Welcome to PatsFans.com

Army Reports Suicides Increased

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by Leave No Doubt, Jan 30, 2009.

1. Leave No Doubt

Leave No Doubt PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +10 / 0 / -0

2. Patters

Patters Moderator Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +593 / 24 / -19

Just yesterday I talked with a therapist I know who works with veterans. Many of the Iraqi ones suffer from PTSD. Life in Iraq is living in almost constant terror for them, as they drive down the roads fearing that anything thrown or even garbage in the road could be a bomb. It's nonstop stress for many of them. And those who were near an explosion, even if they weren't injured, the stress is worse, and they get very depressed being unable to return to the time that a piece of garbage in the road was just a piece or garbage. And those of are vets. For many of those who are in the military, it must be even worse.

3. Leave No Doubt

Ratings:
    +10 / 0 / -0

PTSD will no longer earn a Purple Heart, as there is no physical injury.
    Troops won't get Purple Heart for stress disorder - CNN.com

Ironically,within the article is another one saying the US will send 3000 more troops to Afghanistan:(

4. Harry Boy

Harry Boy Look Up, It's Amazing PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +1,143 / 5 / -10

GW Bush called up the Beautiful Prince Obama and told him to do this.

If anything bad happens during the "Messiah Term" it's all Bush's fault.

5. Patters

Ratings:
    +593 / 24 / -19

That's awful. It's still that old attitude towards mental illness -- that somehow it's not real, i.e., it's all in your head. For some reason, there's a certain kind of person who thinks that the heart, liver, kidneys, and lungs can be defective, but the brain cannot. The stresses of war, of living in constant danger, seeing death and destruction, is as a real as a bomb.

The Pentagon statement says,

"PTSD is an anxiety disorder caused by witnessing or experiencing a traumatic event; it is not a wound intentionally caused by the enemy from an 'outside force or agent' but is a secondary effect caused by witnessing or experiencing a traumatic event."

Terrorists don't care about the emotional damage they commit? If that was true, then the word "terror" would have no meaning. Of course terrorists want to commit terror, and it's not a secondary event, it's part of the event.

6. Leave No Doubt

Ratings:
    +10 / 0 / -0

It IS awful Patters. If we're going to send our young men and women off to war, the LEAST we can do is take care of them when they get home:mad:

It's not as if PTSD is something UNUSUAL for veterans or just inherent to these wars. It's a side effect of ANY war I'd imagine, and any soldier is a candidate for it. Then you add the stress their families must go through as they welcome their son/daughter/husband/etc back,only to find this person is totally messed up.

Instead of taking care of them they're made to feel ashamed and somehow "weaker" for it.

The casualties of war are many. :mad:

7. Leave No Doubt

Ratings:
    +10 / 0 / -0

Pakistan will belong to Obama (assuming the Afghan escalates which it appears to be doing). :(

8. Real World

Real World Moderator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +911 / 7 / -3

We all better hope, and pray, that Pakistan never happens.

As for Vets, it's obviously troubling, and these men and women should get the treatment they deserve.

9. Leave No Doubt

Ratings:
    +10 / 0 / -0

10. Leave No Doubt

Ratings:
    +10 / 0 / -0

So if the US gets increasingly involved in sustained wars, we'll eventually become a nation full of messed up people,families torn apart by death and/or life-changing injuries, and growing numbers of stressed-up,traumatized, mentally unbalanced soldiers.

And those of us fortunate enough not to be directly affected as posted above, will necessarily become war-ized, much like the citizens of some of the countries we're presently fighting.

No wonder gun sales are off the charts:cool:

11. Lifer

Lifer Banned

Ratings:
    +26 / 0 / -0

But the Iraqi people have more freedom!!! WOOOOOO-HOOOOOOOOO!!!!!

12. Leave No Doubt

Ratings:
    +10 / 0 / -0

Seriously. The wars may not be fought on our soil but I think we're going to be paying a very hefty price for our "safety".

13. wistahpatsfan

wistahpatsfan Pro Bowl Player

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -1

#75 Jersey

Don't worry, the debt doesn't matter anymore....

14. Leave No Doubt

Ratings:
    +10 / 0 / -0

Poor and crazy:D

15. atomdomb

atomdomb Third String But Playing on Special Teams

Ratings:
    +19 / 0 / -0

I feel for these soilders and I hope the treatment they need is delivered to them. We should take all the money we give to illegals and bums and use it to care and pay our fighters. That being said what has changed over the last fifty years. My grandfathers returned home from the war in the Pacific and with the rest of the vets built this country into what is today. I am sure they had post traumatic stress but it seems that men have changed over the years. My grandma told us for years after the war my grandfather would cry in his sleep for years after the war because of the friends he lost. He rarely talked about it but he saw some crazy stuff. The worst was the Japs pulling his best friend underground on Iwo and them finding his body days later. No amount of therapy would have ever helped him get rid of those images.

How did he then raise a family of seven kids, start an aluminum foundry, (from about the 1970 and 1985 he made $5,000/day! Figure out that number with inflation) live a very successful charitable life, and die happily surrounded by family and 45 grandchildren. He had nothing when he returned from the war. My other grandfather is very similar but didn't make the same amount of crazy bank and is still alive. I never hear about these success stories anymore. I mostly hear about what a mess soilders are when they get back. What has happened or do we just deal differently with problems in life as compared to 50 years ago?

Last edited: Jan 30, 2009
  16. Patters

Ratings:
    +593 / 24 / -19

Society didn't talk about problems 50 years ago. If someone was injured, it was considered a family secret. In addition, in each war we do a better job at keeping people alive. Many more people died in the battlefield in early wars, thus fewer as a percentage of the active forces required long-term care. Because we do talk about these things, our tolerance for war has declined. It took 60,000 Americans deaths in Vietnam before the country finally turned against the war. It took only 4,000 deaths in Iraq for that to happen. I think that's progress.

There are still plenty of success stories, but 50 years ago, our economy was far more vibrant than it is today. I think it would be much harder for someone to start an aluminum foundry today without gathering substantial financial backing.

17. Wildo7

Wildo7 Totally Full of It

Ratings:
    +49 / 16 / -3

I believe atombomb just called all the soldiers that suffer PTSD "pussies." Congrats on dancing around what you were trying to say in such a totally cowardly fashion.

18. DarrylS

DarrylS PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +824 / 27 / -33

PTSDT is misunderstood, and difficult to comprehend for military brass.. everyone is supposed to suck it up... and PTSDT can best be described as a "wussy thing"by many, look what I did and saw and I don't have it... I do suspect that in our lifetime it will change.. I know WWII vets with PTSDT and they do not know what it is.. my fa in law was a Korean Vet.. he could never talk about it, even on his death bed..my father was on D-Day and could not ever talk about it.. war is hell, the outcomes are always unexpected and there are many casualties for life.

19. atomdomb

atomdomb Third String But Playing on Special Teams

Ratings:
    +19 / 0 / -0

First of all, I didn't call them pussies but I will say that you are a d i c k h e a d. There, that's better.

20. Leave No Doubt

Ratings:
    +10 / 0 / -0

:agree: Years ago they didn't have a name for what veterans went through, and often PTSD doesn't always show up right away and I'm sure it affects people differently and to different degrees as well. Some cases are probably worse than others but one thing's for sure; I doubt anyone can go to war and not come back somehow changed forever.

How can anyone see so much horror, feel so much terror and pain practically 24/7,leave their hearts,souls,and guts out there, and NOT be affected is beyond me but obviously there are exceptions to that I'm sure.

I think if the military (and people in general) stopped judging war veterans that would go a long way towards improving the situation. To call any person who's been through battle less than heroic or less "manly" or less of a soldier, is just wrong.

I can see why the military would want to hide the fact so many veterans have serious problems, especially now when things are about to escalate in the Middle East, but that doesn't make it right, and we citizens they protected certainly shouldn't do any judging either.

It doesn't matter how messed up they are, we all owe them and so does the military:mad: