PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Aren't we all going a little overboard?

Status
Not open for further replies.
All I have heard this week is how the Patriots are going to win the Super Bowl and Tom Brady is the greatest QB ever...it is as if the Packers are not going to even show up. Also can someone please note that Brady almost threw three picks last Sunday; if it is was not for the butterfingers of the Bears the whole complexion of the game would have been different.

I agree with you. The Patriots seem invincible right now, which makes me nervous. However, I think the team 's motto is "don't buy the hype" and they aren't reading the fluff stories like we are. I'm hoping that 2007 taught them a valuable lesson.

I haven't seen a single person going overboard. What I've seen is people saying:

1) Pats are the best team in football right now.

2) Brady should win the MVP.

3) It's very likely we're going to win the division, and we're in the driver's seat for home field.

If you can tell me any of those are NOT true, then we're going overboard.

I dont know I have seen some posts and read some articles that have said that anything less than the SB would be a disappointment at this point and that people should start booking their hotels in Dallas.

It really is amazing of how much the mood of this message board can change from week to week. It would be pretty interesting to see this board if the Pats lose this Sunday night to Matt Flynn and the Packers.

I agree with you. The Patriots seem invincible right now, which makes me nervous. However, I think the team 's motto is "don't buy the hype" and they aren't reading the fluff stories like we are. I'm hoping that 2007 taught them a valuable lesson.

Me too. The reason I wouldn't be even remotely skeptical if this team still had the likes of Bruschi, Vrabel ,and Harrison leading the defense. While I love the way the young D is playing, their inexperience with this is concerting. I do believe that BB does a better job than anyone keeping them in check and grounded, but there are a lot of young, new players. Their toughest opponent for the rest of the season will be health and themselves.

Last edited:
Me too. The reason I wouldn't be even remotely skeptical if this team still had the likes of Bruschi, Vrabel ,and Harrison leading the defense. While I love the way the young D is playing, their inexperience with this is concerting. I do believe that BB does a better job than anyone keeping them in check and grounded, but there are a lot of young, new players. Their toughest opponent for the rest of the season will be health and themselves.

I know where we can get a good conditioning coach cheap for the rest of the year that can offer us a 'competitive' advantage....

Last edited:

He does have a point though, the Ravens game is the only game that the Pats have really been in that was fairly tight throughout and the defense could not sit back and relax with a double digit lead. I am in the minority that still is not 100% sold on the defense that they are ready to win in the playoffs when the offense doesnt give them a double digit lead to work with. Dont get me wrong, they are having a very good season, exceeding mine and many others expectations, but I still am not 100% sold on them being ready for what may come in the playoffs.

I am trying my best to not re-adjust my expectations too much. This is still a reload/rebuild/bridge season, and I fully believe that next year (please no lockout!) and in 2012 we will be a better, deeper, more complete team.

My hope coming into the season was to simply make the playoffs and when we got there to not lay a stinker like last year. In no way was I thinking Championship. I was thinking be competitive, maybe make it to the AFC CG, have something to build on with regard to giving the young guys experience.

All of the recent success begs me to re-adjust, especially since I am very used to aiming high: this is the first year since 2001 when, going into the season, I was NOT thinking of an NFL championship as an attainable goal.

So for me, I have adjusted and anything less than a Lombardi will be a disappointment, but in no way will it be devastating. I am enjoying the journey, however far it goes, and I sure hope it goes all the way.

Last edited:
He does have a point though, the Ravens game is the only game that the Pats have really been in that was fairly tight throughout and the defense could not sit back and relax with a double digit lead. I am in the minority that still is not 100% sold on the defense that they are ready to win in the playoffs when the offense doesnt give them a double digit lead to work with. Dont get me wrong, they are having a very good season, exceeding mine and many others expectations, but I still am not 100% sold on them being ready for what may come in the playoffs.

They were also struggling and down 11 points to Detroit (ok, not a good team) midway through the second quarter and playing on the road with 3 days rest. Then went on a 42-10 outburst. I'd say that's another example of overcoming some adversity.

I'm trying to take this thing one game at a time just like the team.

I don't like that they're the talk of the league right now, but what were they supposed to do? Lose on purpose? Play crappy and barely win to stay under the radar? The media needs someone to crown in December, and the Pats played so well they got the wreaths.

Just try to enjoy the ride. Every Sunday/Monday has been an experience, even the losses. The team has shown they're playing at a high level, and I'm thoroughly enjoying it. If they don't make it to the Super Bowl, oh well, neither did 29 other teams. It won't be for lack of trying.

They were also struggling and down 11 points to Detroit (ok, not a good team) midway through the second quarter and playing on the road with 3 days rest. Then went on a 42-10 outburst. I'd say that's another example of overcoming some adversity.

The Lions were playing on 3 days rest as well...The Patriots played terrible in the first half of that game, not playing to what they are capable of. The 2nd half showed what they were capable of doing, not so much adversity.

As far as "almost" throwing three picks, first I only remember two, and one was a ridiculous effort by #54 to get his hands on a ball, and the other was on a tipped pass. Neither was a bad throw, just good defensive effort. And trust me, neither would have effected the outcome of that game.

SSDD

Urlacher probably should have picked off one, but the other two tipped balls were just that: tipped. They came down nowhere near defenders.

Urlacher probably should have picked off one, but the other two tipped balls were just that: tipped. They came down nowhere near defenders.

Actually that first tip was in and out of the hands of a bears defender too, he just couldn't hang onto it.

The Lions were playing on 3 days rest as well...The Patriots played terrible in the first half of that game, not playing to what they are capable of. The 2nd half showed what they were capable of doing, not so much adversity.

I think shmessy was focusing more on the fact that it was an away game with a three day rest, which is more difficult on the visitors.

All I have heard this week is how the Patriots are going to win the Super Bowl and Tom Brady is the greatest QB ever...it is as if the Packers are not going to even show up. Also can someone please note that Brady almost threw three picks last Sunday; if it is was not for the butterfingers of the Bears the whole complexion of the game would have been different.

You are only hearing that from the media and fan discussion. I guarantee you that there is no mention of "superbowl" or "greatest" in the Patriots locker room, and that's all that's important.

I think shmessy was focusing more on the fact that it was an away game with a three day rest, which is more difficult on the visitors.

Precisely.

The Pats narrowly escaped Peyton Manning at 7:30pm on Sunday night.

They had 2 days of practice and then a travel day.

The Lions had 3 days of practice and no travel.

Plus the Lions play that game every year. 50% of that team had at least two years of experience with a Thanksgiving Day game.

Add to that, the Pats being down 14-3 in the first half and getting KILLED by the Detroit D-line. Anyone who thinks Scarnecchia and that OL didn't have to readjust and reinvent on the fly, needs to pay more attention.

Yeah, but it isnt like they will be faced in any sort of situation like that again. Lions really didnt have that much more of an advantage because of that. Bottom line is besides the Ravens game this defense hasnt truly been tested wire to wire.

Yeah, but it isnt like they will be faced in any sort of situation like that again. Lions really didnt have that much more of an advantage because of that. Bottom line is besides the Ravens game this defense hasnt truly been tested wire to wire.

....and you evidently missed the Colts game, too.

....and you evidently missed the Colts game, too.

Pats had a 17 point lead in the 4th quarter....

The D played terrible in the 4th, if it wasnt for Sanders' INT bailing them out they were looking at OT or even a loss. I understand they were in the prevent and yards werent really a concern, but they did allow the Colts to score on drives of less than 3 minutes twice. Belichick even commented on how they didnt play a full 60 minutes that week, the Jets has been the only game all year where the team played a full 60 minutes.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back