly, but I don't think the lead in to that point is as easy, or will happen as quickly, as some people think. The guys on the frontlines are the ones who's opinions will matter most.
  12. JackBauer

JackBauer On the Roster

Ratings:
    +296 / 6 / -5

You mind citing sources that you quote?
  13. blackglass3

blackglass3 PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +20 / 0 / -1

#12 Jersey

I can't believe this is still an issue in 2010. If people want to serve, they should be allowed to serve. If someone else has a problem with it, they can get out.

Edit: For the record, I have been in the Air Force for 14 years
    Last edited: Dec 1, 2010
  14. Real World

Ratings:
    +249 / 3 / -2

15. JackBauer

JackBauer On the Roster

Ratings:
    +296 / 6 / -5

I wonder why the Washington Times, rag that it is, wouldn't write up this finding (from the OP):

16. Real World

Ratings:
    +249 / 3 / -2

Forget that it's the Washington Times, because the information I quoted were Gates' own words, and the statistical facts of the study. Whether the NTY, or WT reported them is inconsequential in that regard. They are direct quotes, and direct statistical figures from the study.

My point is with respect to what the combat troops on the front lines feel, versus what the loading dock, desk clerk, state side intell analyst types think. The powers that be understand the difference between the two lines of soliders. Were this a non combat era, i.e. peacetime, I think they'd weigh the opinions of those on the frontlines with a little less emphasis. However, fighting on two fronts, and with combat soldiers seeing multiple tours, I think the opinion of those doing the actual fighting will be significantly considered in shaping any policy. IMO, as it should be. I think it's only a matter of time before gays will be serving openly. I just don't think the it's going to happen now, and I don't think it's as easy an implementation as some people think.
  17. PatriotsReign

PatriotsReign Rookie

Ratings:
    +151 / 1 / -10

Damn those "Facts & Quotes"!!:mad:
  18. JackBauer

JackBauer On the Roster

Ratings:
    +296 / 6 / -5

While this may be convincing to someone like PatriotsReign, slanted reporting and selective use of facts, statistics, and quotations as seen in the article you cited creates the impression that what you're arguing is true, when in fact the graf contained in the AT piece but conveniently omitted from the Times article reveals your argument for what it largely is: cognitive dissonance.

While we agree that overturning DADT now might not happen, that would be due to Senate Republicans putting a premium on deficit-busting tax cuts for the wealthy (the deficit matters when it comes to attacking Obama but not when it comes to enacting more tax cuts!) at the expense of progress on issues like the aforementioned and START.

Further, I would say that any soldier who can endure hardships in Helmand and the Korengal Valley but who cannot countenance the thought of gays serving in the military should probably either get over it or go back to flipping burgers or pumping gas.
  19. Harry Boy

Harry Boy Look Up, It's Amazing PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +297 / 1 / -9

I see nothing wrong with it the only problem I would have would be if one of them asked me to dance with him.

:bricks:
  20. Real World

Ratings:
    +249 / 3 / -2

Jack, this isn't complicated pal. Personally, I couldn't care less if people in the military are gay or not. What I do care about is whether or not the people who are in the military, and more importantly, whether or not those fighting on the front lines care. With that in mind, these figures are factual, and the quotes direct. There is a difference in the opinions of those who serve behind our lines, versus those who serve on the front. Wisely, the people in charge will put serious consideration into what the latter believe, over the former. Mainly because we are fighting a war. If this were peacetime circa the 1990's then it might be different.

Typical. Said from the comfort of his mom's basement.
    Last edited: Dec 1, 2010