PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Arizona at Washington replay on NFL Network

Status
Not open for further replies.

FibSeq13478

On the Game Day Roster
Reaction score
The replay of Sunday's game is now on NFL Network (10:30PM EST).

I think some here should watch this. Particularly the 'Skins trolls.

Here are some snipets of the recap from the Washington Post:

"As Neil Rackers lined up for a game-winning field goal attempt yesterday, the prevailing thought of some of the Washington Redskins was not whether Arizona's place kicker would succeed, but how this circumstance had even come to be. Another second-half lead had wilted, with Washington's offense undermining another strong defensive effort, and three hours of work was reduced to the trajectory of Rackers's 55-yard kick with seven seconds left.

It sailed slightly wide of the left upright, and the Redskins survived the Cardinals' wild fourth-quarter pursuit, 21-19, at FedEx Field, despite giving up 13 unanswered points. Still, the team is 4-2, a mark that inspired joy in Coach Joe Gibbs after a game that mystified others.

"I enjoy every single win, I don't really care how it comes or how we get it," Gibbs said. "I am thrilled with this one."

That's probably why you haven't gotten nearly as many as your talent should have dictated Joe...

"The imbalance between Washington's defense and offense has been startling for much of Gibbs's second stint as Redskins coach, perhaps never more so than yesterday...

The Redskins were outgained 364 net yards to 160; quarterback Jason Campbell managed just 95 yards passing and former Pro Bowl tailback Clinton Portis continued to sputter (43 yards on 18 attempts). Washington's running game averaged only 2.6 yards per carry; the Redskins have averaged 3.3 yards per carry the past five games. Thus a 21-6 third-quarter lead nearly evaporated, eliciting flashbacks to recent losses to the New York Giants and Green Bay.

"We've got to learn to keep going after we get ahead," defensive end Phillip Daniels said. "I'm happy for the win, but I'm not happy with the way we finished."

Maybe Snyder should pay this young man to hang up his cleats and coach...

"Warner, playing with a bulky brace after tearing ligaments in his non-throwing elbow last week, was intercepted again midway through the second quarter. "I basically spotted them 14 points," the former NFL MVP said."

Something Brady is simple not going to do.

The Redskins scored late in the third quarter on a 59-yard march, the only significant drive by the offense, again with Portis navigating across the goal line from the 1. They had as many first downs on that drive -- five -- as they did in the rest of the game combined. None of Washington's other second-half drives took more than 2 minutes 28 seconds, or lasted more than four plays. The Redskins had three three-and-outs in the fourth quarter, gaining 17 total yards.

"Our defense is always going to give us a chance," Portis said. "But as an offense we have to go out and put up points."

After Portis's second touchdown, 20:47 remained; the Cardinals held the ball for 15:42 of that span and had 191 net yards in the fourth quarter.

The Redskins had them stopped twice on third down on the ensuing drive after going up by 15 points, but on the first play rookie safety LaRon Landry was penalized 15 yards for a late hit on an incomplete pass, which he disputed. "I thought [wide receiver Larry Fitzgerald] caught the ball, and I was just trying to tag him out," Landry said.

Fletcher made another crushing tackle to stall the drive outside the 20-yard line, but was penalized for taunting Arizona's sideline after the play. Fletcher said he was intending the antics only for the fans. "It shouldn't have been a penalty," Fletcher said.

WOW

Warner found Boldin deep in the end zone on third down from the 10 on another improvised play to complete the drive, then utilized a bevy of screens and short passes to move 70 yards on eight plays, with backup quarterback Tim Rattay tossing a one-yard pass to Leonard Pope to make it 21-19.

Ken Whisenhunt, a former Redskin who is the Cardinals' coach, called a direct snap to Boldin for the two-point conversion. As he rolled closer to the right sideline, Landry knew Boldin "had nowhere to go, he was going to throw the ball back," he said, and when the pass came Landry caught it. Undaunted, the Cardinals recovered an onside kick with 20 seconds to play and moved 22 yards to set up Rackers, whose kick set sail for the center of the goal post, then curled wide of the upright."

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2007/10/21/AR2007102100744.html

Sorry, I know its just one game... but watching that left me less than impressed with the Washington defense. I've been reading all week about how this will be the toughest defense the Patriots will face so far, but beyond the hard hitting tackles they make, they really look pretty mediocre... at least they did last week (against a wounded Kurt Warner).

And that offense ? Won't break 17 points.

That's a win... and they may even cover yet again.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back