Welcome to PatsFans.com

Are young Americans really as ignorant as Jay Leno says they are?

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by PatriotsReign, Jul 11, 2010.

1. PatriotsReign

PatriotsReign Rookie

Ratings:
    +208 / 3 / -10

Last edited: Jul 11, 2010
  2. reflexblue

reflexblue PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +30 / 3 / -0

#91 Jersey

I've watched "jay walking'' with amazment for years, i've come to the conclusion that yes some people are that dumb, and that they must save the dumbest to put on t.v. That being said they're have been teachers that haven't know the simplest questions which is really concerning.
  3. PatriotsReign

PatriotsReign Rookie

Ratings:
    +208 / 3 / -10

What I don't understand Flex is how education has changed as much as it seems to have. How can people NOT know basic American history? Stuff I'll never forget and the same prolly applies to you as well.

What has happened that has made so many people not know these basic things?
  4. chicowalker

chicowalker On the Roster

Ratings:
    +159 / 2 / -2

I'm not sure I buy the premise here, PR -- too much to go into on my phone, but I think many Americans of all ages, not just the young, are pretty stupid and/or ignorant.
  5. PatriotsReign

PatriotsReign Rookie

Ratings:
    +208 / 3 / -10

I would put a 50-something up against a 20-something (both college educated) for a history quiz anytime. Also, I'd do the same for mathematics and basic formula's as well.

My 17 year old nephew recently asked me how I can do math so easily in my head. He also said, "how do recall formula's from high school and college at my age?

I told him it's called "Basic memory 101"....think he said something like, "Whatever...." :confused2:
  6. reflexblue

Ratings:
    +30 / 3 / -0

#91 Jersey

I agree, about ten years ago i tool some classes in economics and philosophy for a couple of semesters at a private collage. (Work paid for them) I was astounded by the lack of general knowlage by the kids in the moral phil class. The professor would apply different philosophy's too every day events in the news, and past history. I'd say upwards of 90% of the kids in the class were clueless. Sitting there listening to them talk they could care less about what was going on around them in the world.

I remember college in the 70's the people in the classes knew what going on and cared. Even my friends that didn't go to college were very well informed.
  7. Mrs.PatsFanInVa

Mrs.PatsFanInVa PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +370 / 8 / -3

#11 Jersey

If you consider the fact that we, the "fifty year olds" are most likely the parents of all of "them," the "twenty year olds," (and we are) and "they" don't know half the stuff that "we" know - then "we" probably did a pizzpoor job of teaching "them," didn't we?

I think they're alot smarter than we're giving them credit for here. Like every other generation, they have their smart ones and their dumb ones - and each has a talent which is his or her's alone. They may not be math wizards but maybe they can program a computer faster than we can add up a column of numbers in our head.

Some skills fall by the wayside when they're no longer needed - math would be one of those to some extent. Way back when I first worked in a grocery store we had to count a person's change back to them - now the register does it for the clerk. How do you retain what you never have to do once you've learned it in school?

New skills take their place. I doubt there's a 50 year old today who can program their television, their cell phone or their frikkin alarm clock faster than a 10 year old can - or with half the success.

Sour grapes to pick on them when whatever they don't know is whatever we didn't teach them.
  8. chicowalker

chicowalker On the Roster

Ratings:
    +159 / 2 / -2

Perhaps. I just think it's common to criticize younger generations thus way, while ignoring the stupidity and/or ignorance of their elders.

I do think that educational levels have lost some meaning, though. A college degree probably meant more 50 years ago, when fewer people attended college. (That is a complete assumption on my part)
  9. reflexblue

Ratings:
    +30 / 3 / -0

#91 Jersey

I can program my cell phone and tell you were zimbabwae is and what it was before it became zimbabwae
  10. KontradictioN

KontradictioN Do you even lift? PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +1,095 / 25 / -46

No Jersey Selected

I'd take that Pepsi challenge.
  11. Real World

Real World Moderator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +317 / 4 / -2

Society is just flat stupid. Not everyone of course, but there are more morons roaming the streets today, than there were 30 years ago. There's not one singular reason why, and I'd venture to guess some of the many, would be the advent of technology (no one needs to spell, learn geopgraphy, math, etc when you can spell check, gps, and use a calculator), the lack of parenting (split parents, or 2 working parents), the lemon factory that is the government monopoly on education, video games, the internet, TV, appologism (we make excuses for everyone today), MTV, and whatever else you can think of. There is no excuse for people to not know what continent we live on, on what coast borders what ocean.

BTW, I'm curious to see if someone will come in here, and criticize the OP for trying to make Americans look bad. Oh, and then say the OP is doing this, cuz he wants to make himself look smahtah. I wont hold my breath though.
  12. Real World

Ratings:
    +317 / 4 / -2

This thread reminds of a kid who lives in one of my apartments. He's a genuinely good kid, but he always calls the office when he's coming in to pay the rent, and when he does, he asks me "are you working today? You guys open?". One of these months, I'm going to say no, just to see what he says.
  13. PatriotsReign

PatriotsReign Rookie

Ratings:
    +208 / 3 / -10

When I was 12 years old, I road my bike from Weymouth to Rockland to stay overnight with a friend I met over my uncles house (in Rockland). The trip was around 10-12 miles total. I probably had to make 20-something turns onto various roads, but I knew the way by heart cause the kid lived near my uncle.

Most teens I know today don't even know how to get to a town that borders their own. My 17 year old nephew still has a hard time figuring out how to the get to the Randolph cinema that I've been taking him to for 10 years! Route 123 is 2 miles from his house and when I tell him to drive to it, he gets confused.

I know my way around most of New England and could find my way to any of the 6 states without a map the day I got my liscense! I think most of my friends could too.

It's just my opinion, but I'd venture to say that most kids don't pay much attention to their surroundings anymore.
    Last edited: Jul 12, 2010
  14. wistahpatsfan

wistahpatsfan Rookie

Ratings:
    +11 / 0 / -0

Friday morning, I had a college graduate do a job for me...a really easy one: Go to Home Depot and get me three parts for a tool I needed to repair. I wrote the exact sizes and names of the parts I needed and my cell phone number. I gave him a Mapquest map with directions written out on another page. He showed up four hours later with all the wrong parts.

I asked what took him so long and how he could get every part wrong?

"I got lost and didn't have my GPS with me"
    "What about the map and directions?"
    "I think I was holding the map wrong"
    "What about the directions?"
    "The street sign was missing on one of the turns"
    "Did you notice the exact mileage shown between each turn?"
    "Is that what those numbers mean?"
    "YES! That's what mi. means! MILES!"
    "Ohhhhhhh"
    "So why didn't you call me?"
    "I didn't want to bother you"
    "OK...So how did you confuse a half-inch galvanized hex nut with a half-inch lock washer?"
    "Jeez, man. I'm not, like, a mechanic or nothin"

We're screwed.
  15. Real World

Ratings:
    +317 / 4 / -2

I think we are screwed, and it's only getting worse, with the 10, 20, 30 million 3rd world illegals, who are illiterate and uneducated. The one thing the current generation does have a grasp of, is technology. You can hand a teenager any cell phone you find, and they'll figure out how to text, download useless ringtones, and take pictures of themselves to instantly upload to their Facebook pages.
  16. Patriot_in_NY

Patriot_in_NY Rookie

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -0

Sad to watch that video.......... Part of me thinks that they must have to film for like hours and hours and interview hundreds of people to find the 5-6 really dumb ones to put on.

That's the optimist in me though. I'm sure probably some of that is going on, but the sad truth is that our society is just so focused on other stuff that basic history like this is just not important to the masses. Very sad.
  17. Real World

Ratings:
    +317 / 4 / -2

I don't doubt that they shop for the funny people. I'm reminded of the video I posted though, where they asked people when 9/11 happened, and some said August. [​IMG]
  18. PatriotsReign

PatriotsReign Rookie

Ratings:
    +208 / 3 / -10

That's a riot and sad at the sam time Wistah. And if you gave the kid a hard time about messing up, they're so much more sensitive today than when we were kids. We all got yelled a lot when we messed up. Today, parents don't yell nearly as much...they "sit down and discuss what went wrong":confused:

Some actually believe that's the "right way"...but it's not. If you screw up, someone should lay into you about it so you don't do it again! No one should be saying sh1t like "at least you tried and I'm sure you'll do better next time"!!!!! What kind of crap is that? :bricks:
  19. PatsWSB47

PatsWSB47 Rookie

Ratings:
    +119 / 0 / -1

#12 Jersey

I watched a movie the other day whose writers probably were obviously a little ignorant and obviously not in their 50’s. The scene was of a poor southern single mom back in the 60's whose little boy got in the icing she was using on her made from scratch cake....only he had got into a "can" of icing and she had "no idea" how she would frost the cake now. She sent him over to the neighbors to see if they had a can, lol.
  20. Mrs.PatsFanInVa

Mrs.PatsFanInVa PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +370 / 8 / -3

#11 Jersey

“I see no hope for the future of our people if they are dependent on the frivolous youth of today, for certainly all youth are reckless beyond words. When I was a boy, we were taught to be discrete and respectful of elders, but the present youth are exceedingly wise and impatient of restraint.”

Hesiod
    (Greek poet, "the father of Greek didactic poetry", 700bc)