Welcome to PatsFans.com

Army Recruits an autistic youth in Portland, Or....

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by DarrylS, May 11, 2006.

1. DarrylS

DarrylS PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +703 / 20 / -30

Seems that the Army made a mistake by recruiting an autistic youth in Portland, Oregon...

http://www.oregonlive.com/printer/printer.ssf?/base/news/1146882329307730.xml&coll=7

Jared Guinther is 18. Tall and lanky, he will graduate from Marshall High School in June. Girls think he's cute, until they try to talk to him and he stammers or just stands there -- silent.
    Diagnosed with autism at age 3, Jared is polite but won't talk to people unless they address him first. It's hard for him to make friends. He lives in his own private world.
    Jared didn't know there was a war raging in Iraq until his parents told him last fall -- shortly after a military recruiter stopped him outside a Southeast Portland strip mall and complimented him on his black Converse All Stars.
    "When Jared first started talking about joining the Army, I thought, 'Well, that isn't going to happen,' " said Paul Guinther, Jared's father. "I told my wife not to worry about it. They're not going to take anybody in the service who's autistic."
    But they did. Last month, Jared came home with papers showing that he not only had enlisted, but also had signed up for the Army's most dangerous job: cavalry scout. He is scheduled to leave for basic training Aug. 16.

...After learning that Jared had cleared this first hurdle toward enlistment, Brenda said, she called and asked for Ansley's supervisor and got Sgt. Alejandro Velasco.
    She said she begged Velasco to review Jared's medical and school records. Brenda said Velasco declined, asserting that he didn't need any paperwork. Under military rules, recruiters are required to gather all available information about a recruit and fill out a medical screening form.
    "He was real ****y and he says, 'Well, Jared's an 18-year-old man. He doesn't need his mommy to make his decisions for him.' "

2. bmf31c

bmf31c Third String But Playing on Special Teams

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Some recruiter is going to get relieved (fired).

3. Harry Boy

Harry Boy Look Up, It's Amazing PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +969 / 2 / -9

The "batty liberals" should love this doesn't it fit right into their weepy anti discrimination sh!t.

Aren't there some liberals that would like to see a 110 lb girl playing football for the Patriots, there are also some that would like to put a girl in the ring with Mike Tyson.

4. milwaukeebeers44

milwaukeebeers44 On the Game Day Roster

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Um, no.

People with true autism BY DEFINITION are generally not capable of performing in a military environment.

Read the article- it's not about letting the kid in; it's about the mechanisms used to put him in (including the untruths that some recruiters told).

5. mgcolby

mgcolby Woohoo, I'm a VIP!!! PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +14 / 0 / -0

Another "hey thanks for the service. We support the troops" post. People do stupid things from time to time, especially when they are under a lot of pressure. But hey anything to make the military look bad. Good job enjoy your freedom!!!

6. bmf31c

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Recruiting has to be the worse job in the Army, it's like a death mark or something. For those of you who don't know they have to put out to Board Members on the Senior NCO selection boards to NOT hold recruiting duty performance against people.

Recruiting=Bad

I was actually picked up for recruiting duty but got out of it, thank God.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 21, 2005
  7. mgcolby

Ratings:
    +14 / 0 / -0

I didn't realize that Senior NCO selection boards looked down on recruiting duty. I understand that being a Drill Sergeant is more respected but most have to do either one or the other. I would not want to be under the amount of pressure recruiters during peace time let alone during a war. I don't condone what that recruiter did especially the way he disrespected the kids mother (hell that goes against everything the military stands for) but I can see how some will try and cut corners. What I don't get is how he got through MEPS without being flagged.

8. bmf31c

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

It's not that they look down on it, it's that most people suck at it. If your station doesn't meet mission, you get a crappy NCOER. So you are 1/1 your entire career, then you get 2/3 or 3/3 because you are a recruiter in East Bumf**k and don't make mission.
    The board is suppossed to "look over" you being the suck as a recruiter and look at your pervious duty performance. This was a result of a trend of low recruiter selection over a few boards. When members of those boards where questioned, they answered that they had not selected those with currently poor evals, even though they had prior above standard performance.
    Hence, the don't look down at a bad recruiter if he has been a good performer previously.

9. mgcolby

Ratings:
    +14 / 0 / -0

Gotcha. I didn't look at the NCOER aspect of it.

10. ELOrocks17

ELOrocks17 Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Yeah, can you imagine what the frickin ACLU would do if the military denied this kid?

11. Harry Boy

Harry Boy Look Up, It's Amazing PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +969 / 2 / -9

Not only the ACLU there are politically correct liberals right on this board that would be squawking.
    :rocker:

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 21, 2005
  12. sdaniels7114

sdaniels7114 Experienced Starter w/First Big Contract

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0

Ehh. I figure if the kid wants to try he'll either pass basic training or wash out. Whatever Drill Seargent that ends up living in the kid's face for the next 13 weeks is much better equipt to make that call than any of us. There's something about refusing to let him try to measure up during this time of war that grates on me. The fact that he's capable of doing High-school level academics seems to say that he's not deeply Autistic.